• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3 Titles' Fansubs Pulled on Behalf of Japan's d-rights

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bugmenot2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:50 pm Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
[...]

If you can't afford anime or games then don't steal it. Its that simple [...]

If you can't afford food or a place to live then don't steal it. It's that simple
Kireek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
bugmenot2 wrote:
Kireek wrote:
[...]

If you can't afford anime or games then don't steal it. Its that simple [...]

If you can't afford food or a place to live then don't steal it. It's that simple

well observed there....and you were getting at what exactly??? Tell me do you depend on games or anime at all?? Do you need them to live?

I also suggest you read my previouse post before your post you have just put up

(Or have I misqouted you??? Id like to think so but im not so sure with a post like that) Or maybe I havnt seeing as I have just seen this post read the answers to the things you wrote down. animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=598437&highlight=#598437
bugmenot2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:31 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
[...]

Also, don't be so sure about that "no consequences" defense. I've heard in a few years we'll have some tools to track down people who go on sites for illegal anime uploads like Youtube and such, and if so, then that's awesome. Soon people WILL be doing the time and those not caught will realize there can be consequences and will cease downloading/streaming.

[...]

That's not awesome, it's downright scary and a total invasion of privacy.

"I've heard in a few years we'll have some tools to track down people who say things against their government in the privacy of their own home, and if so, that's awesome."
Kireek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
bugmenot2 wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
[...]

Also, don't be so sure about that "no consequences" defense. I've heard in a few years we'll have some tools to track down people who go on sites for illegal anime uploads like Youtube and such, and if so, then that's awesome. Soon people WILL be doing the time and those not caught will realize there can be consequences and will cease downloading/streaming.

[...]

"I've heard in a few years we'll have some tools to track down people who say things against their government in the privacy of their own home, and if so, that's awesome."

Oh I see so its not allright for them to invade peoples privacy (which well its not)....... But its perfectly allright for people to ILLEGALLY downlaod.

I have an insane idea if you are scared of them coming to your house then dont illegally download? (Or again does your life depend on illegal dowloading???? I dont think so)
bugmenot2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
bugmenot2 wrote:
doctordoom85 wrote:
[...]

[...]

Oh I see so its not allright for them to invade peoples privacy (which well its not)....... But its perfectly allright for people to ILLEGALLY downlaod.

I have an insane idea if you are scared of them coming to your house then don't illegally download? (Or again does your life depend on illegal dowloading???? I don't think so)

I've read this whole thread, post after post, and I get to your post here. From what I've read so far, you are freaking crazy. All you do is shout "ILLEGAL!!! ILLEGAL!!! ILLEGAL DOWNLOADING IS IMMORAL AND WRONG AND IF YOU DISAGREE THEN YOU ARE WRONG BECAUSE IT'S ILLEGAL!!!" [I am PARAPHRASING, here] and throw analogies to times long past, saying things like "Well I saved up pennies for 6 months and carted on down to the old general store to buy a blind anime VCR tape that nobody could or would ever complain about." [again, paraphrasing]

It's been said already but times have changed. There's a thing in this world called "Natural Selection." You either adapt to change or you die.

You need to calm down quite a bit, because your spelling is becoming incoherent.

You attack the two posts I made above as seeming to mean that there is some sense of entitlement. No. Believe it or not personally I buy some anime. Not much, but what I can afford. Those above two posts are applying those presented arguments in a broader, real-world light. Not everyone on Earth is an Anime fan, after all.

Last edited by bugmenot2 on Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
Kireek

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Right thankyou for clearing that up as I said in my other post I hope I have misquoted you there. So there was no need to type in caps yourself. (and call me crazy Question )

(I assume it also applies to the answers that were given to your thoughts here as well) animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=598437&highlight=#598437
bugmenot2

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:19 pm Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
Right thankyou for clearing that up as I said in my other post I hope I have misquoted you there. So there was no need to type in caps yourself. (and call me crazy Question )

(I assume it also applies to the answers that were given to your thoughts here as well) animenewsnetwork.com/bbs/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?p=598437&highlight=#598437

Yeah, that was a bad day. I do try to buy stuff though, when I can. When I can't, I download. It's a bit hypocritical, but hey, who isn't in some way.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:59 pm Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:

Well, essentially, yes. In the U.S. (no clue how it works in the U.K.) unauthorized distribution is pretty much a civil matter between the IP owner and the violator. On the other hand, if law enforcement were to start hunting down people for DLing based solely on their browsing history, they'd arguably be violating the civil rights of U.S. residents guaranteed by the U.S. Constitution. The first amendment (freedom of speech) and fourth (protection against unreasonable search and seizure) come immediately to mind, but the 14th amendment is also often sited when privacy matters are raised. If corporations were to try this on any real scale, dollars to doughnuts they'd be slammed with some sort of law suit.

DLing anime isn't a right, but protection from the state is.
Xanas

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:11 pm Reply with quote
To those who actually applaud privacy violations, why do you believe such tracking abilities would only be used for the "good" of preventing illegal downloads? It's pretty naive to think power of that level would never be used for more corrupt purposes.

Top Gun wrote:

It's no more harmful than running a stop sign with no other cars near the intersection and no pedestrians in the vicinity at 1 in the morning, but that won't stop a traffic cop from pulling you over regardless if he sees you doing it. The law is the law, and just because we don't agree with it doesn't give us free license to ignore it.

To get a little pedantic, the difference is at least in your case there is the potential for there to be a car even if it is 1 in the morning. If you had a spotter on each side of the street that made sure it was OK, it'd be more comparable but it gets silly to take it to such an extreme.

In any case, I imagine most of us regularly "ignore" traffic laws when it suits us. I don't know too many people who never speed, and even if I stop at ever stop sign (and I do), it's merely because of the potential to cause harm. But I don't obey traffic laws for the purpose of obeying them. I obey them because they are generally good guidelines for safety. But, if I'm going 75 or 80 on a 70 mph highway in a dry afternoon, I really don't see the big deal.

Now on the other hand, I'd accept your statement that I should accept the consequences of a possible ticket even for such a minor infraction, but the other difference is that this infraction is ticketed more fairly. It's not going to destroy my life if I get a 100-200$ ticket for going over the speed limit. But, if I get prosecuted for downloading some episodes I can't afford (or want to preview before a purchase choice) the amount of "damages" they'll come up with is a great deal higher than the little ticket.

The entire problem I have with the current laws is the level of punishments just doesn't suit the crime. That, and the fact that monitoring it to the degree you need to catch people regularly is a very scary proposition.
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:10 am Reply with quote
Ah, well, that explains where Slayers Revolution went then...

I was kinda hoping for an official license announcement, but figured it was premature.

I do hope Funimation picks the series up eventually (sooner rather than later) though. And I would be ecstatic if they get the voice cast of the original series back together, or fill in with Premium actors where needed.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 2:58 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
It's no more harmful than running a stop sign with no other cars near the intersection and no pedestrians in the vicinity at 1 in the morning, but that won't stop a traffic cop from pulling you over regardless if he sees you doing it. The law is the law, and just because we don't agree with it doesn't give us free license to ignore it.

Okay, but you think you should not ever break the law simply because it is the law. You haven't really offered a factual reason for that though. Your only real reason is that you could still get caught but what business is it of yours to try and tell others what risk they should or shouldn't take?
Top Gun

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:42 pm Reply with quote
ikillchicken wrote:
Top Gun wrote:

Okay, but you think you should not ever break the law simply because it is the law. You haven't really offered a factual reason for that though. Your only real reason is that you could still get caught but what business is it of yours to try and tell others what risk they should or shouldn't take?

It's my business as a member of society in the interest of maintaining societal order. We should all have at least some vested interest in upholding sensible laws and ensuring that others do also. I won't lie to you and say that I haven't downloaded anything before, but I've also never recommended that others do the same, and indeed I normally recommend against it. Copyright law does exist for a good reason, and I think it's in all of our interests as anime fans to abide by it at least as much as we're able to.

And to Xanas, I know that my analogy didn't hold a whole lot of water, but it was the best I could come up with in terms of following a law because it is a law, whether or not breaking it would have any foreseen consequences. I actually do fully agree with your "punishment fitting the crime" point; thousands of dollars' worth of fines for a few downloads is remarkably excessive. I could see that being fair if one was a chronic uploader, but if it's a question of downloading, then surely making the person pay significantly more than the value of what was downloaded is overdoing it. And no, I don't always strictly follow the speed limit either, though considering how most people on highways drive, if I did so, I'd be going slow enough to pose a danger to both them and myself. Razz
Kireek

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 12:50 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
I won't lie to you and say that I haven't downloaded anything before, but I've also never recommended that others do the same, and indeed I normally recommend against it. Copyright law does exist for a good reason, and I think it's in all of our interests as anime fans to abide by it at least as much as we're able to.

2 hours every Tuesday at my local anime society club..... Thats as far as I personally stray away from abiding the law I refuse to download in mass or leech.... and even then half the shows I have watched at the club I have brought on the basis I liked them. (We also have contacts with the various distributers to work with them on a few occasions they have sent us DVDs to watch) There is simpley no need for me to DL in mass or watch 70 episodes a week lol? to see what I like and dont like.

And if I cant afford 70 episodes for a $140 then guess what? I go without. (And before anyone uses the price of bread analogy just dont... Of course I would steal bread to live.....but do I need anime to live? no I dont so I go without.)
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 8:45 am Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
Quote:
I won't lie to you and say that I haven't downloaded anything before, but I've also never recommended that others do the same, and indeed I normally recommend against it. Copyright law does exist for a good reason, and I think it's in all of our interests as anime fans to abide by it at least as much as we're able to.

2 hours every Tuesday at my local anime society club..... Thats as far as I personally stray away from abiding the law I refuse to download in mass or leech.... and even then half the shows I have watched at the club I have brought on the basis I liked them. (We also have contacts with the various distributers to work with them on a few occasions they have sent us DVDs to watch) There is simpley no need for me to DL in mass or watch 70 episodes a week lol? to see what I like and don't like.

And if I can't afford 70 episodes for a $140 then guess what? I go without. (And before anyone uses the price of bread analogy just don't... Of course I would steal bread to live.....but do I need anime to live? no I don't so I go without.)

Does your anime club have written permission from the license holders to show the anime you view at the club? It's a small thing, but for all your ranting I hope they do. I admit to not knowing how legal/illegal it is, but I do remember reading on numerous occasions, and my own official anime club that you had to have written consent to show anime dvd on not to a group of X number of people. (not sure on that number)

Its just, even those who hold themselves in such high regard over those who download still do things even when they are unaware. And really, if you club shows fansubs and you watch them, just because you don't personally download yourself you still have watched the things. This isn't so much to you, but to others who hold the notion: if I don't download personally, I'm not in the wrong.

I do apologize if my post comes off as preaching or is totally off, but I assumed when you said "thats how far I stray when abiding the law" in reference to anime clubs, you either meant non-permission showings or fansubs.

Edit: I missed the second part of your post somehow, but i'm not understanding what you mean by contracts...? Could you please explain what you meant?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Xanas

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:04 pm Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:

It's my business as a member of society in the interest of maintaining societal order. We should all have at least some vested interest in upholding sensible laws and ensuring that others do also. I won't lie to you and say that I haven't downloaded anything before, but I've also never recommended that others do the same, and indeed I normally recommend against it. Copyright law does exist for a good reason, and I think it's in all of our interests as anime fans to abide by it at least as much as we're able to.

I really agree with your point here for the most part. Though I admit to downloading in public freely, I usually shy far away from telling others they should do so as well. I actually make it a point every time this conversation comes up to lead it towards the "and I am buying a lot too" and trying to hint to the other person (who is many times a purist pirate type) that they should do this as well.

While I speak more strongly against copyright law, my reasons for this are that I just find it problematic to have laws that can't really be enforced (without privacy issues or punishments being unfair). I do think it's better to follow it more often than not.

Being a dub fan, I tend to shy away from steering people at fansubs unless it's of a show I think is too awesome to wait for Razz
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 18 of 19