• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3 Titles' Fansubs Pulled on Behalf of Japan's d-rights

Goto page Previous  

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Blindshinigami86

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quote
u know everyones talking about we shouldnt fansub and it hurts the BIZ but it takes years to get alot of anime to america thought DVD or on TV it doesnt just happen overnight, most fansubs r watched bc someone took the time to record the episode in japan and send it over as a raw and then sub it for free using their own time, i dont see any difference in watching something that would be on tv that we cant see because alot of americans dont speak japanese and cant get to japan to watch the newest of the new, and idk about u but all the subbed anime after 2000 has alot of bad voice actors. you either A. need the story to be good, or B. be a die hard fan of manga and love watching them turned into anime. and those people who dont buy anime either dont buy bc the series wasnt that good or they haven't found a verison they r satisfied with alot of anime fans r insanley picky with what they love and want, and if they dont like or agree with something they all say so
Tsukimi
SPAMMER

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 1:56 pm Reply with quote
When will we get slayers revolution on dvd i wanna see it Sad
why can't companies bring anime here right away instead of us waiting months or yrs.
in my opinion i think fansubs help people know what it is and if its good.
i buy dvds once the series i like has come because i know what they are.
if they had pulled away da capo and i didn't see a series i like on dvd for many yrs that would really suck
shouldn't there be a way that anime companies bring anime here faster if they want to get rid of fansubs?
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:

Being a dub fan, I tend to shy away from steering people at fansubs unless it's of a show I think is too awesome to wait for Razz

Dub fan YAY!

I don't have much to contribute, but at least someone appreciates it. xD
Ergzay

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
First I must say I am one of those fansub watchers. Personally though I don't think there is anyone out there who watches fansubs and doesn't buy at least some DVDs unless they are a kid who just watches them on youtube and is too young to buy DVDs. I do buy DVDs but I do not buy DVDs for every series I watch, or even one quarter of them. If I did I would very quickly go broke. I don't think you should criticize people just because they don't have the money to buy everything they watch because they love anime so much and watch so much of it. I did spend $270 on a 1 TB hard drive to store all this anime that I could have spent on buying the anime itself but the $ per amount of anime is completely different. I simply view downloading anime fansubs as the same thing as watching it on TV in Japan and recording it myself onto DVRs and storing it. I buy anime if I really like it and I have excess money at the time.

The only way digital downloads will actually work (and yes that is the only thing that will work) is to fulfill these things.
1. It has to be cheap.
2. It has to be high quality audio/video.
3. It has to be dual audio or at least have just japanese with subtitles (with styling as a bonus and preferred.)
4. It has to be within a few weeks of the original show time of the anime on Japanese TV.
5. And most importantly it has to have no DRM and be using non-proprietary codecs/players. If they have DRM or proprietary codec/players people will be discouraged from buying them and just continue to use the fansubs they know well and trust to be good.
If they don't hit ALL of those especially #3 and #5 you won't be seeing fansubs ever disappearing. If they do all of those I'll definitely be buying. #3 is the most important for me.
ConceRodz

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 7:42 pm Reply with quote
Guys & Gals,

I know you've heard it all, could anyone point me in the right direction for info?

If Funimation is planning to license them, great, but has not.
Why the C&D letters to the fansub groups now?

Is d-rights the owner of these anime?

I checked on - ANN & Wikipedia - Out of the 5 series found = ONLY ONE =

Bamboo Blade - NO - Production: AIC A.S.T.A.

El Cazador de la Bruja - NO - Production: Bee Train

Katekyo Hitman Reborn! (TV) - YES - Production: d-rights & Marvelous Entertainment

Nabari no Ou - NO - Production: J.C. Staff

Monochrome Factor - NO - Production: GENCO

Some HELP Please, Thks.

ConceRodz
bayoab

PostPosted: Sat Aug 23, 2008 9:24 pm Reply with quote
ConceRodz wrote:
Guys & Gals,

I know you've heard it all, could anyone point me in the right direction for info?

Is d-rights the owner of these anime?

d-rights is on or connected directly to the production committees for all of them, so yes. (The members of the production committee are not listed most of the time.)

http://www.d-rights.com/works.html < Nabari no Ou and Cazador are #1 and #2 on this page. Reborn is on the english page but not the Japanese page (Go figure). I can't easily find links for the other two and I really don't care enough to do the research.

Quote:

I checked on - ANN & Wikipedia - Out of the 5 series found = ONLY ONE =

Beside Reborn, these are who are in charge of animation production. d-rights are not animators. They are involved in investing, advertising, marketing, and licensing.
WitchHunter325

PostPosted: Thu Dec 04, 2008 9:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
If they don't hit ALL of those especially #3 and #5 you won't be seeing fansubs ever disappearing. If they do all of those I'll definitely be buying. #3 is the most important for me.

I doubt fansubs will ever disappear no matter what the industry does. FUNi is streaming Shikabane Hime for free and someone is still subbing that, apparently just to prove that they can out pace FUNimation's releases.
And this is all being blown out of proportion anyway. The RIAA still hasn't gotten any of their stuff off the internet, so the much-smaller anime industry hasn't got a chance.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  
Page 19 of 19