• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: 3 Titles' Fansubs Pulled on Behalf of Japan's d-rights

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
grgspunk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:48 pm Reply with quote
You know, not a single fansub uploader is going to give a shit unless they actually make an annoucement that they're licensing the aformentioned titles...
Ultenth

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 3:56 pm Reply with quote
grgspunk wrote:
You know, not a single fansub uploader is going to give a shit unless they actually make an annoucement that they're licensing the aformentioned titles...

And even then they probably still won't care.

As for those that try to compare our pricing with those of Japanese viewers, consider the fact that those viewers actually get to PREVIEW the show first, and decide if they like it before blind buying it. Us outside of Japan have to either blind buy stuff and hope the reviews are accurate and reflect our own tastes, or we watch fansubs and use those as our way of previewing it just as if it were on TV.

Similar to the US DVD market, if you want to buy the latest season of Lost, you will know ahead of time if you like it or not by watching previous seasons or even an episode or two of the current one. We cannot do that with 99.9% of Japanese shows. Them expecting us to pay prices higher than that of regular TV shows and movies, for a product we can't even preview, is a major issue that will keep the fansub community alive until they resolve it.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
CyberTRex8u

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
consider the fact that those viewers actually get to PREVIEW the show first, and decide if they like it before blind buying it.

its called a Trailer, its what gets us to pay for a movie in theaters. well, atleast trailers are for those that want it upon release and dont want to wait for reviews.
grgspunk

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:03 pm Reply with quote
Ultenth wrote:
grgspunk wrote:

And even then they probably still won't care.

As for those that try to compare our pricing with those of Japanese viewers, consider the fact that those viewers actually get to PREVIEW the show first, and decide if they like it before blind buying it. Us outside of Japan have to either blind buy stuff and hope the reviews are accurate and reflect our own tastes, or we watch fansubs and use those as our way of previewing it just as if it were on TV.

Similar to the US DVD market, if you want to buy the latest season of Lost, you will know ahead of time if you like it or not by watching previous seasons or even an episode or two of the current one. We cannot do that with 99.9% of Japanese shows. Them expecting us to pay prices higher than that of regular TV shows and movies, for a product we can't even preview, is a major issue that will keep the fansub community alive until they resolve it.

So is that any reason why they shouldn't bring those titles here?

Actually, not all fansubbers fit into the same mold. Some don't care whether a show is licensed or not, while others prefer to take down titles altogether if they are licensed. I've searched for titles before--they do become harder to find in fansub form when it's legally available in the R1 region, whether it be in torrent sites or somewhere like Youtube. At the very least, licensing a title can reduce the proliferation of fansubs for it.
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
CyberTRex8u wrote:
Quote:
consider the fact that those viewers actually get to PREVIEW the show first, and decide if they like it before blind buying it.

its called a Trailer, its what gets us to pay for a movie in theaters. well, atleast trailers are for those that want it upon release and don't want to wait for reviews.

Okay, but usually the movies are a fun experience and you get to enjoy the huge screen and awesome sound. A trailer won't convince me to drop $20 dollars on a DVD that only has 3 episodes. And for movies, not only do you see trailers, but then excessive commercials on TV and ads online sometimes. And on top of that, you get TV reviews, newspaper reviews, and word-of-mouth from friends.
melonbread

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I think d-rights should have full plans to release a title outside of Japan before they try and stop it being fansubbed. Especially since these series are already fansubbed so much (and so far into the series) already, the damaga has already been done, and there's no alternative means to view the series in English.

Stupid Japanese licensors being so selfish not caring about any other industry other than their own domestic one.
NightHedgehog

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:11 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Daimao Raki wrote:
Good call Funimation. Now on to the other thousands of fansub titles out there.

I agree, those fan subbed videos are doing nothing but hurting the dvd business.

I always thought it was because of:

1) Current anime coming out. Not everyone is going to buy harem anime #1512561 because the anime industry needs it. Only about 5%, 10 at most, are actually worth spending money on.

2) Insane pricing. Alot better than it used to be. Not everyone is going to pay $40 for two episodes of Diebuster.

3) Current economy. Money is tight and people have to pay their bills and that takes priority over buying the next volume of School Rumble. And usually during economic recession, sales of everything go down. Which is why it's called a recession and not Happy Spending Fun Time.

4) Fad is starting to die. When anime became popular with the release of Pokemon, everyone was going "YAY ANIME!" Hell, I was. Sure, people are eating up Naruto and Bleach things like no one's business, but that's because those are in the limelight. These same people aren't going to watch an episode of Bleach, go into the anime section at Best Buy and buy Ranma 1/2.

People are always placing the blame on anime DVD sales on anime fansubs, which actually do help the company in its own way. If I hadn't downloaded episodes of GaoGaiGar, I never would've known it existed and bought the boxset. Probably gonna have that comment blown up in my face considering low sales killed the dub. God knows that was mostly because they were too busy circlejerking to Voltron.

And sometimes, anime never comes out in America in an unsubbed form. Let's see if people can find me an uncut, bilingual DVD of Sonic X. Or sometimes, companies are just sitting on the license like with Deltora Quest or Tales of Eternia.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:12 pm Reply with quote
Ultenth wrote:
As for those that try to compare our pricing with those of Japanese viewers, consider the fact that those viewers actually get to PREVIEW the show first, and decide if they like it before blind buying it.

Not only can they preview it, they can legally record it. It's all down to business models. In Japan, the anime DVD market is for collectors who have already seen the series and probably already have their own recordings. They buy the DVDs just for the sake of owning them, so 2 episodes per disk is quite normal, and price isn't really a consideration. This is basically what funds the anime industry. If you start putting 4 episodes on an R1 DVD and selling it for half the price that 2 episodes cost on R2 then you will have a problem with reverse importation. On the other hand, if you try to apply the same pricing to the R1 market you'll hardly get any sales. Yes, it's a rock and a hard place.

Maybe one day I'll post a picture of my DVD shelves as evidence of my past commitment to the Western world's anime DVD market, but that market is gone and isn't coming back. BOST and Crunchyroll are a brave attempt at trying to create a new, viable business model by offering non-DRM episodes at a reasonable cost but in a way that simply will not appeal to the Japanese DVD-buying public. This way, most people are happy. We get our anime on the day it's released in Japan, and without paying excessive prices.
CyberTRex8u

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Okay, but usually the movies are a fun experience and you get to enjoy the huge screen and awesome sound. A trailer won't convince me to drop $20 dollars on a DVD that only has 3 episodes. And for movies, not only do you see trailers, but then excessive commercials on TV and ads online sometimes. And on top of that, you get TV reviews, newspaper reviews, and word-of-mouth from friends.

usually DVDs for $20 have 4-5 Episodes now. and you get trailers in the DVDs aswell for upcoming anime. and you see commercials on TV if you watch channels for anime or cartoon fans. anime is still being promoted through Word of mouth. thats why im buying Gurren Lagann on iTunes cause i was sold on the Trailer at AX and through word of mouth. plus i think they gto 2 or 3 trailers viewable online for the series.
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
I get the feeling that these titles are going to be licensed by FUNimation later on.

That's what I'm hopin'.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:20 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:
I think d-rights should have full plans to release a title outside of Japan before they try and stop it being fansubbed. Especially since these series are already fansubbed so much (and so far into the series) already, the damage has already been done, and there's no alternative means to view the series in English.

thank you
daxomni

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:30 pm Reply with quote
melonbread wrote:
Stupid Japanese licensors being so selfish not caring about any other industry other than their own domestic one.

So it's not the greedy, lazy pirates who are being selfish, no, it's the actual creators of the content? LOL! Dear gawd, sometimes you just have to wonder what kind of a spoiled upbringing would result in such endless whining on the part of the "fans."
Kireek

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
CyberTRex8u wrote:
Quote:

usually DVDs for $20 have 4-5 Episodes now. and you get trailers in the DVDs aswell for upcoming anime. and you see commercials on TV if you watch channels for anime or cartoon fans. anime is still being promoted through Word of mouth. thats why im buying Gurren Lagann on iTunes cause i was sold on the Trailer at AX and through word of mouth. plus i think they gto 2 or 3 trailers viewable online for the series.

And with more shows going boxset only were you get more bang for your buck anyone who says these are to expensive and decides to leech needs to be shot (unless you are totally broke or dont have a job)
Zin5ki

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
If you start putting 4 episodes on an R1 DVD and selling it for half the price that 2 episodes cost on R2 then you will have a problem with reverse importation.

Has reverse importation been a problem in Japan in the past? From what has been said such a market mainly consists of collectors who, I presume, would turn their noses up at R1 products.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Mon Aug 11, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
CyberTRex8u wrote:
Quote:

Yeah, and all those trailers are crap. The only good anime trailers ever made were the Toonami ones in the early 2000's for stuff like Outlaw Star, Tenchi, Gundam Wing, etc. If a preview doesn't tell me anything about a show, then it's worthless. Like with Captain Herlock Endless Odyssey, it was just the OP for the preview. I bought the show anyway because it's Leiji Matsumoto though, and because it was in the bargain bin on rightstuf. In fact, that's mostly how I buy anime these days, when it's so cheap that it's actually a normal price.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 19