• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Toren Smith predicts manga industry to go bust

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 12:50 pm Reply with quote
He didn't need to repeat himself. I saw his first post, and the other posts that replied to it. I just chose to not respond because it was pointless, and he's proven his... expertise of the matter quite well by now.

I really don't see the market busting, because, well, I think we're all the generation that will cause the graphic novel market to expand here in the us. When the majority of the "anime fan" generation get older, I bet we'll be seeing a lot more of those more mature, older generation manga sacchan mentioned, while at the same time more new stuff for the newer generations will be coming in.
Kal

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 4:57 pm Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
Kal: Ok, what shonen manga do you read?

Hm.. titles aren't coming into my mind atm, but then again, I never really remember titles all that well in the first place, but anyhow, it basically ranges from anything from comedy/adventure/sports/horror/sci-fi/mystery. Which I might point out, can be found in shoujo mangas as well Anime smile

GATSU wrote:
And I don't think it's impossible for a guy with a small build to be strong, but when even the guy who played the Punisher is shown carrying an assault rifle in both hands, you have to recognize that those things are pretty heavy.

Lol, just keep in mind that mangas are fictional afterall, so anything is possible.

GATSU wrote:
So when the industry gets oversaturated, and they leave, who's going to publish what I like, because they'll all be wary about publishing anything, unless they can pull off some cheap publicity stunt like the death of Superman.

Well, I highly doubt they'll never publish anything of your liking as well as leaving the industry. And if that ever does happen (hopefully not), then it's time to buy imports! ^^ Ah well, companies can't please everyone, ya know?

GATSU wrote:
Such as?

Lol, I dunno if you want examples or not as an answer, but I'm not going to list em -- it'll take forever. But I read any genre, as long as the storyline is decent.

GATSU wrote:
Actually, I live in West Hollywood, gay capital of L.A. I just like strong males in my entertainment: gay or straight. It's annoying when people categorize gay people in terms of Richard Simmons or that psycho from American Beauty.

Well... guys can look pretty and still be strong, lol. They don't just have to be all buff looking. Bsides, I never thought about categorizing gay people in those terms at all (prob. due to the fact that I know a few).. lol. But what can ya do? Stereotypes exist, so.. ::shrugs::
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:14 pm Reply with quote
musouka:
Quote:
Ah, yes, I suppose I had forgotten that shounen manga are the height of believeablity when it comes to slender pretty boys being able to take down muscular people five times their size. But a guy in a manga lifting an assault rifle with one arm for less than a chapter...man, that's just crazy talk!

Not everyone in shonen manga's like Trunks. Well they weren't always like that anyway. But if you want to get into it, they use stratetgy most of the time to win. Now the only strategy for holding a machine gun is to use both hands, because you can't navigate it otherwise.

Quote:
Anyway, my original point was that the picture, accuracy or not, was hardly an indication of fluffy or watered down violence.

I think it is, because the author can make the violence more appealing to a wider audience by taking away its impact.

Quote:
While I can't speak for her, I know I like a wide range of manga. Anything from Ring ni Kakero (so shounen it will hurt your teeth)

Just comparing the photos of it to photos from Ashita No Joe and Hajime No Ippo, and the latter two seem to have more realism. Even if the fights in Ring Ni Kakero are light-weights, their hair's pretty long to be fighting in the ring. Can't find any links for Marginal or Moon Child. But I guess I underestimated you when it came to Ogre Slayer. (Too bad Viz underestimated it by cancelling it. -_-) Nowthat is some good sh*t. If they released more psychological manga like it and Mars, I'd be set. Anyway, you obviously know I read Mars(saw the anime for Ogre Slayer actually), couldn't stand Paradise Kiss, and
was ok with, but generally unimpressed with, Marmalade Boy. I'm mostly reading those free samplers cus I'm a cheap bast*rd, but I do glance through the stuff in the store. So yeah, I guess I like my stuff gritty and simplistic or deep, not something that's trying to be both, because it ends up being conceited. (See Kill Bill.)
Ranmah

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 5:40 pm Reply with quote
I kind of agree with what Toren is saying. I've seen some of the manga coming out from Tokyo Pop. I'm more impressed with Dark Horse's quality than Tokyo Pop's crap. Only time will weed out the crap to bring out the better quality manga (i.e. Ghost in the Shell). Now a days I usually read Liberty Meadows, PVP, Street Fighter, Usagi Yojimbo, Vampi.

I also see the market is changing for the better. I'm glad to see so many girls are intested in Manga especially Shoujo.

Time will tell on how well the industry does in the coming years.

Ranmah
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
musouka

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 7:21 pm Reply with quote
[quote="GATSU"]musouka:
Quote:
Not everyone in shonen manga's like Trunks. Well they weren't always like that anyway. But if you want to get into it, they use stratetgy most of the time to win. Now the only strategy for holding a machine gun is to use both hands, because you can't navigate it otherwise.

Also note that he's not using it to shoot in that picture. He's just holding it up. Out of curiousity, I got out my bunko and scanned through it. From what I saw, when he was actually shooting it, he had both hands on it. (Except for once, I believe)

Quote:
I think it is, because the author can make the violence more appealing to a wider audience by taking away its impact.

Could you rephrase that? I'm not quite sure what you mean.

Quote:
Just comparing the photos of it to photos from Ashita No Joe and Hajime No Ippo, and the latter two seem to have more realism.

I didn't say it was realistic, I said it was very shounen. Razz

Quote:
Can't find any links for Marginal or Moon Child.

Don't bother. They're really not your type of story, I can tell. (Marginal is a sci-fi story about a future where the Earth is inhabited entirely by men. Before you scoff, it's by Hagio Moto, who is probably the best shoujo mangaka ever. Moon Child is a retelling of the Little Mermaid with a sci-fi twist)

Quote:
So yeah, I guess I like my stuff gritty and simplistic or deep, not something that's trying to be both, because it ends up being conceited.

Pardon me for sounding rude, but reading three shoujo titles hardly gives you an overview worth considering on shoujo manga as a whole. It's like me reading Yugioh, Kenshin, and Naruto, and deciding the shounen genre is inferior.
Zac
ANN Executive Editor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 9:09 pm Reply with quote
Ranmah wrote:
I kind of agree with what Toren is saying. I've seen some of the manga coming out from Tokyo Pop. I'm more impressed with Dark Horse's quality than Tokyo Pop's crap. Only time will weed out the crap to bring out the better quality manga (i.e. Ghost in the Shell). Now a days I usually read Liberty Meadows, PVP, Street Fighter, Usagi Yojimbo, Vampi.

I also see the market is changing for the better. I'm glad to see so many girls are intested in Manga especially Shoujo.

Time will tell on how well the industry does in the coming years.

Ranmah

The fact that you're reading utter garbage like Vampi and then calling Tokyopop's output "crap" is, to me, proof that you simply have poor taste rather than any sort of valuable judgement on the manga industry.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:24 pm Reply with quote
musouka:
Quote:
Also note that he's not using it to shoot in that picture. He's just holding it up.

Even so, if you're running away-which I'm assuming is being done in the photo-carrying a gun that big from the holster is likely to trip you up.

Quote:

It makes the violence "cool" instead of "believable".

Quote:
Don't bother. They're really not your type of story, I can tell. (Marginal is a sci-fi story about a future where the Earth is inhabited entirely by men.

Sounds like Bronze to me.

Quote:
Moon Child is a retelling of the Little Mermaid with a sci-fi twist)

Yep. See I don't even like when Disney just takes a story from public domain and tries to modernize it, so it's not personal when I don't like manga and anime writers who do the same.

Quote:
Pardon me for sounding rude, but reading three shoujo titles hardly gives you an overview worth considering on shoujo manga as a whole.

As I said before, I'm sure there are shoujo titles which don't fit the stereotypes I've made earlier, but they probably don't sell as well in either country.
sacchan

PostPosted: Sat Apr 17, 2004 10:33 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Quote:

Are you saying that the violence in most shonen manga, such as Dragon Ball Z, Fist of the North Star, Yu Yu Hakusho, or even Ruroni Kenshin is "believable" and "realistic" instead of just "cool"? Shocked

Some shonen manga may depict realistic violence, but some shojo manga do, too. If you want "believable" and "realistic", try Kirinkan Graffiti (although it may not be licensed). It deals with problems of domestic violence among other things, and will make much shonen manga seem like "fluff".
musouka

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 12:29 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:

So, what shounen manga do you read where the violence is 100% realistic? I'd say the violence in Banana Fish is a lot more realistic than much the shounen violence I've seen...and by this point I'm now pretty sure I've read more than you concerning both genres.

Quote:
Sounds like Bronze to me.

Which Bronze are you referring to?

Quote:
Yep. See I don't even like when Disney just takes a story from public domain and tries to modernize it, so it's not personal when I don't like manga and anime writers who do the same.

Rolling Eyes Nice you can say that without even reading the series.

Quote:
As I said before, I'm sure there are shoujo titles which don't fit the stereotypes I've made earlier, but they probably don't sell as well in either country.

So, basically, your stance is "I know nothing about what I'm talking about, but I feel perfectly confident my blanket statement is correct, despite probably knowing next to nothing about the actual Japanese shoujo manga scene."

That pretty much sums it up, I think.
Ranmah

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 1:03 am Reply with quote
Zac wrote:

The fact that you're reading utter garbage like Vampi and then calling Tokyopop's output "crap" is, to me, proof that you simply have poor taste rather than any sort of valuable judgement on the manga industry.

Outch...The stuff that Tokyo Pop dishes out just dosen't appeal to me.

Well there are somethings I like that other people find in poor taste.

Alright granted they did a pretty good job with Cowboy Bebop. They are printing their books like the Japaneses (I think they are?).

ranmah
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:29 am Reply with quote
musouka:
Quote:
So, what shounen manga do you read where the violence is 100% realistic? I'd say the violence in Banana Fish is a lot more realistic than much the shounen violence I've seen...

I didn't say 100%, just more realistic. And again, I find it hard to believe that gang members or soldiers don't wear bullet-proof vests.

Quote:
Which Bronze are you referring to?

The one where men are pets or whatever.

Quote:
Nice you can say that without even reading the series.

Unless the ending's different, what's the point?

Quote:
"I know nothing about what I'm talking about,

No, I know what I'm talking about. People just aren't ready to deal with it yet.

Quote:
but I feel perfectly confident my blanket statement is correct,

It's correct as a general, albeit not necessarily universal, statement.

Quote:
despite probably knowing next to nothing about the actual Japanese shoujo manga scene."

I know enough.
musouka

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:43 am Reply with quote
I'm done arguing BF with you. Any time I make a point, you quickly try to move on to something else. Considering you don't even know what's happening in the situation where the scan takes place, nor have read the series, there's no point in discussing it with you any further anyway.

Quote:
The one where men are pets or whatever.

Ai no Kusabi. And, in any case, they're nothing alike.

Not that I'd, again, expect the name Hagio Moto to hold any sway with you. (If you do, as you say, know what you are talking about, then you wouldn't be comparing her work to Ai no Kusabi in the first place)

Quote:
Unless the ending's different, what's the point?

Because it's a completely different take on the situation. Again, you hear a one sentence blurb and decide you already know everything about the series.

Quote:
No, I know what I'm talking about. People just aren't ready to deal with it yet.

So, you've read three shoujo manga and suddenly you know everything there is to know about shoujo manga both in the States and Japan.

Quote:
I know enough.

Obviously not.
GATSU

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 4:08 am Reply with quote
musouka:
Quote:
Considering you don't even know what's happening in the situation where the scan takes place

I do know what's happening. A guy who's supposed to be a professional with guns isn't using one correctly.

Quote:
nor have read the series,

Actually, I read about 4-5 books, and nothing really happens, except for the author killig off characters before you can get attached to them. Probably because she's horrible at building up suspense, considering she just spoon-feeds you all the secrets in the series before you've had time to guess them yourselves.

Quote:
Ai no Kusabi. And, in any case, they're nothing alike.

You said one's about a planet where only men exist. How's that different from Bronze?

Quote:
Not that I'd, again, expect the name Hagio Moto to hold any sway with you.

Well I did some googling on her, and I didn't really like They Were 11. It was essentially a murder mystery in space: how original.

Quote:
(If you do, as you say, know what you are talking about, then you wouldn't be comparing her work to Ai no Kusabi in the first place)

I'm guessing because Ai No Kusabi's meant to be a comedy?

Quote:
Because it's a completely different take on the situation.

Different setting does not=different take. If that were the case, then Kill Bill would be considered original.

Quote:
Again, you hear a one sentence blurb and decide you already know everything about the series.

Yep.

Quote:
So, you've read three shoujo manga and suddenly you know everything there is to know about shoujo manga both in the States and Japan.

Actually, as I've said numerous times, I only know about what's popular, and am oblivious to what's not getting exposure.
lianncoop
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 9:35 am Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
I really don't see the market busting, because, well, I think we're all the generation that will cause the graphic novel market to expand here in the us. When the majority of the "anime fan" generation get older, I bet we'll be seeing a lot more of those more mature, older generation manga sacchan mentioned, while at the same time more new stuff for the newer generations will be coming in.

The market goes in waves. Every market comes and goes in waves. I think such a specific market like manga/anime is especially fickle...just like Star Trek, Star Wars, or LOTR...it won't disappear completely, but the hype around it will die down in a couple of years. There may come a point where new and exciting life with be breathed into the franchise (such as what happened with the previously mentioned three), but if they keep puffing and puffing manga up, it will hit a breaking point. Everything needs some down time, or the audience will become oversaturated and just completely balk at the idea alltogether. Of course, die-hard fans will always be around, which will keep manga from falling off the face of the world. Of course now that I think about it...maybe I'm just full of crap with my fad ideas and "busting market" because the you never seem to hear about worries over the Japanese manga market going bust.

GATSU/musouka: Either tie in the article somehow to your arguments or just stop. GATSU can go on forever repeating the same things in about a million different ways. You're never going to "win."
Juunko

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:30 am Reply with quote
Toboe wrote:

1. Pretear isn't even out yet in Manga form. What "sales figures" are you using here?

I'm not talking about sales figures. I'm just saying that people will buy it, whether it's stupid or not, and might become wise consumers. And I'm not talking about the manga, because you're right, that hasn't come out here yet. I was referring to the anime, which is, admittedly, off subject.

Toboe wrote:

2. Crappy manga (subject to interpretation but most will tell you that these aren't "good" titles):
Ai Yori Aoshi
Bride of Deimos
AI Love You
Campus Detectives Duklyon
Demon City Hunter
Demon City Shinjuku
Demon Palace Babylon
Dragon Hunter
Chronicles of the Cursed Sword
Galaxy Angel
King of Hell
Rebirth (This one is particularly terrible)
Just a Girl
Let's Stay Together Forever
Negima
ALL of the "Kung Fu Comics"
Rave master
Red Prowling Devil
Revenge of Mouflon
Skull Man

I agree with most of those, but I haven't ever seen Just a Girl or Revenge of Mouflon. I think I'll call myself lucky.

Toboe wrote:

So check your facts next time, pal. No offense.

I don't take offense, but I don't see which facts that I need to check. The fact that I didn't clarify Pretear as the Anime is the only one that need any sort of fact checking comment.

I do wonder what you consider to be good manga.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Page 7 of 9