• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya Blu-Ray + DVD

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
http://www.amazon.com/Disappearance-Haruhi-Suzumiya-scale-JAPAN/dp/B0052VM0GE/ref=sr_1_1?s=toys-and-games&ie=UTF8&qid=1323209250&sr=1-1

You can have it for under $1000. That's not a deal, that's a steal! (For which party, well that's up for debate)
population_tire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
not for novices or even casual franchise fans.

Not necessarily a bad thing. It's not like you would read the fourth book first if you were reading the novels. I don't recall this movie ever being advertised as a starting point.

I haven't seen it yet so I can't comment on length but if you think about it, Melancholy took six 20~ minute episodes to complete the first book and this series is pretty much word for word with the novels. But I'll be sure to see what I think when I get it for Christmas.
Swissman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 8:20 pm Reply with quote
Cynim wrote:
The only thing I disagree a little : although it's obvious novices cannot truly enjoy the movie, I have shown it to some friends who simply liked the season 1 of the series, no more (I have shown the episode Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody beforehand, of course). And they appreciated the movie, without complaining about the length.

Well, I saw the first series as well with the bamboo leaf episode and some of endless eight and enjoyed more or less all of it, but the movie bored the hell out of me. I think it isn`t the movie`s fault though, but rather my stand as an occasional fan who didn`t bored to keep up with all the small details in the overall Haruhi universe and franchise to truly understand the details of the movie`s story and character behavior. I saw the first series years ago and endless eight in parts in 2009. Whereas 20 minutes of a tv episode were not a problem for me as an occasional "fan" to enjoy with this approach, 160 minutes with no break were a chore to get trough and one of my less memorable anime viewing experiences in the past two years. That`s why I would call the Haruhi movie a movie "for fans". However, the character animation and the backgrounds are truly well-done and deserve to be seen on a big screen (which alas I could not, but did yesterday with the K-ON movie - that one was funny as hell).

Btw, did you see the movie at MOVIX Kyoto near sanjo-doori? That`s where I saw the Sakura Wars movie along with Azumanga Daioh the short movie and DigiCharat :)
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
redranger

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:13 pm Reply with quote
Haruhi needs to go away forever.

[EDIT: If this is all you're going to say then don't bother making a post. This is what we call "trolling." - Key]
CCharmanderK

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:58 pm Reply with quote
FINALLY, someone on this goddamn site makes a REAL review of the movie. So many people keep saying "this movie can have an hour shaved off any nothing would be missing" which makes me wanna smack them. You actually took the time to look at the film's deeper aspects and more emotional depths, and you actually said that not a moment was wasted, which is exactly what I think. But, of course, I loved the more leisurely and methodical pace of the film, and I think it payed off immensely well with the dramatic and serious nature of the feature. It really helped things sink in, and made us all positive that, yes, Haruhi Suzumiya's universe will no longer be the same after this, and this isn't the Haruhi we're used to, and that's being said in a very positive manner. It was probably the best part about the film's story and correspondence to length. I also commend your mentioning of the climactic scene that earned the film its 13+ rating. Everyone leaves that out, and I have no idea why. It's one of my favorite anime scenes ever.

But I agree that this film is strictly for the hardcore Haruhi buffs. Those who look deep into the story, setting, characters, science, writing, what have you, not to mention those who, like myself, waded through Endless Eight. I even caught Endless Eight during it's original Japanese run, so I think I have some extra entitlement in that area, as I did not miss a SINGLE EPISODE during that time. Again, excellent review. Finally, someone on ANN who sees this film's true excellence.
nechronius

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:42 pm Reply with quote
My dog starts barking loudly when I whistle the chorus of "Super Driver." Not sure if that means he likes it or wants me to STFU. I do believe I am whistling on key. (As a test I've tried "Red River Valley," "Minstrel Boy," "My Darling Clementine," "Frere Jacques" and others without nearly the same effect.)

As noted I too was very impressed with the movie and didn't mind so much that it had a bit of extra "fluff" that slowed the movie's pace a bit. It certainly wasn't so long that I wanted to gnaw my own arm off to get away from it. I did enjoy the reference-heavy treatment, a sort of nod to fans of the series who didn't get scattered away by the Endless Eight arc.

And as usual I find that out of any reviewer on the site it's Theron's reviews that usually line up closest with my opinion. I suspect it's because we share a similar demographic.

Yea, it's probably my crappy whistling and he wants me to STFU for butchering the tune for a great series.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Dec 06, 2011 11:58 pm Reply with quote
CCharmanderK wrote:
FINALLY, someone on this goddamn site makes a REAL review of the movie. So many people keep saying "this movie can have an hour shaved off any nothing would be missing" which makes me wanna smack them. You actually took the time to look at the film's deeper aspects and more emotional depths, and you actually said that not a moment was wasted, which is exactly what I think. But, of course, I loved the more leisurely and methodical pace of the film, and I think it payed off immensely well with the dramatic and serious nature of the feature. It really helped things sink in, and made us all positive that, yes, Haruhi Suzumiya's universe will no longer be the same after this, and this isn't the Haruhi we're used to, and that's being said in a very positive manner. It was probably the best part about the film's story and correspondence to length. I also commend your mentioning of the climactic scene that earned the film its 13+ rating. Everyone leaves that out, and I have no idea why. It's one of my favorite anime scenes ever.

But I agree that this film is strictly for the hardcore Haruhi buffs. Those who look deep into the story, setting, characters, science, writing, what have you, not to mention those who, like myself, waded through Endless Eight. I even caught Endless Eight during it's original Japanese run, so I think I have some extra entitlement in that area, as I did not miss a SINGLE EPISODE during that time. Again, excellent review. Finally, someone on ANN who sees this film's true excellence.

So, it's a good review because you agree with it, then? That is basically what I got out this when you start off by saying that it's a "real" review.
Key

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:01 am Reply with quote
For all of the praise it's getting here, DoHS still may not end up snatching Movie of the Year honors for American releases in 2011 (though it will be in the discussion). Why? Because 2011 is the strongest year in the 2000s - and maybe one of the strongest years ever - for releases of quality anime movies in the States, and that despite the absence of Ghibli, Kon, or Shinkai movies. Consider DoHS's heady competition: Evangelion 2.22, Summer Wars, both Eden of the East movies, the Clannad movie, Mardock Scramble, and probably at least a couple of the Garden of Sinners movies (although I'd almost more call that a series). And those are just the ones I'd consider major contenders.

So my question to the big DoHS fans is this: if you were to temporarily set aside fanboy/girl inclinations, how do you think this one stacks up against its major competition?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
enurtsol

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:47 am Reply with quote
Bonham wrote:

Megiddo wrote:
spoiler[I would have liked to see him try looking her up in the phone book for instance.]

Well, spoiler[this is the only thing he really could have done, afaik. Something like Facebook is pretty uncommon in Japan, and the version they have there (the name escapes me atm) doesn't even require you use your actual name. ]

Yep, when the movie was made, but not anymore. That's why mixi is teaming up with Twitter to counter Facebook:

Data released this week from Nielsen NetRatings Japan showed that mixi stood in third place behind Twitter and Facebook in terms of unique visitors in October.

More than 14.5 million users visited Twitter, and 11.3 million went to Facebook, according to the Nielsen report. In contrast, about 8.4 million visited mixi. Google’s social networking service was a very distant fourth.

Facebook has surged over the last year in Japan, in part due to the popularity of the hit movie “The Social Network.” The Nielsen data indicates that it surpassed mixi midway through the year.

Mixi is on its way out, like MySpace and Friendster (remember those?).
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 12:49 am Reply with quote
I know it hasn't come out yet overseas (except France, interestingly enough), but Colorful is my pick for the best Anime movie to have been made in the last year. I can't think of anything wrong with it, which is high praise from me.
penguintruth

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 1:07 am Reply with quote
I'm a fairly big fan of Haruhi, but I'm waiting to see if I get this for Christmas to watch it. I hope it's better than the second season of the show was. I'm pretty excited given how some people talk about it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
pachy_boy

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 6:41 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
So my question to the big DoHS fans is this: if you were to temporarily set aside fanboy/girl inclinations, how do you think this one stacks up against its major competition?

I've already said everything I wanted to in a previous post (on the first page of this forum), about what makes it such a terrific film, so rather than repeat myself I'd say it stacks up very, very, very well. As I've said before, I put Disappearance right up there with End of Eva and the Utena movie. I'm really just a casual fan of the Haruhi Suzumiya series, meaning I like it when I watch it rather than be so far as a fanatic. And yet the movie still blew me away in such a way I never expected (even after reading the novel), albeit in a different distinct way from the Evangelion movies or any of the other titles you mentioned. They're all great films in their own ways for their own reasons.
amagee

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 11:51 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:

I'll say from the start that I've only seen Evangelion 2.22 and Summer Wars at the moment (though I certainly want to see the other movies quite badly). I was lucky enough, however, to see those two movies and the Haruhi film on a big screen at the Scotland Loves Anime film festival in 2010. I'm a big proponent of the argument that films deserve to be seen in proper cinemas in order to capture the proper atmosphere; be it the size of the picture or sound, the people around you, etc. Thus I feel that, for me personally, I had the best chance to compare them. My verdict is that the Haruhi film was inferior to both though not necessarily of poor stock.

It comes down to a few things for me. The benefit to seeing Eva 2.22 and Summer Wars on a big theater screen was the sheer epic nature of the films (the literal end of the world in the former and the sprawling sequences in the internet domain in the latter). This combined with the nature of the group of people I was watching it with - a bunch of fellow anime or cinema fans - truly made the whole experience worthwhile. The Haruhi film's necessity for the previous viewing of a TV series and the focus of the story around a single group of characters who are realistically insignificant to the rest of society (seeing as all their shenanigans are never noticed despite altering the course of space-time) made it less advantageous to view on a big screen. I will say, however, that the opportunity to see it with fans squealing in delight around me (and yes, that includes yours truly) helped make it a fantastic experience. Unfortunately, in the long run, I could have seen the Haruhi film on my blu-ray player with about the same effect unlike Eva 2.22 and SW.

I guess that covers my thoughts on the cinematic theatricality of the films in comparison. In the realm of production features, the voice acting in all these films didn't really seem anything other than phenomenal; the animation of SW was clearly well above Eva 2.22 and Haruhi which I considered pretty much equal in quality (more so I had never seen Kyoto Ani film project before and I was surprised by how superb it looked rather than saying Eva 2.22 was bad by any stretch); and while SW really hit the nail on the head with length, Eva 2.22 could have used a couple of minutes of effective shaving and, as I've mentioned before, Haruhi should've been 20 - 30 minutes shorter if at all possible.

Thus, out of the three on the list you posted I was able to compare, Summer Wars trumps the other two by a great margin and Evangelion 2.22 slips by The Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya due to its ability to better utilize the medium of film.
varmintx

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 10:41 am Reply with quote
Key wrote:
I'm not hardcore fan of anything, but out of your list, I own and have watched Eva 2.22, DoHS, Summer Wars and the 2 Edens; so, I think I'll still answer the question.

Eva 2.22 is, I think, the best of the bunch and it hasn't even gotten to the point in the story where I really started loving the television series. I like the way the characters have been tweaked to be a little more natural (particularly Rei) even as they're actual development has been scaled-down for the runtime. The audio/visual spectacle is astounding.

Summer Wars and DoHS are basically on the same level, but if I had to choose, I would go with Haruhi simply because I didn't like Summer Wars quite as much as The Girl Who Leapt Through Time. Summer Wars is obviously a much more accessible film, but I had just watched the entire 28 episodes of Haruhi right before watching the movie, so I was entrenched enough in its world that I could keep up with all of its eccentricities. And though, from an artistic perspective, I thought they were spectacular, the scenes of Oz left me bit cold due to not particularly liking the avatar designs.

Although I liked both Eden films, they're still a disappointment considering how much I loved the series. I really want to watch both of them again, separated further from the series, to see if my perspective on them changes. Also, I still want to hear Bamboo and Justin square-off on their thoughts on those two films.

It's great that we got a bunch of worthwhile anime films this year; the pickings had been rather slim for a long time.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 11:12 am Reply with quote
key wrote:

I've seen Summer Wars, Eva and Haruhi. Of the three, I'd say Summer Wars is the best MOVIE. The other two are very good, but obviously part of a series. If you're a fan of either franchise (Eva or Haruhi) IMO you won't be disappointed by their film, but if you are NOT a fan of either franchise (not a detractor, but simply haven't been following) then they're certainly diminished.
penguintruth wrote:
I'm a fairly big fan of Haruhi, but I'm waiting to see if I get this for Christmas to watch it. I hope it's better than the second season of the show was. I'm pretty excited given how some people talk about it.

Just to use my own experience as an example, if you LIKED the first season, and were disappointed in the second season, then you will like the movie. I really enjoyed the first season but felt the second (even despite Endless Eight) had an entirely different feel, especially re: Haruhi herself, and the movie did a better job capturing the "spirit" of the characters.

Last edited by HeeroTX on Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4