• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Hey, Answerman! [2008-08-15]

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 11:34 pm Reply with quote
Ai no Kareshi wrote:

AJ wrote:
I'm embarassed when they refuse to watch any dubbed anime for the same reason, when they refuse to believe that maybe the English version is actually good, maybe even better.

This one I cannot relate to, though. Everyone has a preference. If you love having a chocolate sundae every week, you probably don't want to be pestered all the time by other people trying to convince you to order the strawberry one (even if they do think it's better).

It's not that...It's just that people tend to dismiss things like that, it's sort of an "ignorance" factor that gets incredibly annoying.

I remember when people were complaining about the Naruto dub coming up and the show wasn't even released yet. I can understand having a preference, but from what I've seen people bad mouth dubs and then already have a negative perspective, so it's not really that hard to reject it when it comes out again.

xD I've had people complain to me about watching dubs and say to watch subs more. I watch both without a problem...do I necessarily have to choose...?

Why does it make me less of an anime fan because I like dubs?

For some reason, I keep getting labeled that way... >_>;
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:

No, it doesn't make you less of a fan. Dubs are more convenient, and I'll watch any series I buy in English first. If the dub is too horrible (a la Crest of the Stars) I just switch over.

Though, I will say that the dubs of Bleach and Code Geass really dropped the ball. And Death Note was barely tolerable, dub-wise. Which is funny, since I watched all three series on fansubs before hearing the dubs. This is not just another case of "first in, first loved". I don't just hate the dubs because I heard them second, but because they don't hold a candle to the original performances.

Which is a shame really. Three very popular shows (popular in Japan and worldwide, that is) before they even arrived in North America. And yet, all three dubs suffer from poor casting and poor voice direction. Johnny Yong Bosch is too soft and weak for the characters he's asked to portray, and Brad Swaile is outshone by Mamoru Miyano.

All in all, I prefer dubs only because I don't have to read the subtitles. But, I have no doubt that - by using the same voice actors again and again - on average dubs are inferior. I mean, if the three hottest Anime properties of the last few years can't get decent dubs, what can?

However, let me reiterate again that liking one format over the other doesn't make you any less of a fan. That kind of talk is absurd.
poonk

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 1:40 am Reply with quote
Re: Hating on yaoi fangirls: This is all my opinion of course, but as a yaoi fangirl myself I'd like to point out that it's probably... how shall I put this... "youthful enthusiasm" that gets noticed most within the fandom (actually, this applies to the fandom of any genre). Trust me, we're not all running around paddling people (I still don't get that; I've never read any yaoi that involved paddling, must've missed that one). Most of us, you'd probably never know we were fans to look at us. As with all my hobbies & interests, I can recognize there's a time and a place to discuss it enthusiastically (like when a title I dig is in the News, or when I'm over in the aarinfantasy forum). And I personally don't subscribe to the "take-two-random-boys-from-any-series-and-mash-together" mentality (especially now when there's a lot of actual, intentional BL coming out, it seems unnecessary to me). People are of course welcome to their own interpretations of characters' relationships, but they should respect others' rights to respectfully disagree; and that, of course, goes both ways. And I'll bet a lot of these overly-enthusiastic fans that people seem to be encountering will eventually settle down a bit as they mature. And that's my 2 cents on the matter...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Aug 20, 2008 12:43 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
tygerchickchibi wrote:

No, it doesn't make you less of a fan. Dubs are more convenient, and I'll watch any series I buy in English first. If the dub is too horrible (a la Crest of the Stars) I just switch over.

Though, I will say that the dubs of Bleach and Code Geass really dropped the ball. And Death Note was barely tolerable, dub-wise.

Actually, I've enjoyed the English dub of both Death Note and Bleach very much. I only have the first few volumes of the DVDs for DN, but I suppose that really varies on the person, so I can't complain. I can agree that I didn't like Crest of the Stars, I just couldn't get into the storyline. >_>; In a way, I guess I preferred Swaile over Miyano, I thought Miyano sounded a little too feminine for me. *shrugs.* But meh, like I said it depends on the person. It's cultural differences, I wouldn't want Swaile to sound like a direct interpretation of Miyano. x.x Actually, I wouldn't really want any English VA to completely mirror their Japanese counterparts, Then the originality would be completely missing. I don't really know how to explain it.... I'll get back on that later.

My only beef with some of the yaoi fans is that they must insist that Light and L are totally gay. Whhyyyyy??!

This is the only time I'll ever defend Light Yagami. xD
_Emi_

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:39 am Reply with quote
Sethimothy wrote:
Not dealing with the Question of the Week, but the article at hand, I've always wondered why people felt that anyone who likes Anime should somehow be united with other people who liked Anime, especially given the number of different genres within what I often erroneous yet consistently refer to as "the medium of Anime."

Making one a sport's fan doesn't mean you're going to have any real fellowship with other sports fans, and liking Anime does not mean the majority of other anime fans are gonna be your friends.

The anime fans that have that 'Let's all be friends" attitude are the ones that annoy me. I'll talk to another anime fan about anime but if we can't connect with something else besides anime, then I have no further interest in you. We might not even have anything anime to talk about. Moe and harem for me, please. Yaoi? No thanks. This other girl though really loves yaoi. But moe and harem? Blech! Why should I have try to connect with this anime fan when we don't have anything to discuss? I don't hang around with people who annoy me who aren't into anime. Why should I have to put up with this annoying person just because we're both into anime?
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:53 pm Reply with quote
_Emi_ wrote:
Sethimothy wrote:
Not dealing with the Question of the Week, but the article at hand, I've always wondered why people felt that anyone who likes Anime should somehow be united with other people who liked Anime, especially given the number of different genres within what I often erroneous yet consistently refer to as "the medium of Anime."

Making one a sport's fan doesn't mean you're going to have any real fellowship with other sports fans, and liking Anime does not mean the majority of other anime fans are gonna be your friends.

The anime fans that have that 'Let's all be friends" attitude are the ones that annoy me. I'll talk to another anime fan about anime but if we can't connect with something else besides anime, then I have no further interest in you. We might not even have anything anime to talk about. Moe and harem for me, please. Yaoi? No thanks. This other girl though really loves yaoi. But moe and harem? Blech! Why should I have try to connect with this anime fan when we don't have anything to discuss? I don't hang around with people who annoy me who aren't into anime. Why should I have to put up with this annoying person just because we're both into anime?

I think this comes from how these different groups get forced together. Sethimothy's example is good in a sense but also flawed. Sports and anime are both very vague interests only defined by relatively general guidelines. They both consist of a variety of very different sub-sections. However, the divide between anime is far less defined that in sports. Generally, a sports fan simply follows certain sport. Also, you won't find conventions, websites, etc dedicated to sports. People won't even call themselves sports fans that often. They more likely describe themselves as a basketball fan, football fan, etc. Anime however, is tougher to divide. Anime can't always be definitively divided into one category or another. You won't find sites, conventions, etc. dedicated to just one type of anime. People don't call themselves science fiction anime fans, shojo anime fans, etc. They just call themselves anime fans. Perhaps anime being more niche has something to do with it too. All this results in anime being treated more as a single unified things and less like a variety.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7