• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Collins Design Prints 500 Essential Anime Movies Book

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
fighterholic

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Gee, I'm going to be going through this book and going "I know this one!" Or "Where have I seen that before?" I'm glad that they're doing this though, because it gives not only people new to this medium a look at what has come out, but it also allows myself to get a bit caught up on some of the stuff that I know I missed.
CruzMissile

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:10 am Reply with quote
of course there's 500 anime movies! u gotta throw in all those Dragon ball movies... Razz

or maybe they're adding all those recap type movies like they did for gundam seed/destiny....
angel_lover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 4:26 am Reply with quote
Got my copy this morning.

CruzMissile wrote:
of course there's 500 anime movies! u gotta throw in all those Dragon ball movies... Razz

I bet you thought that was a good joke. However, it's true - there are 4 Dragon Ball movies in there, plus 5 Pokemon movies and one Hello Kitty movie for good measure (no, I'm not joking).

In its favour, the book describes itself as a list of 500 essential anime "movies", rather than trying to be a top 500 - big difference. So, each title is rated with 1-5 stars, and there are 1 star titles in there. The criterion for inclusion is that the "movie" should contatin "something that's worth seeing". The problem is, that's the only thing in its favour. Everything else is the usual "anime expert" rubbish, with plot summaries obviously written by someone who watched the "movies" on fast forwards, factual inaccuracies, screenshots appearing under the wrong titles, etc.

The worst thing of all about the book is its bizarre definition of "anime movie". This is defined as any "standalone" work, so as well as real theatrical releases, we get not just OAV series but OAV compilation episodes, sequels/prequels that, almost by definition, don't stand alone, and what I usually refer to as "anime satyr plays", the comic "stress-relievers" set after the end of a series. In short, take the whole gamut of anime, disqualify all TV series, and this is the incoherent jumble that you have left, where, if you'll excuse the syllepsis, serious 2 hour movies rub shoulders with a few minutes of Chii's missing panties.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 6:31 am Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
In short, take the whole gamut of anime, disqualify all TV series, and this is the incoherent jumble that you have left, where, if you'll excuse the syllepsis, serious 2 hour movies rub shoulders with a few minutes of Chii's missing panties.

Oh, I love that feisty attitude and witty writing. And you managed to sum up the book so succinctly, and with such veracity and poise, it warms my heart. You wouldn't happen to be female and single, now?*

I hope you don't mind me putting it in the "Perfect / Pointless / Poignant Quotes" thread?

Crosses fingers that I'm not trying to hit on a guy.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 9:09 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
I hope you don't mind me putting it in the "Perfect / Pointless / Poignant Quotes" thread?

No, not at all.

dtm42 wrote:
You wouldn't happen to be female and single, now?

No, not at all.
rti9

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:56 am Reply with quote
It seems more like a coffee table for anime fans. Or a gift idea for friends and family who know one.

@angel_lover: from 1-5, how many stars would you give to this book?

@dtm42: Now put on your robe and wizard hat.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:57 am Reply with quote
angel_lover wrote:
CruzMissile wrote:

I bet you thought that was a good joke. However, it's true - there are 4 Dragon Ball movies in there, plus 5 Pokemon movies and one Hello Kitty movie for good measure (no, I'm not joking).

Oh god, it sucks already. How the hell can you quantify 500 Essential Anime movies when you have rubbish AND have a broad definition of the term "Movie?" Why should I consider a movie essential when you have one hit wonders on the list?

Kinda reminds me of the one George Carlin skit about the 10 Commandments: Why do we have 10 Commandments? Because 10 sounds important!! It sounds official!! A psychologically satisfying number.

The title is merely a marketing ploy. Which it has failed miserably.
angel_lover

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
rti9 wrote:
from 1-5, how many stars would you give to this book?

Probably 2, which is not much but at least it's twice as many as I'd give to most of Susan Napier's stuff. It's not really big enough (page format, I mean) to be a coffee table book, and its deliberately restricted subject matter and lack of accuracy rules it out as a reference work.

Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Why should I consider a movie essential when you have one hit wonders on the list?

Maybe that's not a fair criticism. If something is one-of-a-kind then in a way that makes it even more essential.

Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Kinda reminds me of the one George Carlin skit about the 10 Commandments: Why do we have 10 Commandments?

There are actually 613 commandments - it's a long story...

Hon'ya-chan wrote:
The title is merely a marketing ploy.

I suspect you could be right there.
cenorig

PostPosted: Tue Aug 19, 2008 4:40 pm Reply with quote
500 Essential Anime Movies? Let me get that... 500. Essential. Anime. Movies. Sounds absurd to me. Essential for someone who wishes to become the King of Otaku?

I can name about 20 anime movies that are really worth watching. Get in some standalone ovas and you could double the number. True, I've seen fairly little compared to some other fans, but I still think the number's farfetched. Maybe if the book included anime series or if it was about animation as a whole. Really, I recommend to buy a book that also includes some finer examples of American, Russian, French, etc animation instead. I'd rather know more about other good animations out there than read about hundreds of recaps of shonen series or movies which offer nothing valuable to anyone except the most avid fan.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2