• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Tokyopop Says Pulled Titles Are Delayed, Not Cancelled

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 6:42 pm Reply with quote
yoru08 wrote:

LOVE MODE Volume 11: (YAOI) - Yuki Shimizu

TP already said this would be rescheduled if 10 sold well enough & in fact I placed my order for it at Right Stuf on August 6th & it's supposed to ship 10/7 so I guess 10 sold well

Yeah, it feels something like blackmail--buy our books or we won't publish the next volume-so even if one were just thinking about a title it's buy it now or forget it ever seeing the light of day.
Time was I bought pretty much all their stuff. Granted that was back at the start of the manga revolution & all the mindnumbingly similar shojo titles made me drop that a couple years ago.
leftbehindxp

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I really hope these books are just delayed. Hopefully they won't decide to drop some like the Speed Grapher Novel and Gankutsuou volume 1. Oh and DO NOT CANCEL Hannah Montana, really really need that one Wink
Tortoiseshell Tabby Girl

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 7:49 pm Reply with quote
When I saw the title of this article, I thought that I might find some comfort in it, but after reading it I don't really feel very different from how I felt before I read it. I guess it's better than no news, though, and it does keep some hope alive. After I read and fell in love with the third book of the first Trinity Blood novel series (man, it just keeps getting better and it's so different from the anime [especially Havel--spoiler[that dude wasn't even supposed to be alive during the time that he exists in the anime!]]--a 52 ep. series would have worked much better) I got kind of upset and cranky thinking about the possibility that I wouldn't get to read anymore of the Trinity Blood novels. My mom even noticed my mood and asked me what was wrong. I want to read about all the things and events and characters in the original story that didn't make it into the manga or anime, darn it! Loving stories sure can be trying sometimes, especially when they're in another language and you have to rely on a company to translate them for you. I just finished reading Moribito: Guardian of the Spirit (the novel that the anime series Seirei no Moribito is based on), and at the end I also found myself hoping that Scholastic will be able to release the entire series like they would like to do. Someday, I hope to study Japanese, but right now I can only wait and see what will happen to stories from Japan that I really like while I watch or read other stories and write my own.
Celes

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 8:42 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that sucks. I read about Suppli in Otaku USA and I was immediately intrigued, so I bought all 3 volumes. Surprise, turns out it's on the chopping block! (I use that in the Big Brother sense, meaning you may go or stay Anime hyper God I love that show).

That really ticks me off -_- I was having such good luck with my series not getting canceled, and here we are...I actually avoided Tokyopop because of their rep with canceling manga series and novels in the middle but I broke down because Suppli just sounded so good and we seriously lack decent josei here...

Don't disappoint me Tokyopop, or you WILL lose a customer for life.
Altacia

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
Ah crap, How did Silver Diamond 3 get on that list so quickly?

It was supposed to be out in the end of December/begining of Jan., I may have to hunt down the TP people and beat them with a tree.

Sad
LKK

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:19 pm Reply with quote
Altacia wrote:

It was supposed to be out in the end of December/begining of Jan., I may have to hunt down the TP people and beat them with a tree.

Sad

When I last spoke with Silver Diamond's editor (Aug 6 email), he was working on preparing for SD's v03 release. He mentioned in an earlier email conversation we had that SD's v03 release date may have to change from its original plan because of the restructure. Until I hear something otherwise, I'm assuming that the SD v03 has been delayed but not cancelled.
Kyogissun

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 10:26 pm Reply with quote
Hmm... Volume 4 of the FMP! novel...

That's... not pleasing. It was literally the only thing I've been buying lately...
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Fri Aug 15, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
Kyogissun wrote:

That's... not pleasing. It was literally the only thing I've been buying lately...

Damn, hadn't even seen this one the first time (but makes some sense given the first thing they said was "novels on hold".) Guess that raises my count to 10 series listed earlier on hold. Not surprised to see Pantheon High on there, but why couldn't they kill it after the atrocious first volume rather than waiting and putting out the nearly redeeming second volume?

You have to figure they would be very cautious with the words used around the status of those titles, considering what Disney would gladly do to anyone who couldn't pump out their Hanna Montanna glut.
MeggieMay

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:20 am Reply with quote
bglassbrook wrote:
Kyogissun wrote:

Damn, hadn't even seen this one the first time (but makes some sense given the first thing they said was "novels on hold".) Guess that raises my count to 10 series listed earlier on hold.

This is the first time I've seen FMP 4 on the list as well, though I had a feeling it was when the Trinity Blood novels got put on it. Personally, I'm not happy at all about this turn of events because the only thing I'm actively buying from TP are the FMP novels. I actually had wanted to start picking up the Trinity Blood ones again but once I heard it was canceled I decided not to. TP may say "buy these books and we'll keep putting them out" but my life experience says otherwise. I'm in my 40s and I've yet to ever see a company say something like this and be able to follow through. The company might actually get a few books out but they always end up stopping the line before its finished. So I'm not about to fall for this sucker line again. If Tokyo Pop actually gets the books printed then I'll buy them but I'm not going to buy books for a incomplete series I've not yet committed that much to, on the chance they might put the others out (FMP I'm committed to so I'll be buying those if and when the rest are released).
juno_senei

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:58 am Reply with quote
Kimyo wrote:
I'm still mad about Descendants of Darkness, Inu Yasha, Ranma 1/2, and Death Note! Twisted Evil Evil or Very Mad Twisted Evil

Descendants of Darkness is truly over in terms of manga volume. But story-wise, it's the issue of abandonment by the managka.

yoru08 wrote:

GANKUTSUOU Volume 1 - Hidenori Matsubara , Hisashi Kagawa, Shuuichi Kouyama
SILVER DIAMOND Volume 3 - Shiho Sugiura
ZIG*ZAG Volume 4 - Yuki Nakaji

VERY uncool. =_=

yoru08 wrote:
I already giving up on ADV books and I don't hope TOKYOPOP is my second one

Oh, I despise ADV manga. I hated what they did to Peacemaker Kurogane, Mythical Detective Loki, and Tactic. *hiss* Good thing that Tokyopop has already picked up 2 out of the 3 titles I mentioned. Still...=_=
[/quote]
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 5:28 am Reply with quote
Someone please fire DJ Milky already. I RAGED when I went to the store today and I saw a collected edition of Princess Ai comic strips.

Princess Ai....comic strips. Okay. I don't even know if that was a sick joke by TP or they truly believe that Princess Ai actually sells.
kirbyboy102

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 6:49 am Reply with quote
Hon'ya-chan wrote:
Someone please fire DJ Milky already. I RAGED when I went to the store today and I saw a collected edition of Princess Ai comic strips.

Princess Ai....comic strips. Okay. I don't even know if that was a sick joke by TP or they truly believe that Princess Ai actually sells.

It does. There are actually fans out there.

AWW COME ON! Not Jade of Bango! And Gacha Gacha! Anime cry

What the [explitive] is That Guy was Splendid? That just sounds... smutty.
Shigi

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote
LOL. They're not really in a position to fire DJ Milky because that's the name Stu Levy writes under and he's . . . the head of the company? Rolling Eyes

Ugh, more light novels on hold AND Genji no Seiza AND Lagoon Engine? Crying or Very sad I already knew about Dragon Voice and Kindaichi. *SIGH* THOSE ARE BOTH THE FINAL VOLUMES! PLEASE RELEASE THEM! Crying or Very sad
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 12:57 pm Reply with quote
kirbyboy102 wrote:

What the [explitive] is That Guy was Splendid? That just sounds... smutty.

LOL. Sorry, i don't know what it is either, but that was damn funny. Although the pain meds may have made that even funnier for me.

I won't get excited until I see Suppli 4 on the shelf, but I'm still weary about picking it up because of the price hike. Sure its a only a dollar, but TP manga don't deserve the extra dollar for me because the releases don't have extras or big wide pages on good paper.

Not that I ever pay full price anyway....
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Altacia

PostPosted: Sat Aug 16, 2008 3:09 pm Reply with quote
LKK wrote:
Altacia wrote:

Sad

When I last spoke with Silver Diamond's editor (Aug 6 email), he was working on preparing for SD's v03 release. He mentioned in an earlier email conversation we had that SD's v03 release date may have to change from its original plan because of the restructure. Until I hear something otherwise, I'm assuming that the SD v03 has been delayed but not cancelled.

I see you all over the place LKK and right now.. I could kiss you.

Very Happy
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3