• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Man Arrested for Threatening Japan's Comike with Grenade

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 5:16 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
I don't agree with everything you post but in this case I whole-heartedly agree. People just don't care about each other any more. Civility has dropped (at least in my opinion) and complete loons have started popping up everywhere.

Also, it seems the IQ of the average wouldbe killer has dropped sharply too. Brilliant plan going online to make threats. (It's not like anyone can read those threats or figure out who you are right? Right?)
Maybe he thought is was a Kamikazecon. Razz

Anyway,I'm saving about 4g's to throw at comiket when I get a chance to go.The rest of my money is going to the multi story arcades.Can't wait. Very Happy
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Sun Aug 17, 2008 8:07 pm Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
I've said this before, but I'll say this again. There is too much anger in today's world. While I am glad that security options will be changed, people could have been hurt or worse killed.

What happening to this world? Hopefully more postive events occur more often.
I don't agree with everything you post but in this case I whole-heartedly agree. People just don't care about each other any more. Civility has dropped (at least in my opinion) and complete loons have started popping up everywhere.

Also, it seems the IQ of the average wouldbe killer has dropped sharply too. Brilliant plan going online to make threats. (It's not like anyone can read those threats or figure out who you are right? Right?)

To be honest, I am just greatful you and possibly others took the time reading my post. I work in customer service, basic kindness and such isn't as apparent as it was years ago. Yesterday while I was at work I overheard a person swearing purfushly at another driver simply because that driver parked at the same time that other person did.

So much of the population is filled with anger, some rightfully so, others not so much. All I can say about this case is this; the likelyhood of a this guy getting a real job now is quite slim, as well as leading a normal life.
matt-thorn

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 5:46 am Reply with quote
Matt Thorn here. I saw on the news here in Japan that the would-be perpetrator told police he made the threat because he "wanted attention." Well, he got his attention. He had no actual grenade, no actual plan, just an empty threat, but attendees paid the price by having all their bags checked on entering. Man on the street (or rather "otaku in the comike") interviews indicated, though, that most fans would rather undergo the inconvenience of the bag check than worry about a terrorist attack. It was mildly amusing watching otaku in cosplay seriously answering serious questions. :wink: Some of my closest friends were there, so needless to say I was relieved when the idiot was arrested on the first day (if I recall correctly) and the threat proved to be an empty one.

BTW, everyone (by which I mean all otaku) here in Japan now call the Comic Market "Komike." There seems to be a rule in vernacular Japanese that terms become abbreviated to the shortest possible form that still manages to convey the meaning. Thus the evolution from "Komikku maaketto" (seven syllables plus two "half syllables") to "Komiketto" (four syllables plus one half-syllable) to "Komike" (three syllables). Don't ask me to explain half syllables. I think it's a term I just invented. :P

While I think there's always been a universal tendency for "geek communities" to attract the socially impaired (and notice I didn't say geeks are socially impaired--I'm a proud geek myself), I also think there is a global trend of unstable people being provoked by on-line experiences to commit off-line acts of violence, against themselves or others or both. The Virginia shooting spree and the American girl who was pushed to suicide by a classmate's mother leap to mind. The anonymity of the keyboard can bring out the cruelest and most irresponsible facets of a person's personality. 2chan and 4chan are the grossest examples I can think of offhand.

Totally off-topic, but I'm watching the Japanese softball team crush Canada, and they seem to be enjoying every moment of it. They could at least make it look hard by smiling and laughing less. :D
pat_payne

PostPosted: Mon Aug 18, 2008 11:54 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
Apparently it's against the law to be an asshat on 2chan.

I'm sure he can be an asshat all he wants, but when you start making terrorist threats whether real or not, that's taking a jetpack over the line. If this same jerk had said "I'm going to assassinate (insert world leader here) the next time he comes to Tokyo" they'd have to investigate. If they don't, and something does happen, it's their asses.

It's like that "ATHF" advertising fiasco of last year. They saw people putting bizarre devices on a bridge. What were they supposed to do? Pat them on the head, say "clever fellows," give them a cookie and send them on their way? Wink

Quote:
Shame there isn't the same rule on 4chan, but then that would make it's purpose and existance pointless. Wait!
Wink

For your convience and reading pleasure, the remainder of this post has been Quoted For Truth Smile
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3