• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: ADV announces Evangelion Platinum

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
one3rd

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:42 pm Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:
i just wished they didn't call it the platinum edition..it sounds so stupid. Deluxe , would be better.

Especially since "Platinum" doesn't allow for much room for naming the next set after this one.
gnollman

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Great. Another DVD set I have to buy again. First BGC and now this....
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Isaaru wrote:
I am not so sure what people are getting so uptight about.

<snip>

Well, I'm not ragging on everything ADV's ever done. I just think it was in poor taste to release a disc and then turn around and say you're releasing exactly the same thing but, oh, with a slipcase this time. It's not like they didn't have this planned ahead of time, and I think they should've told fans beforehand.
BuffaloStyle

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 11:55 pm Reply with quote
Miagi wrote:
Isaaru wrote:
I am not so sure what people are getting so uptight about.

<snip>

Well, I'm not ragging on everything ADV's ever done. I just think it was in poor taste to release a disc and then turn around and say you're releasing exactly the same thing but, oh, with a slipcase this time.
Exactly. It's like, "Now that we have them hooked, let's get all of their money".

And to think, I just purchased the DVD box set recently. I figured that I would wait them out to see if they would do anything special. After all this time, I thought I was in the clear.
Zerg rush keke

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 1:41 am Reply with quote
Is this a box set or individual DVDs? Will the director's cuts be on their own discs or be a option along side the regular episode?
DeSpawn

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:37 am Reply with quote
More Evangelion....I ponder, would it have any additional extras within.

Plus I guess after this release all that would be left are the "Movies" to have a box or something redone to remaster them again.

mmm Evangelion cash cow...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
orobouros

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 8:59 am Reply with quote
ADV is really more or less just mirroring what Gainax was doing in Japan. This set has been available for a long time over there; it was just a matter of time until it came out here. There's a reason I didn't just go out and get the box set. I've bought the Director's cut DVDs just to have them RIGHT NOW. For all the people who have the box set already and want the extra scenes, it's a good buy. For people who don't want to wait, it's also a good buy. I think the industry has learned that a post-series release full box set with extras is a bad idea. If there is a special box set, it'll probably be an 8th disk in the box for those who want it. Me, I'll be buying them as they come out for the slip cases.
cyrax777

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 2:37 pm Reply with quote
All I want to know is it the same source as the cleaned up renewal set minus the Movies or the same ole eva except a corrected first disk(like they already did) with a 5.1 track?

If its the new source ill buy it if not screw them
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
jmays
ANN Associate Editor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:03 pm Reply with quote
cyrax777 wrote:
All I want to know is it the same source as the cleaned up renewal set minus the Movies or the same ole eva except a corrected first disk(like they already did) with a 5.1 track?

The press release says they're using footage remastered by Gainax, presumedly the same remaster that was on Gainax's recent Renewal of Evangelion release.

I believe Gainax also remastered the movies (not sure why), so I'm still half-expecting Manga to jump in towards the end of this with another announcement.
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:40 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Assuming this is a 5/4/4/4/4/4/4

I've been told that it is not a 5/4/4/4/4/4/4.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:45 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Tempest wrote:
Assuming this is a 5/4/4/4/4/4/4

I've been told that it is not a 5/4/4/4/4/4/4.

Well then..... do you know what it is? It is a 7 DVD set, right? Shocked Maybe less? Rolling Eyes Because that would really help me out financially. Wink
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:49 pm Reply with quote
one3rd wrote:
Especially since "Platinum" doesn't allow for much room for naming the next set after this one.

Next there will be "Neon Genesis Evangelion - The Diamond Edition", followed by "NGE - The Double Diamond Edition" and "NGE - The Thortveitite Edition" and finally, sometime in 2010 ADV will release "NGE - Californium Edition."

All this doesn't take into account limited editions like the "Super-Ultra Double Dragon Turbo Edition."

Of course in 2011 they'll release the first, standard edition NGE on whatever replaces DVD as a mass market home video medium. This will then be followed by various limitd and special edition on that medium.
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Tempest wrote:
Of course in 2011 they'll release the first, standard edition NGE on whatever replaces DVD as a mass market home video medium.

How about virtual reality or something like the Holodecks on Star Trek. Now that would be awesome. Instead of watching Evangelion, you can now be in Evangelion. Heh, heh... I'll make you pay now Ikari Shinji... Twisted Evil
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 4:12 pm Reply with quote
They'll have an ultra-limited "Unobtanium Edition" just for the three of us who actually liked The Core.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Ferquin

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 5:18 pm Reply with quote
I swear, since next year would be the tenth anniversary edition, they'll probably come out with another limited edition boxed set to mark the date. Then in 2015, they'll come out with a 30th anniversary edition on whatever format is available in the future, not to mention a special 2015 edition to mark the fact that we've finally caught up with the year the show is set in.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website MSN Messenger
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3