• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Treasure - Magic User's Club

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
The Human Spider

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:36 am Reply with quote
I like the OVA and TV versions equally. Since the TV series is a direct sequal to the OVA I've always thought of the OVA + TV versions as one continuous show. The OVA ED is my favorite anime ED--I never knew that the objects the duck wand vomited out were seasonal until another ANN member pointed it out to me.
mangajunky
Company Representative

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 9:44 am Reply with quote
Actually, this series is out of print.
You might want to change the classification, Justin.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:48 am Reply with quote
Wow, for the first time in quite a long while, there is finally a series that I can actually rent from Netflix.

However, the fanservice and possible harem aspects make me think twice about actually renting this series. Based off the review though, there hopefully isn't much fanservice at all.

After Love Hina, any show that even has the smallest bit of haremness is a instant turn off for me. Not to mention like Justin said, the main male character is a token guy. But none the less, this series still looks interesting though.

I am just surprized Justin picked a series that is common in stores and online. All in all, great review Justin.
Zalis116

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 10:50 am Reply with quote
So wait, is this a club that belongs to one magic user, or a club that belongs to several magic users? Because the plot summary seems to indicate that it's multiple users, whereas the "Magic User's Club" title suggests that it belongs to only one user. Maybe if the title had been "Magic Users' Club," that ambiguity could've been avoided. (Whenever I see "Girl's Locker Room" on a sign in anime, my first response is to think, "so which girl's locker room is it?")
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:14 am Reply with quote
Zalis116 wrote:
So wait, is this a club that belongs to one magic user, or a club that belongs to several magic users?

It is set up just like any other school club. There is the President, VP, I can't remember if one of the others is a Treasurer. Then you have junior members. Thing is there are only 5 members in this club so it is pretty close knit. I wouldn't say it really belongs to anyone, but everyone looks up to the President of course when concerning magic.

Edit:
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
However, the fanservice and possible harem aspects make me think twice

I wouldn't really call it a harem though. True there are 3 main girls and 2 guys(really that ratio should be 4:1), but I would say it just has some similar gag elements but no where near the typical plotting you would find in a harem.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
khryoleoz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:46 am Reply with quote
This is no buried treasure for me. It's on display in my case and I marathon it regularly once every month. The characters are so endearing, even the creepy Aburatsubo. Takeo is sooo hilarious. This is still one of my top 10 favorites.
StevieC54

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:09 pm Reply with quote
I have to second the previous comment. I've had Maho Tsukai Tai (Magic Users Club, btw) since it came out and it has remained one of my all time favorite series right up there with Nadescio. As far as quality comparisons to recent anime, I place in the same category as The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya. Certain animes just belong in the Parthenon. Very Happy

If you aren't familiar with it, rent the OAV (3 DVD's) and watch it. Amazon has it cheap (used from $3.26 for the first DVD) also. It's a "typical" HS romance series with a twist. Don't forget the TV series, MUC - I Want To Do More (4 DVD's) featuring more adventures of the club, though the aliens are gone. The OAV (or OVA if you prefer that symantically) was so popular it spawned a TV series.

Just had to comment as I was surfing looking for info on _Nogizaka Haruka no Himitsu_ when I saw this as Buried Treasure. Gee, If Magic Users Club is a buried treasue, I must be getting old! Wink
SoloButterfly

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:14 pm Reply with quote
Wow, this is a series I never expected to see in this column. But am certianly happy it did.

A friend of mine picked it up on a complete whim. None of us knew anything about the series but our entire little group really enjoyed it. I keep meaning to pick up the box set for myself...

I may be mis-remembering, but I thought the TV series was kinda needed to give closure to the whole thing. Seems like they were more of, two parts to a whole.

In any case, I'm glad to see so many people enjoyed this series, as I really felt it was too unknown for how much my friends and I enjoyed it. "I Wanna Do More!" has got to be one of the catchiest anime themes ever. *sings* I wanna do more, you wanna do more...we wanna do do do doo doo mooore....
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 12:40 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
However, the fanservice and possible harem aspects make me think twice about actually renting this series. Based off the review though, there hopefully isn't much fanservice at all.

There's really not much fanservice, and zero harem aspect. The one guy is trying (unsuccessfully) to woo one girl. The rest of the female cast is fleshed out and has their own lives, and really don't care about him at all. (The only person he CAN get attention from is his male peer Aburatsubo. Very Happy ) So the male:female ratio in the club is 2:3, and only one person is even wanting any action out of the arrangement.

mangajunky wrote:
Actually, this series is out of print.
You might want to change the classification, Justin.

Ack, really? It's hard to tell sometimes, especially when most places still have it in stock. I shall update. Thanks.

Zalis116 wrote:
So wait, is this a club that belongs to one magic user, or a club that belongs to several magic users? Because the plot summary seems to indicate that it's multiple users, whereas the "Magic User's Club" title suggests that it belongs to only one user. Maybe if the title had been "Magic Users' Club," that ambiguity could've been avoided. (Whenever I see "Girl's Locker Room" on a sign in anime, my first response is to think, "so which girl's locker room is it?")

Bet'cha make some nice purdy diamonds with that sphincter of yours, eh?
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting a bit of a Shingu vibe from your review of this show, Justin (which I bought, watched and loved, based off of its appearance in this column, so thank you for that one). Sounds like classic anime fun, and at OVA quality? Definitely a buy for me.

So let's see, my DVD purchases for this month will be: Black Lagoon Second Barrage vol. 1, Code Geass LE box, Death Note vol. 6, and...Magic Users' Club. Kind of bucking the trend of violence and tragedy, but I'm not complaining Laughing And, at least it'll be cheap.
EmperorBrandon
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
This is one of the the series I collected when I was just getting into anime on DVD (after a few series I had seen on TV, like Sailor Moon, Tenchi, CCS - this was the first one in which I hadn't seen it in any form on TV), and I absolutely loved it. I still think of it as one of my highest favorites, and I actually got my DVD's out just yesterday trying to make some avatars. :) I think it's really cool it was chosen for the column. I heard about it going out-of-print several months back. I encourage anyone who hasn't tried it out yet to try and track it down ASAP.
The Ramblin' Wreck

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 6:34 pm Reply with quote
Holy crap, the first DVD set I ever bought is now "Buried Treasure"?

I'm.............i'm gonna go over in the corner and feel old now.
larinon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 11:47 pm Reply with quote
The Ramblin' Wreck wrote:
Holy crap, the first DVD set I ever bought is now "Buried Treasure"?

I'm.............i'm gonna go over in the corner and feel old now.

Eh, for a lot of anime fans now it seems like anything that hasn't been on TV in the last two years is old. They might even consider Witch Hunter Robin a classic at this point. I, uh...might have to find a corner myself.

Still, I'm seriously considering Magic User's Club as one of the shows we'll watch at our anime club this coming semester. One of my stated goals is to show them anime they haven't seen before and definitely nothing that's ever been on US TV. Certainly this qualifies, and I believe it has good appeal to fans of both genders, which is always a plus for clubs.

/200th post, whee Anime smile + sweatdrop
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
irishninja

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 9:49 am Reply with quote
Quote:
Go, go buy it now while you can!

Done and done. Cool

I picked up the first three discs (the OVAs, according to what I can discern from Amazon and the user reviews) for a total of $30 + shipping.
kizzmequik_74

PostPosted: Fri Aug 22, 2008 11:28 am Reply with quote
Oh, wow. Great show, great memories from it. I first saw the OVA in the middle of a local TV anime marathon years ago, but I haven't seen it in years, but just the thought of it gives me a warm fuzzy feeling. Anime catgrin

Must... Rewatch soon. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3