• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime News Nina! - 2011-12-07

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hardgear

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:17 pm Reply with quote
Been there, done that, would have got the T-Shirt if I had any money left over for it....
Greed1914

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 7:51 pm Reply with quote
Well, I have heard that most of the people taking advantage of the deals on Black Friday and Cyber Monday are actually shopping for themselves.
tuxedocat

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 8:00 pm Reply with quote
It makes it worse when you have a friend or friends that you have converted to anime and there is a huge amount of good stuff they haven't seen yet. It is nearly impossible to exercise restraint.

Also, if they ask for something they watched at your house that you don't think is all that great. You have to get them that, but you also feel that you are not being a good friend if you don't turn them on to that other show as well.

And then you buy for yourself too. it's unavoidable.

Anime cry $$$
Splitter

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 9:34 pm Reply with quote
This is going to be me after I'm doing with Right Stuf on Friday. Oh god, the list keeps getting bigger.
Echo_City

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:24 pm Reply with quote
Just to make sure I'm understanding this, the Ann mascot elf is making macaroni art to gift to friends because she blew all of her gift money on things for herself from rightstuf (which reminds me to check today's sale)?
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Dec 07, 2011 10:45 pm Reply with quote
Sailor S wrote:
I can sympathize. Been there, done that. Not to the tune of $1100, but I think I've dropped close to $900 at Rightstuf in one sitting before.

No, no, no... she didn't spend $1,100... she spent $1,100 over her budget. Though have to give her credit, pulling 1k+ orders gets harder and harder to do every year.
animefan1238

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:37 am Reply with quote
Minus the over budgeting part, this is what my girlfriend did in the first few years together. She sees something she I knows I would love and would buy it. Most of the time it was little things but it adds up. She has gotten better but she still surprises me during the holidays and our anniversery. Doesn't hurt she loves anime too, she plans to splurge like crazy this up comming April at a con we're going to. All I had to say when she told me that was, "Do I need to hold your money so you don't go over board?" She replied, "Maybe."
JuicyB

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 1:10 am Reply with quote
Heh yeah, LeftJunk will do that to ya everytime.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:16 am Reply with quote
I've done that too, but I've also done the reverse.

I was planning to buy gifts for just a handful of people, then spend the rest for myself. But then, if I buy a gift for her, then I also have to buy a gift for him too (this especially happens when it's a friend's girlfriend or boyfriend). And then, if I do that for these friends/relatives, I'd have to buy for those other friends/relatives too, or in similar cash values or it'd look weird. Rinse, repeat.

Next thing you know, you spent hundreds of dollars for them............. and nothing left for yourself. Laughing
GhostShell

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:53 am Reply with quote
Spending more than you planned? Yup, it's that easy to do. Sales can be evil! Evil or Very Mad
DmonHiro

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:13 am Reply with quote
Never had that problem. Guess it's because both my parents are bankers and my grandfather was a factory supervisor. I have the "calculate exactly how much you'll spend and then follow it" gene built in.
turtlemonade

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 5:05 am Reply with quote
oh man that has been me for the past couple of weeks. Luckily i've stopped because since i've gotten presents for all the folks i wanted to, i have no need to be on the site. i mean, you know, except for seeing what the new sale at rightstuf is.

ugh all of my money just......gone.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 8:03 am Reply with quote
DmonHiro wrote:
I have the "calculate exactly how much you'll spend and then follow it" gene built in.

I tried this method once. It sucked. The loss of impulse buying enjoyment was just too much to sacrifice in exchange for some (brief) financial security, especially when this "security" is a ruse.

Greed1914 wrote:
Well, I have heard that most of the people taking advantage of the deals on Black Friday and Cyber Monday are actually shopping for themselves.

Guilty as charged.

Though, I did something a bit different this year: I bought presents early and saved up for the sales (for me) because I knew I'd buy for myself. Worked out well except for RACS did pull the best deal of the year with their (up to) 70% off figure sale (plus the extra 10% off coupon). Damn sucker punch. I didn't even have enough time to cancel my other orders and dump all my cash there. Evil or Very Mad

The only gift I need to get is a new 32" HDTV, and this one's going to be difficult to hide. I can't ask anyone in the family to store it because they've the biggest damn mouths on the planet.

Oh, the TV's for the wife. 32" seems small, but she doesn't want to sacrifice her entertainment center for a larger TV. Women.
Neutral
R315r4z0r

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:26 pm Reply with quote
Lol. "LeftJunk."

I wish I had that kind of money to spend...
Ashen Phoenix

PostPosted: Thu Dec 08, 2011 12:33 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting a slew of out-of-print and hard to find manga thanks to their holiday sales.

Good lord, Nina. I'll outdo you in terms of reckless financial abandon!! Anime hyper
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3