• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Oregon Man Says Son Borrowed Mature Manga from Library

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
angieness

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
For me it's hard not to blame both parties. On one hand that father apparently is a lazy parent and either allowed him to check it out, or left the kid alone in the library without supervision to check the adult manga out. And the library is also at fault for allowing the kid to check it out. I mean, I work in a mall and talk to the employees at EB on my 10s sometimes and I always see them IDing and turning away people that are under 18 that are wanting to buy mature games. Shouldn't the library do that as well? Not to be super book police, but to protect themselves from sue happy parents. It's just a little over the top to sue the library for this.
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:06 pm Reply with quote
Someday I pray American parents will learn what exactly the term "parenting" means!

It is NOT up to the library to monitor what his son reads, why wasn't he there with his son?

Get off your posterior Dad and GO with your son next time! Rolling Eyes
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:10 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
As you can blatantly see, there isn't much going on in Oregon.

Haha, so it seems.

The purpose of libraries is not to regulate information, but to provide it. If daddy feels that his son shouldn't be reading Ikki Tousen, then he should be telling that to him, not the librarians.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:15 pm Reply with quote
Toshirodragon wrote:
Someday I pray American parents will learn what exactly the term "parenting" means!

It is NOT up to the library to monitor what his son reads, why wasn't he there with his son?

Get off your posterior Dad and GO with your son next time! Rolling Eyes

My thoughts exactly. Just like at my job, I see kids running around everywhere and most of the time the parents too busy gosping on their stupid phones or with other parents. I've even seen kids ruin across the street, despite the fact there were cars going twenty miles an hour their way.

Parents can't be everywhere, but they CAN monitor and make sure what they are reading is age acceptable. This isn't the 80's anymore, parents can instal tracking devices in kids cell phones, so that way the parents always know where they are.
Faceman

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Except, anginess, that selling mature-rated video games and a library with books and other resources are different (from at least my perspective). Library resources are protected under the First Amendment. That usually trumps other complaints when it comes down to it. Besides, what about all those books with just text about murder, rape, sex, drugs, etc etc? No one rates those, no one blocks access to them.

If people were to start dictating policy based solely upon not getting sued for something, then there'd be a lot more things to worry about than seeing some drawn breasts in a Japanese comic book.
OnanRulz

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:19 pm Reply with quote
Would this even be an issue if the kid had checked out A Clockwork Orange instead?
hara

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
ANN wrote:
Oregon Man Says Son Borrowed Mature Manga from Library

So, is that something to proud of, Mr "Oregon Man"? Thanks for letting us know your son likes perverted stuff, might be a big topic at the next Thanksgiving party Wink
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quote
Teriyaki Terrier wrote:
Better Battle Vixens than Futari Ecchi, despite the fact I doubt the kid would actually understand the manga.

Oh ho, most definetly! Wink Then they would be getting themselves in trouble. In this instance though, I don't think that the library can be held accountable. Though if I was the parent, I would have had a talk with the kid about why he really shouldn't be reading that in the first place, because he's too YOUNG. And parents these days obviously don't know where to put the boundaries of too young on their kids, hence why we have all these people complaining about the video game companies when the PARENTS are the ones buying Grand Theft Auto for their kids. Hint hint? Rolling Eyes
Labbes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:27 pm Reply with quote
OnanRulz wrote:
Would this even be an issue if the kid had checked out A Clockwork Orange instead?

At least in Germany it would be a different topic, since books do not equal films or games. And Clockwork Orange does have nudity and rape, while Ikki Tousen probably hasn't (I didn't read it, so I might be wrong. At least in what I've seen from the anime, there was a lot of lost clothes, but no blatant nudity, or rape)
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:29 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
And Clockwork Orange does have nudity and rape, while Ikki Tousen probably hasn't (I didn't read it, so I might be wrong. At least in what I've seen from the anime, there was a lot of lost clothes, but no blatant nudity, or rape)

Actually, there was a major indication that one of the characters in Ikki Tousen was raped, both in the manga and the anime. The nature of it can be described by people as, "disgusting."
FlashFumo

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:30 pm Reply with quote
Um... and?
Silly me, some kid borrowing manga of hot girls fighting makes for excellent news! Yeah!

Just give the kid a lecture next time instead of taking it to the frikkin' press!
Labbes

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:35 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:
Labbes wrote:
And Clockwork Orange does have nudity and rape, while Ikki Tousen probably hasn't (I didn't read it, so I might be wrong. At least in what I've seen from the anime, there was a lot of lost clothes, but no blatant nudity, or rape)

Actually, there was a major indication that one of the characters in Ikki Tousen was raped, both in the manga and the anime. The nature of it can be described by people as, "disgusting."

Okay then, makes my point invalid.
Anyhow, do mangas/comicbooks get those ratings in the USA or can anyone buy them?
SharinganEye

FlashFumo wrote:
Just give the kid a lecture next time instead of taking it to the frikkin' press!
B-But, the monies! Will anyone think of the mon-I mean, the children?!
Monster in a box

If this kid has internet access, I'm sure he's seen much worse things.
SharinganEye

PostPosted: Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
Labbes wrote:
Anyhow, do mangas/comicbooks get those ratings in the USA or can anyone buy them?
They're self-rated following the same generic formulas as those of other media. Anyone can buy them, but the "mature" titles are sometimes shrink-wrapped, at least in my experience.

Last edited by SharinganEye on Thu Aug 21, 2008 1:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 2 of 7