• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
OT: Dreamworks SKG to make "Ring" Sequel

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
phoelixian

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:47 pm Reply with quote
As stated by Cinescape.com, "The original Japanese RINGU film series spawned a sequel and a prequel to the first film. Could the American remake also follow a similar path?"

http://www.cinescape.com/0/editorial.asp?aff_id=0&this_cat=Development+Heck&action=page&obj_id=39222

nyah! Confused
Tony K.
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 2:57 pm Reply with quote
I haven't seen either of the first ones (U.S. or Japanese.) Are any of them actually scary?

A friend of mine saw the American one, and said it didn't scare him, but I hear the Japanese version is, at least, better than the other one.

I was thinking of buying the Japanese one someday, but if it's not that great, then I guess I won't get it. Just wondering... thanks! Very Happy
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:23 pm Reply with quote
The orginal Ring movie actually spawned, oh, I dunno, 5 movies I think? That's just a guess, I forget the exact number. It also spawned a tv series, I think a tv special, and of course a ton of manga. Course, it should be noted that Ring was originally a novel.

I found the Japanese Ring actually a bit scary. It was corny at some parts, I in the fear factor department, the Japanese Sadako/Samara was a bit more scarier.

The American remake followed the original movie, and only changed a few things, mainly to make it more easily understood by an American audience. Dreamworks has said though that they plan to not make their sequal identical to the original Ring sequal, so it's most likely going to be an original story for it.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 3:59 pm Reply with quote
littlegreenwolf wrote:
The orginal Ring movie actually spawned, oh, I dunno, 5 movies I think? That's just a guess, I forget the exact number. It also spawned a tv series, I think a tv special, and of course a ton of manga. Course, it should be noted that Ring was originally a novel.

The TV show was made after the Novel but before the theatrical movie. I won't post any sites, but it is possible to download the entire show(fansubbed).
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 4:20 pm Reply with quote
I think this site is legal to post: http://www.theringworld.com/
It has a ton of info on all things connected to Ring.
sacchan

PostPosted: Mon Apr 26, 2004 11:18 pm Reply with quote
The American remake of Ring followed the original closely, but changed the backstory of Sadako/Samara so much that it is impossible to follow the original story for any prequel/sequel. I guess that's why they're going to make their own stories.

I liked the Japanese prequel movie, Ring 0~Birthday~. Sadako isn't a villian then, and you'll actually feel sorry for her.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1