• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why are the scene and the industry in this state?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Tue Dec 27, 2011 4:35 pm Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
Well if that really does explain the smaller industry then what about the absence of a fandom over here? If people are watching and reading in some way or other here, how come the yanks have manga clubs in their schools whilst we have only two or three manga clubs in libraries across the entire country?

And do Australia and NZ have the same industry problems that ours does?
I never said there was an "absence", indeed in relation to population size of the UK. I would say it's not far off of that of the US percentage wise so there's no absence of fans, but a rather low level of those fans that are willing to wait and even fewer willing to buy it afterwards. There were anime clubs in UK secondary schools and even the one my two went to had a club run by a teacher, and the college that they now both go to also has a club. ever head of NEO, a monthly UK magazine dedicated to anime, manga, and asian live action genres in each? I live in Basingstoke and its library has manga on it's shelves which are in use quite often, at least there's always someone reading it in there when ever I visit. Our local WH Smith's and Waterstones also sell manga too. It is simply that the US is the first market to get a new licence from Japan and it then cascades to the rest of us outside of there later on, and also simply the only one's that do make it over are the more successfully sold one's. I can only count 3 anime titles that were released in the UK first. GiTS, Innocence English dub, Ghibli's Ocean Waves, and Panda Go Panda. Maybe others can. I can't speak for Australia, or NZ, but again I think it can't be far off that scenerio.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 5:11 am Reply with quote
Mohawk52 wrote:
There were anime clubs in UK secondary schools and even the one my two went to had a club run by a teacher, and the college that they now both go to also has a club. ever head of NEO, a monthly UK magazine dedicated to anime, manga, and asian live action genres in each? I live in Basingstoke and its library has manga on it's shelves which are in use quite often, at least there's always someone reading it in there when ever I visit. Our local WH Smith's and Waterstones also sell manga too.

Then you come from a very different part of the UK than I do, lol. Of course I've heard of NEO but I've never met anyone else who reads it. And of course HMV, WHSmiths and Waterstones have very small selections of animanga, but I don't know anyone else who's into it around here. I've never even heard of a school manga club over here before.

Its even worse for the games, because games made for the Japanese market such as 2D fighters and bullet curtain games tend to stay in Japan, and items such as 2D fightpads and arcade sticks need to be found online and imported because you won't find them in a gaming shop. In fact there's actually no reason to visit a gaming shop, if you like Japanese games. (This situation really is a retail industry problem, because its a problem created by the way stores like GAME and HMV insist on stocking games. And the lack of variety generally prevents any interest in Western or Japanese games beyond FIFA, chav racers and FPS murder simulators. Yo-ge, kuso-ge lol.)
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:52 pm Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
Then you come from a very different part of the UK than I do, lol.
You must live in the rural parts where there isn't easy access to a large town centre then. If you also read NEO then you must be aware to all the conventions and cosplay events at various uni's up and down the nation then too. They wouldn't be doing those if there weren't enough fans coming to them. Don't you think? MCM Expo? Growing attendance every year? Now in two locations? Why indeed!? Try asking this question at NEO's forum, or at AnimeUKNews forums? You might receive a better reply than here. Just a suggestion.

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
st_owly

PostPosted: Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:58 pm Reply with quote
I grew up in rural Northumberland, and ended up starting an anime club at my small town high school with a few friends who I introduced to anime and manga. There were Tokyopop Recons (anyone remember them? Razz ) in Newcastle and the Metro Centre fairly regularly, as well as regular cosplay meetups in Newcastle. I think that most of the UK fandom is just buried under the surface, and once you dig a bit deeper, there's more there than it first appears.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 5:21 pm Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
The British are indeed narrow minded about entertainment, just think of how difficult it is to get Japanese games or even suitable gamepads and sticks here in the UK without importing them from PlayAsia. But the problems with your reasons why are that most British people seem to agree that our television is a rock of shit (hence the obsession with mostly gay US imports) and that your view of British patriotism is a stereotype based upon how Grauniad readers view the readers of the Daily Mail.

There is nothing wrong with being gay/homosexual. If you mean rubbish u.s. imports, then say that, don't use the word gay to mean bad/rubbish.

As someone who has lived in england my whole life and loves anime and is decidedly unpatriotic, I'm not really sure what the answer is. I mean, we do have huge swathes of insufferable people who think they're super alternative and culturally enlightened because they've seen a few Ghibli films while still believing that all other anime is either kids only, 18+ only, or something depraved and terrible that should be illegal Rolling Eyes I have met quite a few anime fans in the u.k. (I do sometimes strike up conversations with people in HMV's anime section, and we have a local anime festival as part of the japanese festival each year). I'll admit that while I try and buy local releases when they are handled well on a basic level (good video, good audio, good subs, however while I'm willing to wait a bit to see if there's a local release I am planning to buy a region A blu-ray player because anime BD releases when it comes to series are a rarity in the u.k., I do plan to wait for a period of time, like, 6 months to a year, after the u.s. blu-ray release to see if a u.k. BD is announced before importing, but for most series it's just not going to happen with the way the market is at the moment), I'm not really much of one for anime clubs and the like, it might be nice to go to one every now and then, but I'd probably rather marathon anime on my own at home than go and watch a couple of episodes in a group (plus there's the travel and possible needing to eat while out costs). But yeah, it would be great if there was even more of an anime fandom in the u.k., I've thought for a while that it would be a good idea for BBC4 to show some really good anime, say Fullmetal Alchemist/The Tatami Galaxy/Last Exile/Kino's Journey/The Twelve Kingdoms/Cowboy Bebop or something, in it's original language with subtitles, as they already show quite a bit of "foreign" language, English subtitled programming.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 10:38 am Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
faintsmile1992 wrote:
The British are indeed narrow minded about entertainment, just think of how difficult it is to get Japanese games or even suitable gamepads and sticks here in the UK without importing them from PlayAsia. But the problems with your reasons why are that most British people seem to agree that our television is a crock of shit (hence the obsession with mostly gay US imports) and that your view of British patriotism is a stereotype based upon how Grauniad readers view the readers of the Daily Mail.

There is nothing wrong with being gay/homosexual. If you mean rubbish u.s. imports, then say that, don't use the word gay to mean bad/rubbish.
Its a free country and use of the word gay in such context isn't 'homophobic'. Are gays willing to tolerate my choice of words like I tolerate their sex lives, even though I might disagree with it, or is it just different? Tolerance, right?
Quote:
As someone who has lived in england my whole life and loves anime and is decidedly unpatriotic, I'm not really sure what the answer is. I mean, we do have huge swathes of insufferable people who think they're super alternative and culturally enlightened because they've seen a few Ghibli films while still believing that all other anime is either kids only, 18+ only, or something depraved and terrible that should be illegal Rolling Eyes
And those people are why Ghibli movies don't always work as gateway anime. Most of the arty farty people watching subtitled filems on Film4 don't think to move onto the more 'mature' anime series afterwards.
Quote:
But yeah, it would be great if there was even more of an anime fandom in the u.k., I've thought for a while that it would be a good idea for BBC4 to show some really good anime, say Fullmetal Alchemist/The Tatami Galaxy/Last Exile/Kino's Journey/The Twelve Kingdoms/Cowboy Bebop or something, in it's original language with subtitles, as they already show quite a bit of "foreign" language, English subtitled programming.
But why in subtitles, if it would put more new viewers off watching? I'm sure it attracts more viewers broadcast in Eigo, like the Japanese watch it in their first language.
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 2:10 pm Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Its a free country and use of the word gay in such context isn't 'homophobic'. Are gays willing to tolerate my choice of words like I tolerate their sex lives, even though I might disagree with it, or is it just different? Tolerance, right?

No, just like it's not ok to say you'll tolerate black people as long as you get to disapprove of them having sex lives, having kids and getting married/getting married to others of particular races and call them the n-word. I'm not calling for what you said to be illegal to say, I'm saying you shouldn't say it, saying you shouldn't say something and saying you can't say something are not the same thing. And yes what you said is homophobic. Just like it would be prejudiced if you said "that's so asian" to mean "that's so rubbish".

EDIT: Corrected grammar mistake.

Last edited by UtenaAnthy on Fri May 18, 2012 6:00 am; edited 2 times in total
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2012 8:17 pm Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
it's would be prejudiced if you said "that's so asian" to mean "that's so rubbish".

Sounds like something Prince Phillip would say...
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 7:41 am Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
faintsmile1992 wrote:
UtenaAnthy wrote:

No, just like it's not ok to say you'll tolerate black people as long as you get to disapprove of them having sex lives, having kids and getting married/getting married to others of particular races and call them the n-word. I'm not calling for what you said to be illegal to say, I'm saying you shouldn't say it, saying you shouldn't say something and saying you can't say something are not the same thing. And yes what you said is homophobic. Just like it would be prejudiced if you said "that's so asian" to mean "that's so rubbish".

EDIT: Corrected grammar mistake.
Oh if its not illegal, and you don't think there's reason for it to be illegal, you've no actual grounds for "saying you shouldn't say it". And like you object to me saying shit things are 'gay', I objected to the lecture, how's that?
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:21 am Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
Oh if its not illegal, and you don't think there's reason for it to be illegal, you've no actual grounds for "saying you shouldn't say it". And like you object to me saying shit things are 'gay', I objected to the lecture, how's that?

Nonsense, the fact that the government throwing you in jail for saying something is wrong does not mean that what you are saying is therefore right, me defending your right to freedom of speech does not mean I have to defend the supposed moral legitimacy of your bigotry or use of prejudiced language, considering you just referred to gay people as "fags" in another thread. I'm very opposed to censorship (because censorship is wrong), that does not mean that people who say things that are wrong magically become truthtellers or non-bigots.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Mon Jun 04, 2012 9:33 am Reply with quote
UtenaAnthy wrote:
Nonsense, the fact that the government throwing you in jail for saying something is wrong does not mean that what you are saying is therefore right, me defending your right to freedom of speech does not mean I have to defend the supposed moral legitimacy of your bigotry or use of prejudiced language, considering you just referred to gay people as "fags" in another thread. I'm very opposed to censorship (because censorship is wrong), that does not mean that people who say things that are wrong magically become truthtellers or non-bigots.
Jesus, does the lecture never end? No one cares about your sex life, straight normal people hate you lavender loveboys giving us lectures, FFS.

Anyways, to return to the subject of the thread... I read this about Australia in comparison to the UK, its different lol.

Any comments? Mohawk?

http://www.otakunews.com/article.php?story=1775

Quote:
This is where you'll actually start calling me a madman, we all know that anime fandom is bigger in the US, as everything in the US is bigger, they have anime conventions almost every week it seems, stores like Hot Topic sell tons of funky anime merchandise and companies churn out anime on DVD and print out manga like it never ends. Anime fandom in Australia is actually bigger than the UK too, despite the population of Australia being a 3rd of the UK. If you walk into any JB Hi-Fi (a chain that sells DVDs and CDs), anime DVDs get a very prominent placing, often taking up a large amount of the store, more than in a Virgin Megastore or HMV in the UK. Newtype USA acknowledges this too, dedicating two thirds of their overseas round up to Australia and the remaining third to the UK.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 1:35 pm Reply with quote
Some of you guys need to dial it down a notch. Cut it with the labeling and generalizing others with different lifestyles/opinions and stick to just discussing the topic.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
egoist

PostPosted: Thu Jun 28, 2012 11:22 am Reply with quote
Anime industry seems to work better in a kind of monopoly environment. Sales are probably too spread between 3 groups, never giving them enough power to advertise on mainstream networks.

Anime disappeared from TV, and the only way of getting a fresh fanbase, illegal downloads, is being condemned and shut off.

I tried to support at some point. Unfortunately a lot of titles weren't available therefore I bought from the US.

From now on I'm not willing to spend money on anime except for online subscriptions. Discs have become a huge inconvenience for me.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 4:52 am Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
Anime disappeared from TV, and the only way of getting a fresh fanbase, illegal downloads, is being condemned and shut off.
But many of the kind of fanbase that uses illegal downloads aren't the kind of people who'd pay anyway. The same argument that disproves the people blaming fansubs, also means you can't say illegal fansubs help the industry. Which has always been about dubs.

The question is why it disappeared from TV (apart from kids shows and the Ghibli stuff for the arty farty Filem 4 people). And where was it ever on the British telly anyway, really obscure cable channels?
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:32 am Reply with quote
I can only really comment from my experience.

about 6 years ago i bought ALOT of anime, i mean like i had about £600 a month wagews and i spent about £400 each month on a big box of anime dvds from america because there was not alot to be had over here and the DVD's we were getting were inferior in terms of content and packaging to the American counterparts.

Then i started gettng a load of bills and moved out and had a whole dose of reality come park its big fat arse on me and my anime buying habit dried up. I felt guilty because it seemed everyone stopped buying anime around the same time and the industry slowed up and companies started going broke.

About a year and a half ago I decided that i would start collecting again but rather than go for anime id get manga instead because I dont need a 3rd party piece of tech to enjoy the books they work on their own and I've always prefered manga over anime I just didn't buy a hell of alot. Anyway im dilligently purchasing manga and im noticing there are a fair few more manga fans in the UK than I had assumed (and more of em seem to be ladies to my suprise but thats another topic entirley) but there are no UK based publishers and we of the UK manga fandom scene get all out english language stuff from America.

Not that i mind as it hasn't ramped up the cost of buying the books at all and with just the 1 market to sustain I dont feel guilt about importing books.

basically there is a scene here but its very fragmented and partially buried and it would take at least 1 company doing business over here with some good organisation to bring us all together. Fourms like this are a good start though.

Also i think its worth noting that to many anime and manga is/was just a phase. I never cease to get grimace of disgust when i see an ebay lot with "selling this because im getting to old for it" when im looking for manga, like you can get too old to read.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3