• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Why are the scene and the industry in this state?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
egoist

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:47 am Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
egoist wrote:
Anime disappeared from TV, and the only way of getting a fresh fanbase, illegal downloads, is being condemned and shut off.
But many of the kind of fanbase that uses illegal downloads aren't the kind of people who'd pay anyway. The same argument that disproves the people blaming fansubs, also means you can't say illegal fansubs help the industry. Which has always been about dubs.

Tell me about how many anime fans get into the fandom by buying a £20 DVD while most big shot Hollywood productions are less than half of that.

I'm not talking about those already in the fanbase. I'm talking about fresh new blood. The anime fanbase here has always (ever since I got into anime for good, about 6 years ago) reminded me of a dying old population. Your methods are conventional and similar to what makes a country full of retired people with very few youngsters to pay the bills.
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 6:55 am Reply with quote
I got into anime via the free stuff on telly. Castle in the sky on the BBC as a kid and then later in life sitting up till 3-4am in the morning watching the likes of monster city and the overfiend movies on the sci-fi channel

hell im still an active member of the animeonscifi board wich spawned from people who posted on the sci-fi internet boards before they got spammed to death by the people in the ultimate gamer forum.
faintsmile1992

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 7:13 pm Reply with quote
egoist wrote:
I'm not talking about those already in the fanbase. I'm talking about fresh new blood.

Yep that's my point. From the perspective of the industry (which is a business) these people are used to something for nothing, won't buy anything and can be ignored cause they wont buy.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sat Jun 30, 2012 8:06 pm Reply with quote
Another or better question could be what happened to the British animation industry i mean barring Wallace & Gromit can anyone name a big British animation from the last 10 years?
UtenaAnthy

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 10:24 am Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
Another or better question could be what happened to the British animation industry i mean barring Wallace & Gromit can anyone name a big British animation from the last 10 years?

The british animation industry has never been up to much (and I say this as someone from the u.k.), but there was The Secret of Kells (irish film) recentlyish, didn't make a big splash commercially but it did well on the festival circuit (also got an oscar nom, I think) and it was an excellent feature film. The studio that made it has another film planned called "Song of the Sea" which they've released a trailer for, it seems to be about the selkie myth:

"The story of the last Seal Child’s journey home. After their mother’s disappearance, Ben and Saoirse are sent to live with Granny in the city. When they resolve to return to their home by the sea, their journey becomes a race against time as they are drawn into a world Ben knows only from his mother’s folktales. But this is no bedtime story; these fairy folk have been in our world far too long. It soon becomes clear to Ben that Saoirse is the key to their survival."

http://www.cartoonsaloon.ie/2009/06/feature-films-song-of-the-sea/
RAmmsoldat

PostPosted: Sun Jul 01, 2012 12:10 pm Reply with quote
You mean you dont know of the amazing achievement in animation that is sir billi? good lord man Wink

totally agree, seems people discovered 3D animation and hit the cruise control button and the UK just packed it all in. To be fair the UK animation industry has mostly been about advertising since its inception with the odd foray into stuff like when the wind blows, watership down and the plague dogs.
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Mon Aug 19, 2013 4:43 pm Reply with quote
faintsmile1992 wrote:
the long answer would be ideal. Wink

Did i say give me a week or two? cause i meant a year or two!
12skippy21

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 9:46 am Reply with quote
yurihellsing wrote:
faintsmile1992 wrote:
the long answer would be ideal. Wink

Did i say give me a week or two? cause i meant a year or two!

Where is your answer then? Wink

Given the age of this thread, might be time to re-comment on any changes that have occurred over the last two or so years. I think there has been a little improvement, but that might be down to more shows I like getting released here.

I am too old to comment on new blood, anyone younger want to comment?

However thanks to Hollywood making all these big comic book movies I have noticed the average age of shoppers at the Nottingham comic book shops decrease over the last couple of years with more families entering the shops. Whether the scene is getting better I am not sure but the geek niche does seem to be getting bigger. Hell I have been recommending anime shows to my mates 11 year old son (age appropriate ofcourse though)! Very Happy
yurihellsing

PostPosted: Sun Aug 25, 2013 4:23 pm Reply with quote
see the thing is im not sure where im going with most of it

first draft
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69205968/Ok%20my%20long%20answer.docx
Highway Star

PostPosted: Tue Aug 27, 2013 2:41 pm Reply with quote
[quote="RAmmsoldat"]You mean you don't know of the amazing achievement in animation that is sir billi? good lord man Wink
/quote]

You should be banned for even mentioning that atrocity. I hope I never have to subject my eyes to such absolute cancer ever again. Shocked
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3