• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
ANNCast - Supernerds: Crisis on Infinite Podcasts

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:20 pm Reply with quote
Sanosuke_Inara wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
re: limited editions
I'm so hyped for Madoka Magica that I have bought more than one copy (of the LE). The second isn't for me; I made a bet with someone on another forum that if they could stop complaining about Aniplex until the show comes out I'd give it to them.
What the hell made you think that was a good idea? Neutral

I kind of don't like money. Seriously.
Asejah

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:45 pm Reply with quote
Hi Zac,
what's the name of the music at the beginning of this podcast (ANN Late Night Show segment) Smile ?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:37 pm Reply with quote
Zac, did you say that Hell Teacher Nube is a Go Nagai creation? Though I can say that it more than likely has a Nagai influence to it, it's not a Nagai creation in any way.

Anyway, this was certainly a long an interesting episode... Truly worthy of being episode 100. There's just too much discussed that I truly can't respond to everything that caught my interest, but here's what I could remember:

-About Discotek: I can really understand their cautious method as well, but they do occassionally take a risk and try releasing something that requires them to translate it themselves. Hell, Discotek's big return to anime after about a year+ absence was the Fist of the North Star movie, which had never been officially-translated before then... And when people called Discotek out on the translation issues in the subs, the company even fixed up the subtitles for the re-print, which obviously requires more money to do.

Also, Lupin the 3rd: Episode 0: First Contact was a first-time release, and Discotek is taking possibly their biggest risk ever by releasing the very first Lupin the 3rd TV series this upcoming Spring, 20-some episodes that don't seemingly have any official translation, not to mention the simple fact that it's Lupin the 3rd, which never sol incredibly well, as well as a show from the early-70s. Here's hoping the risk pays off, because Discotek has quickly become a personal favorite company of mine since they got back into the anime business.

-Zac's idea of releasing Macross 7 and then disappearing into the void... Is sheer genius. That company would forever be remembered as a legend. As for releasing an obscure anime? Well, my own personal answer would be Ring ni Kakero 1, which is no surprise for me. Get it out, all four seasons (as well as any future seasons that might come out), on sub-only DVD and put it out in the market. Justin would rather burn his money than spend it on releasing sports anime, but I'm pretty sure doing that is illegal so I'd rather put the money towards something productive.

-The whole "Oda/Mashima Similar Art Styles" thing: Personally, I couldn't care less about how similar their art styles look. Are they similar? Yeah, I won't deny that, but in the end this stuff shouldn't really matter one bit if both titles are enjoyable. And, at least to me, I find both titles very enjoyable and the similar art styles is pretty much a moot point to me.

-Getting more Dynamic Pro animes over here: Agreed. Nothing more to say here.

Can't wait to see how the next 100 episodes will begin next week... "Same Gorg Time, Same Gorg Channel!"
Dr. Osaka

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Zac said nothing when Daryl and Mike admitted to pirating anime. Why not call them out?
Lord Geo

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:04 pm Reply with quote
Dr. Osaka wrote:
Zac said nothing when Daryl and Mike admitted to pirating anime. Why not call them out?

Because they also buy anime that's released over here like crazy and really only pirate when it comes to shows that they can't actually watch over here? It might sound crazy, but there are lots of people who are use both methods of watching anime. Hell, Zac also has effectively admitted to pirating anime as well by simply watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes, so "calling them out" would make Zac a hypocrite.
Kimani

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:18 pm Reply with quote
Lord Geo wrote:
Dr. Osaka wrote:

Because they also buy anime that's released over here like crazy and really only pirate when it comes to shows that they can't actually watch over here? It might sound crazy, but there are lots of people who are use both methods of watching anime. Hell, Zac also has effectively admitted to pirating anime as well by simply watching Legend of the Galactic Heroes, so "calling them out" would make Zac a hypocrite.

Zac has also said he's downloaded US movies, and just bought a Fandago ticket to whatever theater the film was playing it.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 8:26 am Reply with quote
You know who wins in the debate over the originality of Guilty Crown. The answer is WHO CARES, INTERNET!?

I've been watching Guilty Crown and I've been enjoying it. I know the basic facts about Code Geass, but didn't watch it. I cannot deny the similarities, but I just enjoy the damn show. It's funny that Code Geass is the original and GC is being called the copycat, but this isn't the 1970s; Code Geass is a mash-up of things that have been done before-- MANY TIMES-- mixed into a package that entertains people.

Originality: you really want to argue it at this point in history?

Just enjoy your stuff. Am I crazy to ask that?

Now, Daryl Surat, maybe your issue with not being able to get past season 1 of The Wire is that you keep watching the show from episode 1 every time you make another attempt. Maybe you should just start from season 2. Smile
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
rocketface

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Grave of the Fireflies is indeed DA BOMB, much like Barefoot Gen.

Every time I hear about how magical girl anime is just for otaku now, Nanoha is usually the only example mentioned. I don't have an encyclopedic supernerd reputation to pin this on, but I'll bet for every 12-episode moefest you named, I could shoot back a contemporary 50+ episode series that is clearly marketing toys (i.e. targeted at kids.) You say Nanoha, I say Fushigi-boshi Futagohime. You say Madoka, I say Animal Tantei Kiruminzoo. There's Shugo Chara, which was already mentioned. There's Ojamajo Doremi, the Toei marketing juggernaut that was precursor to Precure and successor to Sailor Moon. I could go on.

Now, we could certainly argue semantics about whether all of these shows are "pure" magical girl shows, or whether they just have "elements" of them. My point is that the aesthetic is very much alive, if in a slightly evolved form. The fact that Comet-san was the only example anyone on the podcast could think of suggests that these shows just aren't visible to most western fans, possibly because they are for kids, and therefore not what most of us are looking to watch and discuss on the internet.
v1cious

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:29 pm Reply with quote
As a Moviegoer Green Lantern was mediocre, as a fan it was absolutely offensive. There's no way you could ever convince me that Geoff Johns had anything to do with writing that horrible story.

I don't see the big deal about Guilty Crown being similar to Code Geass. It's by the same writer, What do you expect?

Last edited by v1cious on Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:37 pm Reply with quote
rocketface wrote:
Every time I hear about how magical girl anime is just for otaku now, Nanoha is usually the only example mentioned. I don't have an encyclopedic supernerd reputation to pin this on, but I'll bet for every 12-episode moefest you named, I could shoot back a contemporary 50+ episode series that is clearly marketing toys (i.e. targeted at kids.)

Pretty much.

Jewelpet is a growing franchise as well, currently on it's third series after debuting in 2009. 52 episodes each.

Pretty Cure (on it's 8th series with a 9th announced) usually also around 50 episodes each.

I wouldn't be surprised if Pretty Rhythm became another one.. it's currently on episode 39 and I can easily see "Aurora Dream" just being the first series in the Pretty Rhythm franchise.

Which is why the idea that a 12 episode series like Madoka being the current "poster child" for magical girl is just ludicrous. I guess it just comes with the 'different market' thing.. most people here probably know of Madoka more than Jewelpet or the others since they aren't aimed at otkau. So yeah, otaku would see otaku anime as being the big one, since the others are pretty much non-existent in the American market.
ResistNormal

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 4:25 pm Reply with quote
Can I add to the inappropriate box copy.

Grave of the Fireflies: The type of animation people are starving for. Laughing
This title set the world on fire.
MUSAWE

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 12:20 am Reply with quote
Interesting opinions about Madoka Mageeca. I thought it ranged from a badly paced, mediocre drama to offensively bad sci-fi that was trying way too hard.

I don't see it having any effect on the anime medium as everything on that show has already been done before and in much better fashion.
YotaruVegeta

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:10 am Reply with quote
Madoka Magica.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Spotlesseden

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:49 pm Reply with quote
YotaruVegeta wrote:
You know who wins in the debate over the originality of Guilty Crown. The answer is WHO CARES, INTERNET!?

I've been watching Guilty Crown and I've been enjoying it. I know the basic facts about Code Geass, but didn't watch it. I cannot deny the similarities, but I just enjoy the damn show. It's funny that Code Geass is the original and GC is being called the copycat, but this isn't the 1970s; Code Geass is a mash-up of things that have been done before-- MANY TIMES-- mixed into a package that entertains people.

Originality: you really want to argue it at this point in history?

Just enjoy your stuff. Am I crazy to ask that?

Now, Daryl Surat, maybe your issue with not being able to get past season 1 of The Wire is that you keep watching the show from episode 1 every time you make another attempt. Maybe you should just start from season 2. Smile

I don't see how many people argue about GC is carbon copy of Code Geass. Mostly only ANN people think so. Almost all the people who watched both shows agree that the first couple eps are very similar, then later is not so much. The male and female lead are very different too.

If you think they are carbon copy, you need to provide reason why.

from the ANN interview.
"Japan being undermined, and the boy meeting a girl who grants him power."

This argument is weak because i can do the samething with almost all the anime.
example:
Madoka Magica is carbon copy of Nanoha. Cute girl meeting cute animal who grant girl power. cute girl tries to save the world.
Charred Knight

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:16 pm Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:
As a Moviegoer Green Lantern was mediocre, as a fan it was absolutely offensive. There's no way you could ever convince me that Geoff Johns had anything to do with writing that horrible story.

I don't see the big deal about Guilty Crown being similar to Code Geass. It's by the same writer, What do you expect?

The main writer of Code Geass was Ichiro Okouchi with Hiroyuki Yoshino helping him, while Guilty Crown has Hiroyuki Yoshino as the main writer while Ichiro Okouchi is helping him. So while the two same guys are in charge of the story, they switched roles.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5