• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hanasaku Iroha Gets New Anime in 2012

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 5:17 pm Reply with quote
bwcbwc wrote:
and the way Ohana develops "Stockholm Syndrome" is both hysterical and plausible.

Not funny because all I could think was "this is so utterly stupid", and not plausible either. If that's a plausible depiction of Stockholm Syndrome I'll eat my shoe.

bwcbwc wrote:
And later episodes are even more fan-servicey.

Fanservice is subjective, but later scenes were more fanservicey than rope bondage? I don't think so. Nako was used to good effect with French-style getup and the revealing cheongsam, but shibari is far more advanced. Plus, as Cecilthedarkknight_234 mentioned, that one bondage scene sparked huge amounts of doujins. It is clear as to what sparked the fans' interest, and it wasn't Ohana's grandmother taking a lightning-fast bath.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm actually going to start this series Monday, and what is the deal with episode 3? Is that where some guy kidnaps her and practices knots on her (I just read the review of the streaming episodes)? I already know that I will despise/rage at that part...
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sat Dec 10, 2011 9:46 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
I'm actually going to start this series Monday, and what is the deal with episode 3? Is that where some guy kidnaps her and practices knots on her (I just read the review of the streaming episodes)? I already know that I will despise/rage at that part...

this is ann and most here hate fan-service, ecchi etc. I don't mind it to much "being from crunchyroll and 4chan" but that scene didn't really piss me off per say.. however it did spark some of the worst ntr doujins i have ever seen.. now those.. I hate.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:12 am Reply with quote
Red Fox of Fire wrote:
Tanteikingdomkey wrote:
I am sorry that it's boring because it is not moe. I have shown this to my parents and minus episode 3 they really liked it. I showed angel beats to them, and my mom could not handle how much of an idiot the characters in angel beats can act, in the opening episodes. the characters in iroha are far more developed and two dimensional (I LOVE ANGEL BEATS, and my bluray of it). Iroha is a series people can relate to it's about a hotel/ inn that is not to unfamiliar to an american audience.

Thanks for assuming it's all about the moe.

Angel Beats does lack character development. That's one of its problems. It really should have been longer while Hanasaku Iroha should have been shorter.

Iroha probably should have been a bit shorter, but I honestly think the charcters in ohana are great and love every episode to varying degrees and never found a reason to call it boring. yes he probably should have been more competent, but his big problem is self confidence not competence that was just a side effect, also he might have been able to run it... but he really did need more experience and time along with self confidence before he could effectively run it.
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:21 am Reply with quote
I hope it's another 2 part series. The ending was good but I say throw it in the trash can if they can get 26 more good episodes out of it. I'll take more good content > less good content because, at worst, I can just now watch the second season if it sucks and it'll be the same as if they never made it.

I actually wouldn't want a time skip. 20 years in the future these characters either won't have the same traits and chemistry that they have now or they'll be damn near 40 still acting like 16 year olds, which is more pathetic than funny/touching.
EnigmaticSky

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 6:27 pm Reply with quote
Cecilthedarkknight_234 wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:

this is ann and most here hate fan-service, ecchi etc. I don't mind it to much "being from crunchyroll and 4chan" but that scene didn't really piss me off per say.. however it did spark some of the worst ntr doujins i have ever seen.. now those.. I hate.

I don't have any problem with ecchi or fanservice, but it still just seems f-ed up to me in this show.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 7:14 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:
EnigmaticSky wrote:

I don't have any problem with ecchi or fanservice, but it still just seems f-ed up to me in this show.

The writer is female so who knows.. maybe it's part of her sexual fantasies?? The same could be said the creator of kodomo no Jikan... some of those chapters are about the authors sexual encounters/fantasies she had at that age.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
vinamara

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:06 pm Reply with quote
All I see is people hating ridiculously on one bad episode and ignoring the rest of the amazing series. Its baffling how something like that can blur people's vision and make them say that the whole series is subpar or crap. Rolling Eyes

The series may have all the traditional Japanese rituals and ceremonies but none of that is inaccessible or incomprehensible by people of the west. This show has down-to-earth characters that average people can identify with unlike most anime and in addition, it is educational at times.

There are far worse depictions and immoral implications in Naruto and Bleach and even in Gintama, but all those millions of people who watch these series don't brood and whine about it all day. I don't see why people have to be up in arms about one little mishap.

*Braces for obvious flak* Anime smile + sweatdrop
Key

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:47 pm Reply with quote
EnigmaticSky wrote:

Listen more to vinamara than the others. Some posters in this thread have expressed opinions on this series that I find far out of whack with reality. Even with episode 3 figured in (and really, I did not find it to be that big of a deal, though it was more of a stretch than any other episode), I still consider this as standing firmly amongst the year's top series.

I have mixed feelings about further animated content, though. I felt the series ended exactly the way it should have and don't see that there's more story to tell here.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:26 pm Reply with quote
vinamara wrote:
All I see is people hating ridiculously on one bad episode and ignoring the rest of the amazing series. Its baffling how something like that can blur people's vision and make them say that the whole series is subpar or crap. Rolling Eyes

I don't see why people have to be up in arms about one little mishap.

See my post about having ones head cut off. This one incident completely destroyed the show's believability, which in turned spoiled the subsequent drama. Not that the drama was all that well-written to begin with, but still. How can I take Ohana seriously when she displays such bizarre behaviour? And it is bizarre. She's not entirely normal but to lack such basic reactions is totally unrealistic. Sure, I'd love for the next girl I kidnap and tie up - I joke - to be into that sort of thing, but I severely doubt it.

Episode three was basically the show jumping the shark, which is pretty sad really.

If you want an example of another show that destroyed itself with a single scene/episode, there's Dream Eater Merry, also known as Yumekui Merry. In that instance it was episode nine that killed the show, with a plot 'twist' so moronic that the show had dropped three or four grades by the episode's end. I think the phrase 'self-destructed' would be a good way to describe it. Occult Academy also had a big reveal that completely changed the show's believability and enjoyability for the worse from then out.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:33 pm Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
vinamara wrote:

See my post about having ones head cut off. This one incident completely destroyed the show's believability, which in turned spoiled the subsequent drama. Not that the drama was all that well-written to begin with, but still. How can I take Ohana seriously when she displays such bizarre behavior? And it is bizarre. She's not entirely normal but to lack such basic reactions is totally unrealistic. Sure, I'd love for the next girl I kidnap and tie up - I joke - to be into that sort of thing, but I severely doubt it.

Episode three was basically the show jumping the shark, which is pretty sad really.

If you want an example of another show that destroyed itself with a single scene/episode, there's Dream Eater Merry, also known as Yumekui Merry. In that instance it was episode nine that killed the show, with a plot 'twist' so moronic that the show had dropped three or four grades by the episode's end. I think the phrase 'self-destructed' would be a good way to describe it. Occult Academy also had a big reveal that completely changed the show's believability and enjoyability for the worse from then out.

well it's j.c. staff on yuki merry did you expect a good ending or non twist?? The manga is the better route on this and well occult academy had a deus ex machina ending...not to surprised there either.
naninanino

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I hope it will be a full on fanservice fest this time around. The only decent part of the show, if you ask me.
dtm42

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:48 pm Reply with quote
well it's j.c. staff on yuki merry did you expect a good ending or non twist?? The manga is the better route on this and well occult academy had a deus ex machina ending...not to surprised there either.

I haven't read the Yumekui Merry Manga, but tell me, do you actually know what I am referring to? How can you say it wasn't in the Manga too?
Anymouse

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:45 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
vinamara wrote:

See my post about having ones head cut off. This one incident completely destroyed the show's believability, which in turned spoiled the subsequent drama. Not that the drama was all that well-written to begin with, but still. How can I take Ohana seriously when she displays such bizarre behaviour? And it is bizarre. She's not entirely normal but to lack such basic reactions is totally unrealistic. Sure, I'd love for the next girl I kidnap and tie up - I joke - to be into that sort of thing, but I severely doubt it.

I didn't think the series was that bad but maybe it's not a coincidence that I stopped watching it there.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:53 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:

I haven't read the Yumekui Merry Manga, but tell me, do you actually know what I am referring to? How can you say it wasn't in the Manga too?

the ending or twist was taken out, i have lurked in enough forums/thread to realize that although i can't say I am 100% sure. It has a much better ending than the anime as well which also pis*** alot of people, i dropped yuki merry when i seen that the male lead looked like misaka from railgun/index. Does it take much to design characters?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4