• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Hanasaku Iroha Gets New Anime in 2012

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:16 am Reply with quote
Apologies to Hanasaku Iroha fans for taking this thread even more off course. Cecilthedarkknight_234, I was not talking about the ending but the event in episode nine that sunk the show. Do you know what that was?
PlatinumHawke

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 3:17 am Reply with quote
If it's anything to do with spoiler[Iijima], then it's not in the manga because he's not in it. The TV anime finished the break-away from the manga with the 9th episode.
Key

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 11:47 am Reply with quote
dtm42 wrote:
This one incident completely destroyed the show's believability, which in turned spoiled the subsequent drama.

I entirely disagree on both of these points. Even if I acknowledge that the scene you're talking about is a problem, it's still an aberration compared to the rest of the series, and using one-shot aberrations as symptomatic of a character or series' normal quality standards is merely hating on a series.

Quote:
Not that the drama was all that well-written to begin with, but still. How can I take Ohana seriously when she displays such bizarre behaviour? And it is bizarre. She's not entirely normal but to lack such basic reactions is totally unrealistic.

I don't agree here, either, for two reasons: 1) spoiler[Ohana seemed to realize pretty quickly that the writer was too incompetent to actually be a threat to her, so given that the way she acted was definitely in-character] and 2) that's not the only place in the series where it stretches reality a bit for humor's sake - and yes, I did find that scene to be funny, which I'm convinced was the intent.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
PetrifiedJello

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 12:29 pm Reply with quote
con·text [kon-tekst]
noun
1. the parts of a written or spoken statement that precede or follow a specific word or passage, usually influencing its meaning or effect: You have misinterpreted my remark because you took it out of context.
2. the set of circumstances or facts that surround a particular event, situation, etc.

There, that's better. The room's been separated between "A series gets more animation" and "Those who believe 'context' is an inmate's phone message" regarding episode three.

Let those who haven't seen the series now make a better choice on whose opinion one should listen to.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Yes, context indeed.

Let those who plan to watch this series know that it tries to be a Slice of Life Drama and yet has absurd 'comedy' such as the bondage scene. Oh wow, that really fits in with a story about a girl trying to find a new home and mature from a girl into a young woman. Let's make her so helpful she'll even give advice to her kidnapper about how to properly tie the knots of the rope she's bound in. Yes, that really fits in with the tone of the story.

This is where you're supposed to gag.

Context. How about people use it?
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 5:31 pm Reply with quote
So, dtm, if episode 3 irrevocably ruined the series for you at that very instant, why did you bother continuing?
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:24 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
So, dtm, if episode 3 irrevocably ruined the series for you at that very instant, why did you bother continuing?

The same reason I finished Deadman Wonderland and [C]. Because otherwise, if I had not watched them till the end, people would have accused me of not knowing what went on later in each series and therefore dismiss my arguments.

So, I finished Hanasaku Iroha as I did those two. And yes, unlike the others it did get better, enough to get a positive grade (if you can Decent 'positive'. Which I do). But people are still dismissing me. I sat through all those bloody episodes and I'm still getting treated as if I only watched three. What the heck was the point?

So yeah, in hindsight, why did I bother to watch it? I want to know the answer to that one more than anyone else.
Dorcas_Aurelia

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Because you judged the series based on the third episode and only grudgingly admit that any of the rest of it was relevant and better. You spent the series looking for evidence to support your conclusion rather than taking it for what it was.
dtm42

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 7:48 pm Reply with quote
Nice try, but it ain't true.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Page 4 of 4