• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Otakon Acknowledges Artist Alley Controversy

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
enurtsol

PostPosted: Sun Aug 31, 2008 1:37 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Well why don't you just give groups more than 1 table and make them pay for the priviledge? Is it a space issue? Being in more than 1 area could generate more profit for the artists.

Except instead of cheaper rates with more tables purchased, increase the rates as more tables are purchased. That way, it discourages multiple purchasing of tables because of diminishing returns. Laughing

(Though that still wouldn't prevent someone using multiple identities.)
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
I'm not sure what could be done about preventing multiple fake registrations for the same person with different IDs - though I think that taking driver's license/state ID numbers could help. Consecutive tables being more expensive may help as well - I whould hope that together these "starving artists" whould not have the funds to float such a scam even if the table prices increased exponentially. That being said, there is some necessity to avoid locking out real starving artists because they can't afford the table fees, I whould think. Banning someone from the con whould be effective if you could enforce it well - which could be difficult and problematic to say the least. Otakon is, for better or worse, one of the largest cons in the country. This kind of thing, imaginably, comes with the territory. There are some lousy people out there, to be sure. Hopefully something can be worked out to prevent such things in the future as best as the con can manage. If this is discovered at a/the con in the future, however it was discovered this time, then I whould think that the offending person and their cohorts should be ejected from Artist Alley, their badges pulled, no refunds. I don't think this is a space issue - I think this is a "right thing to do" issue. I think its up to the congoers, most of which are pretty upstanding individuals, and the con to make sure that things are nice and fair.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Tsu-na-mi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 7:58 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Baltimore should have been able to accomodate with a larger area if Otakon was willing to pay more money.

You obviously don't attend OTAKON, or you would never make such a ridiculous statement.

OTAKON already has probably the largest artist alley of any anime convention in the country. It's several times larger than most. in 2006, it was about five times the size of AX's artist alley (according to numbers on the AX forums).

It's not a matter of spending more money, it's a matter of having no more room to expand it. The room is second only to the dealers' room in terms of size, and is in a 55,000 sqft exhibit hall. It shares the space with the traditional art show, and last time I was there, an area set aside for the art auction on Sunday. It also has a fairly large "lobby" because crowding in that room is an issue.
dangerwhat

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:59 pm Reply with quote
Tsu-na-mi wrote:
It also has a fairly large "lobby" because crowding in that room is an issue.

Sure, they could pay more money and have a larger space. But it whouldn't be there. It'd be have to somewhere else - which is probably getting on the silly side then. Also, its not like cons can just spend money willy-nilly anyhow.

Crowding and space is a ridiculous issue at most cons, let alone one of Otakon's size and so, really, how the space works out is "fine". I don't think that buying more space at an offsite location is going to helpful to the con.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:37 pm Reply with quote
Stupid idea, but IIRC, Artists usually have some sort of portfolio showcasing their work in order to show prospective clients and employers.

Why not include a stipulation in the registration form where part of the requirements is to submit a portfolio of said work? It doesn't have to be original artwork, a simple binder of 8.5X11 sheets in those plastic page protectors would suffice. Also perhaps a business plan, and a thumbnail sheet/catalog of sorts of art prints that will be sold at the con? Plus additional verification of work via online sites or even a personal website?

Solution #1 is that by submitting a portfolio and business plans, it prevents duplication/hoarding of tables. Solution #2 is it puts the burden of proof on the artist that yes, he/she drew it. Solution #3 is that it provides a handy "evidence packet" if transgressions arise. Solution #4, like Masquerades at other cons screen for inappropriate content, there is a chance to spot potential abuse if a few folks submit nearly similar artwork.

Of course, problems may arise, like artists complaining that they can't create an effective business plan, unfinished prints, volatility of the fandom, artist spreads out work via a number of tables, etc.

It's not perfect, but by adding certain safeguards, it might be easier to catch someone in the act because they will try to avoid one roadblock, but stumble at another.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
double post.

Last edited by Hon'ya-chan on Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:42 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:38 pm Reply with quote
Triple? Wow.
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Wed Sep 03, 2008 7:41 pm Reply with quote
Okay, I have no idea why I posted 4 times in a row. Stupid Board.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3