• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - Angels in the Outerspace

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
driverstart

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:13 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
you can skip Claymore (get the manga instead) and get Black Lagoon Wink (you "have" Claymore? is it out already?)

No, what I meant is that I have the manga series. I might consider getting Claymore on DVD and consider getting Black Lagoon. I mention Bleach, Naruto, and Claymore because the person has those manga volumes like me.
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:31 am Reply with quote
ok, I get it Very Happy Personally I feel that the Claymore anime was a disappointment. The action scenes ironically look better in the manga x_X and the anime-only part of the story is ridiculously bad. It depends on how much you like the series and if you really want to see the characters animated and talking, because apart from that the anime doesn't add anything to the "Claymore-experience" ... sorry, dunno how to say that ^^;;

as far as pure action anime goes, Black Lagoon is a lot better than Claymore animation-wise, imho.
Truered

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 11:33 am Reply with quote
Yay Very Happy

I'd been holding out against importing the separate galaxy angel AA volumes, expecting a complete collection to arrive one day.

Just a shame I'll have to wait until I get back to Uni to order it Laughing
Big Hed

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:31 pm Reply with quote
driverstart wrote:
I might want to get Black Lagoon, but I am not sure. Is it worth my money?

Objectively, I'd say Black Lagoon is definitely a worthwhile purchase. Subjectively? Yes again. Hot female lead with a thirst for violence, what's not to like? Very Happy
cool3865

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 12:35 pm Reply with quote
for the people that haven't seen all of the 2nd season of Black Lagoon, you are in for a treat after the 3rd episode.

i still need to pick up the 1st season.
Top Gun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 1:17 pm Reply with quote
Man, I'm jealous of both the anime and non-anime sides of that collection. Very impressive stuff; particular props for getting some good sci-fi and Venture Brothers in there. I'm starting to feel like I'm the only person in the world who keeps every single DVD he owns in cardboard boxes, instead of on some sort of shelving unit...
vashfanatic

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 2:34 pm Reply with quote
Oddly, 11-15 is by far my least favorite part of TTGL, as it sinks into a serious of ridiculously over-the-top mecha battles against perfectly silly villains. I don't like mecha that much, and it bored the hell out of me. But starting in 17, it enters its best arc, and managed to redeem itself with me, thought I still feel the whole series is kind of all over the place, varying in massively quality from one arc to another. Don't get me wrong: I don't think it's bad, just before you go buy it, you might want to double-check that it's really going to be your thing by renting it.

Quote:
Am I the only person that really disliked live-action L?

No, you're not. He looks a lot cooler in the posters than he does in the movie. I didn't like him much at all; I loved how Kappei Yamaguchi played him in the anime, which I wasn't expecting at all (Inuyasha as L had me in despair).

So, is it just me or are Japanese live action movies in general a lot lower in quality than their anime ones?? It makes me fear for the "20th Century Boy" movies...
The Xenos

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 3:12 pm Reply with quote
Phew. Someone else who thought live action Death Note was a total let down. It was almost like a typical American comic to film, where the story is chopped up and the characters are watered down for mass consumption. Hell, they even fall back on the cliche of adding a generic love interest for the main character in order to artificially create a dramatic climax to the film. Another major nitpick I have that I don't see here was the cinematography. They made Death Note had all the visual appeal of a TV drama. It just seemed so lack luster compared to the amazing artwork of the book. Even the anime filmed things more dramatically. Maybe a bit over the top, but still better than being bland.
Senna

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:20 pm Reply with quote
Ditto on the Death Note movie. I also found the only good part to be L (who is awesome in any form).
GhstDreamer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 5:35 pm Reply with quote
I didn't enjoy the Death Note movies either (the second one was slightly better than the first) and L: Change the World imo was the best out of the three. For me, I thought the actor who played L was quite decent. The actor for Light was just awful with the over-emoting thing. His voice was also a bit grating. Then again, I just find that live action movies/series based on manga or anime tend to be huge let downs with the altered plotlines, character personalities and bad acting.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 6:55 pm Reply with quote
I'm pretty pumped about all the Geneon rereleases in the coming month as well, but I gotta tell ya, my wallet sure isn't, hehe. I must say I've kind of enjoyed the downtime of decent releases as I've had so little to worry about picking up as of late, but in these coming months there's going to be a number of series I intend to pick up all at once.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maaya

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 7:15 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
So, is it just me or are Japanese live action movies in general a lot lower in quality than their anime ones?? It makes me fear for the "20th Century Boy" movies...

Quote:
Then again, I just find that live action movies/series based on manga or anime tend to be huge let downs with the altered plotlines, character personalities and bad acting.

I don't think so. There are many great live action series and movies. For example the Nodame Cantabile one is much better than the anime/manga imho. I also the prefered Zettai Kareshi live action over the manga, but that's because they made it appeal more to an older audience I guess.
The "grave of the fireflies" live action was really good also ... wouldn't say that it's better than the anime, but just as good.

Quote:
Hell, they even fall back on the cliche of adding a generic love interest for the main character in order to artificially create a dramatic climax to the film.

I thought this actually showed his heartlessness even better, as he doesn't even care for the person he is supposed to love. He just used her for his plans without any second thought afair.
zrdb

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 9:44 pm Reply with quote
$7000 in dvds? Wonder if they're all anime-from the pictures it sure doesn't look like it. I've never really bothered to inventory my anime dvd collection-but I have over 2000 discs-probally over $6000 woth of stuff.
Dargonxtc

PostPosted: Mon Sep 01, 2008 10:56 pm Reply with quote
zrdb wrote:
but I have over 2000 discs-probally over $6000 woth of stuff.

So your averaging about $3 a disc?

Where do you shop if you don't mind telling?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Big Hed

PostPosted: Tue Sep 02, 2008 12:17 am Reply with quote
Top Gun wrote:
I'm starting to feel like I'm the only person in the world who keeps every single DVD he owns in cardboard boxes, instead of on some sort of shelving unit...

If it's any consolation, I went from a set of really sweet shelves at home, to having a large part of my collection on the floor in a corner of my apartment. Another part sits in three rows beside me on my desk, and then there's the remainder which I haven't moved over yet.

Dargonxtc wrote:

So your averaging about $3 a disc?

I'm thinking zrdb meant $6000 worth of other anime stuff, rather than discs...at least I hope Shocked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3