• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Gia's List: 6 Destroyers of the Fourth Wall

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
vinamara

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 12:40 am Reply with quote
Lets not forget Love Hina where Ken Akamatsu himself descends on them. He also voiced himself. Broke the fourth wall into reality. Laughing

And if parodying something is the biggest compliment (in some cases) then "I'm in despair!" - Nozomu Itoshiki (Sayonara, Zetsubou-sensei) is the surefire winner. Many animation series, the names of which I can't currently remember, parodied this catchphrase.
ZakuAce

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:08 am Reply with quote
People who don't vote for Kenshiro: You are already dead.
As3ann

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:41 am Reply with quote
I would like to vote for Katsura Kotarou's catchphrase "___ janai,Katsura da!" even if it doesn't exist Cool
Gilles Poitras

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 8:52 am Reply with quote
Breaking the 4th wall has long roots in Japanese popular entertainment. It is common in kabuki, often done in very funny ways.

In the DVD release of the famous play Sukeroku: Flower of Edo the 4th wall breaking scene is one that is traditionally ad-libbed. I won't say what the comment to the audience is to avoid posting a spoiler but it is funny.
yotsubafanfan

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:47 am Reply with quote
Good for Kodocha getting 4th place but what about team rocket off of the older Pokemon episodes, they've destroyed the 4th wall countless numbers of times, in the show and the movies. Sure ash does in a few times but its not as funny as when Team Rocket does it. Oh and what about Koshi Rikdo from Excel Saga, he's broken it in every episode!
glitteringloke

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 10:39 am Reply with quote
I was always most fond of the fourth wall breaking in Bastard. Though I guess because it's old and a short OVA, no one remembers it :/

though, i would have loved to see the ____ ja nai, katsura da! on the catch phrase list too Anime cry
Eivion

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:09 am Reply with quote
Lina being on the list let alone so high feels kind of ridiculous, especially compared to Gintama. Kind of shocked there was no mention of Excel Saga which has a good amount of 4th wall breaking.
The King of Harts

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:55 am Reply with quote
As for Excel Saga, can you break the fourth wall if you don't even have a fourth wall? That thing was broken so many times that I assumed they just stopped rebuilding it.

Where's Pani Poni Dash on this list? One of my favorites bits would be where the camera would pan out and show that the classroom was just a set and all the workers would be running around.

I think Lina should be on the list simply for the "In Japanese" part from Slayers Next, even though that was more because of the dub than the show.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
maus

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:00 pm Reply with quote
I'd like to vote for "Oro?!" From Rurouni Kenshin.
Cecilthedarkknight_234

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 4:29 pm Reply with quote
no mention of umineko or higurashi.. then again those series didn't have 4th wall when it was all said/done.. lol

Anyhow nice list Gia
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Divineking

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 9:11 pm Reply with quote
Anyone who doesn;t vote for Kenshiro's catchphrase is already dead Cool
FuzzyGreenPillow

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:15 pm Reply with quote
What about Princess Tutu? spoiler[Rue proceeds to break the in series fourth wall by talking to Drosselmeyer and then Drosselmeyer breaks the unheard of fifth wall by wondering if he's in someone else's story as well.] 0.0

Keichitsu0305 wrote:
But I'm surprise that THIS CATCHPHRASE, WHICH HAS BEEN PASSED DOWN THROUGH THE ARMSTRONG LINE FOR GENERATIONS!!!
*cue sparkles* isn't on the list.

That is the main reason I'm commenting on this thread. I can't believe it! (Haha, "Believe it!")

I voted on Kamina's, because Kamina is awesome. And his is the only catchphrase besides Naruto's that I recognize Anime smile

Oh yeah, and...
THIS ART OF BREAKING THE FOURTH WALL HAS BEEN PASSED DOWN THROUGH THE ARMSTRONG LINE FOR GENERATIONS!!!
*`*~.~*`*~.~*`*~.~*`*~.~*`*~.~ <-(Teh sparklez)
hooliganj

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 11:43 pm Reply with quote
I also thought of Princess Tutu, where they used the Peter Pan (stage version) trick of breaking the fourth wall as part of the story.

As for catch phrases:
"I can see the ending." - Katsuragi Keima, The World God Only Knows
"I will reconstruct these fragments of chaos." - Victorique de Blois, Gosick
"Study, study, study, study..." - Kintaro Oe, Golden Boy
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:25 am Reply with quote
Does Akane Tendo's "Ranma no Baka!" as she drives him into various objects (or orbit) count as a catch phrase? I am pretty sure not a single episode of the show Ranma Nibon-no-Ichi is lacking that particular line?
TitanXL

PostPosted: Mon Dec 12, 2011 1:26 am Reply with quote
Sakurazuka_Reika wrote:
Not to mention Roman in Sket Dance. Although she does break the fourth-wall in the manga more than in the anime...

Everyone in Sket Dance breaks the fourth wall.

Usually there isn't even a fourth wall.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4