• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gunbuster 2 details

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Katsuragi

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 1:55 pm Reply with quote
well, actually we can't judge the anime by its drawing yet... instead of real-mecha like gunbuster1 (gunbuster itself was a super robot, but still...), gunbuster 2's mecha looks like FLCL-ish, which is personificated. We should consider that it's YS's concept, but since 3 other mecha designers are involved, I bet that it will change a lot.....

seems like GAiNAX is having a hard time these days... (btw, Anno is not working on this one, Kazuya is... but he always worked with Anno and respects Anno as his friend and master, their style won't be strange)
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 4:02 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Honneamise a financial failure? I don't see how, since it was their first film. If it flopped there wouldn't have been a Gunbuster, and we wouldn't be here speaking of it. Also, Gainax, Gonzo, Disney, etc. are businesses. If something is popular you milk it for what its worth. As long as people keep buying Evangelion re-releases, they'll keep making them. Why shouldn't they?

So what you're saying is that if a studio makes a bomb, it should be out of business. That's not how it works. With Honneamise, Bandai put up the cash, and the risk for them to deliver a movie. So Bandai are the ones with the ultimate financial burden. That's the difference between Gainax and Gonzo, and someone like Disney- Disney is self-financing, Gainax and Gonzo are work-for-hire or under distribution deals. Eva was the first project that Gainax was majority holder on, so of course they milk the one thing that really generates cash for them.
Sketchee

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 5:40 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
its retarded to argue on the internet even more so in reality

Yeah they really need to stop teaching argumentative essays in school. Rolling Eyes
noriko-takaya

PostPosted: Sat May 08, 2004 6:10 pm Reply with quote
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
Secondly, Kiseki was the one that edited the show, not U.S. Renditions. I own the USR versions and the bath scene is completely intact.

I am well aware of this. I was not stating US Renditions had edited the content.
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 3:28 am Reply with quote
Well, I posted a plot summary on the Encyclopedia entry for Gunbuster 2 based on the information I've acquired. Of course, it's not 100% accurate until episode 1 is released.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 6:44 am Reply with quote
noriko-takaya wrote:
Renaisance Otaku wrote:
Secondly, Kiseki was the one that edited the show, not U.S. Renditions. I own the USR versions and the bath scene is completely intact.

I am well aware of this. I was not stating US Renditions had edited the content.

That was a reply to something Dejiko said. I actually started writing my post before yours was posted. Sorry for the confusion.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
Renaisance Otaku

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 6:54 am Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Quote:
Honneamise a financial failure? I don't see how, since it was their first film. If it flopped there wouldn't have been a Gunbuster, and we wouldn't be here speaking of it. Also, Gainax, Gonzo, Disney, etc. are businesses. If something is popular you milk it for what its worth. As long as people keep buying Evangelion re-releases, they'll keep making them. Why shouldn't they?

So what you're saying is that if a studio makes a bomb, it should be out of business. That's not how it works. With Honneamise, Bandai put up the cash, and the risk for them to deliver a movie. So Bandai are the ones with the ultimate financial burden. That's the difference between Gainax and Gonzo, and someone like Disney- Disney is self-financing, Gainax and Gonzo are work-for-hire or under distribution deals. Eva was the first project that Gainax was majority holder on, so of course they milk the one thing that really generates cash for them.

I realize that and its not exactly what I meant. I was writing up a response to another post. I think what I mean is more along the lines of had it bombed things would have gone differently and such, something like that, it wasn't a main point I was trying to make. Wink
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger My Anime My Manga
AM Chair

PostPosted: Sun May 09, 2004 10:48 am Reply with quote
Interesting arguements about this, but I have to comment on that open letter to Gainax, et al.
Main point: It's not YOUR anime. It's the home market's. They are the main focal point of everything produced. They don't make this stuff with you in mind, so little is gained by getting emotional about it. It's very easy to think that we are a major factor in what the Japanese anime industry produces, but we're not.

So when you start criticizing production values, keep that in mind. We're but passengers in the car that is domestic content for japanese youth.
Meh

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 2:05 am Reply with quote
I see a lot of people complaining about how this is "Ruining Gunbuster" and no one talking about who's actually working on this project. Is anyone else excited to see something new from the director of FLCL or is it just me?

And it's not just the director, many of the team working on this have worked on FLCL and some other great (and wierd) series:
Yoji Enokido - writer for FLCL, UTENA and ep 11 of EVA
Yoshiyuki Sadamoto - character designer - EVA, FLCL a whole bunch of other series.
They even have Kunihiko Ikuhara (director of UTENA) doing storyboards for an episode, and as far as I can tell this will be the first thing he's done since he took a haitus from anime to attend film school in the states.

This is pretty much Gainax's best (minus Anno). They haven't done anything during the last few years of sucky gainax releases (Mahoromatic etc...). So c'mon people, quite worrying Very Happy

Gunbuster 2 may not resemble the original in any way, shape or form, but given who's working on it, it should be a damn good OAV and a welcome change from the general gainax suck of the last two years.
Dejiko

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:39 am Reply with quote
AM Chair wrote:
So when you start criticizing production values, keep that in mind. We're but passengers in the car that is domestic content for japanese youth.

I think we can safely assume that in this era of increasing foreign funding and a booming foreign market, this is not entirely true anymore. It is only likely that anime producers might start to think a bit more 'global' (Ikuhara being a good example of this), wether we like it or not.

@Meh: Yes, the staff list reads like an all-star team, there's hope yet Wink
Katsuragi

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 5:10 pm Reply with quote
Meh wrote:
I see a lot of people complaining about how this is "Ruining Gunbuster" and no one talking about who's actually working on this project.

yes, I"m (or we) very excited that Kazuya + YS are back, but we are keep relating our topics to 'Gunbuster' because it's 'sequel.' If it was a new series and came up with another title, I bet that no one will talk like this (no complainment)

Gunbuster 1 was VERY nice, if they ruin it a little, I'll call that successive..... If it's better than Gunbuster 1, WOW, it can be the best anime of 2004 or 21c Rolling Eyes
king_micah

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 9:28 pm Reply with quote
The link is broken.
neverland0

PostPosted: Mon May 10, 2004 11:22 pm Reply with quote
Did someone save the pic? File not found error Crying or Very sad
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:08 am Reply with quote
I saved it and cut them into sections:

New Buster Machine

Nono

Raruku

Chiko
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime
areaseven
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Tue May 11, 2004 1:25 am Reply with quote
noriko-takaya found this pic today.

(Special thanks to noriko-takaya)
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4