• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Firefly an Outlaw Star Ripoff?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 7:55 pm Reply with quote
even if it is true I think it is cool that he got ideas (if he did). what I don't like is when they go right out and remake anime. except for Japanese companies of course.
Slim Shinji
Past ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 8:55 pm Reply with quote
Maybe the girl-in-the-suitcase is a just a visual homage, kinda like the bathtub scene in Requiem for a Dream (for those who haven't seen that film, that sequence is a shot-for-shot recreation of the one in Perfect Blue).
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:02 pm Reply with quote
maybe the Director is an otaku.
Magister_L

PostPosted: Thu Sep 12, 2002 9:38 pm Reply with quote
sorry about the cursing. didn't know that was a rule Anime smile;;;
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Ishi

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 10:09 am Reply with quote
yeah it appears Weldon thought nobody would notice if he stole from a "japanese cartoon". Can we sue him?
TheAngstyKiller

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 4:24 pm Reply with quote
If they steal the bit where they escape from a prison planet using one end of the compass to carry them up, I'm going to laugh my head off. That trick doesn't work in real life; you'd get two separate magnets instead Laughing

"Cry Hentai and let loose the otaku of war!!!"
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Fri Sep 13, 2002 9:19 pm Reply with quote
Whoops.....

I didn't mean to insult Faye. I was trying to point out that she's a very racily dressed, morally questionable woman which appears to be what they're aiming for with this character. (I should have pointed out that Faye's one of my favorite general characters, although not on my "list") As punishment for this transgression, I am subjecting myself to a loop track of the dubbed version of the song Mr. Dandy from Bubblegum Crisis. I am truly sorry.
Magister_L

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 12:08 am Reply with quote
If Weldon did take ideas from outlaw star do you think he will admit that he did take the idea from the anime or just keep saying that its just a coincidence
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 1:23 am Reply with quote
I think people are just reading waaaaay too much into this. The way I see it is until Hajime Yadate or Takehito Ito contact their lawyers everyone should just calm down and enjoy the show. Besides, what's the difference if he's influenced by a book or an anime other than that there's a lot of otaku out there that like to go out on which hunts and blow things out of proportion. I mean, get real, where is it writen that once an anime is made about space an american studio can't run a live action series in space too? Maybe Leiji Matsumoto and Gene Rodenberry (sp?) should have gone head to head when they had the chance right? Just get real.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 3:19 am Reply with quote
I think everybody should bear in mind that Outlaw Star was not very original to begin with.

That and aside from the girl-in-box thing I didn't see any other similarites to OS. Then again, this is a rather insular fandom who watches only the bestest things ever and everybody else is trying to blatantly copy what we love. So, um, yeah.

Carry on.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Jlbkwrm
Old Regular

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 4:12 am Reply with quote
LordByronius wrote:

I think everybody should bear in mind that Outlaw Star was not very original to begin with.

That and aside from the girl-in-box thing I didn't see any other similarites to OS. Then again, this is a rather insular fandom who watches only the bestest things ever and everybody else is trying to blatantly copy what we love. So, um, yeah.

Carry on.

Lessee...

Girl in a Box = Outlaw Star
Misfit Crew = Nadesico
Outer Space = Gundam
Psychic Powers = Mew in the first Pokemon Movie
Firefly in the title = Grave of the Fireflies.

I'm sure the list goes on and on. I think we should all storm Fox headquarters and demand they burn the masters, scripts, and all sets of Firefly immediately.

(Please note, I am kidding. I do not advocate any stormings or burnings. It's way too early to call this show a rip-off of anything.)
BrundelFly

PostPosted: Sat Sep 14, 2002 1:46 pm Reply with quote
While I don't think FireFly will be a straight up rip-off of Outlaw Star, it still does raise an interesting point. With anime becoming as prevelant in America as it is, sooner or later we're going to start seeing "oddly surprising" similiarities show up sooner or later. This happens in all forms of media though, be it art, music, animation, live action, any form of media at all.

If we wanted to get down to it, the most well known anime in America is essentially a rip-off. Dragonball was designed originally around the Chinese legend of "Journey to the West". What I find more interesting is the way FireFly's previews are designed. They literally say something like "Rogue space guy finds girl in box". Wether or not the series is a rip-off of Outlaw Star will always be debated, but I don't think there's any questioning the fact that the previews have been designed to try to appeal to anime fans.

Later, BrundelFly
Tenchi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 16, 2002 9:55 pm Reply with quote
Ah, now I've finally found a screencap from Firefly and the scene in Outlaw Star it's allegedly similar to, and... they're not that similar:
http://www.cardcaptors-uncensored.com/firefly.jpg
http://www.cardcaptors-uncensored.com/melfina03.jpg
They're both in fetal positions, but the fetal position is the most natural resting position for humans and is hardly original to Outlaw Star. Melfina's in a suitcase, while River's in the sci-fi cliché "stasis pod". Otherwise, the camera angles are completely different. The more I find out, the more completely blown out-of-proportion the "similarities" seem.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Tue Sep 17, 2002 12:55 pm Reply with quote
it starts this friday. then we shall see.
MattOverYou

PostPosted: Wed Sep 18, 2002 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Everything is a rip off in a way these days, And this is more original than most. I mean my god star trek and star wars would be closer to firefly than Outlaw Star likely.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3