• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Firefly an Outlaw Star Ripoff?

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:31 am Reply with quote
I don't know about Star Wars or Star Trek, but the whole outlaw/space thing may have more to do with Outlaw Star, Cowboy Bebop and the live-action Farscape.
Well, like JETBLACK said, we'll all find out tomarrow, I may record it and give it a chance.
By the way did anyone catch Fastlane? Was it really lame?
TheAngstyKiller

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 8:39 am Reply with quote
Fastlane would've been better if they didn't have the characters as undercover cops. Doing so adds a degree of lameness to the characters and overall plot, but then again, there's no reason to watch it for the story. Stunts and explosions are what really accent the show.
Saxton

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 11:29 am Reply with quote
Fox’s Firefly,

I just got back from the store. Picked up a paper, some doughnuts for breakfast, and a shiny new VHS blank. I got home and carefully labeled it “Firefly tape #1”.

Is Firefly a rip off? Maybe it is…so what? Most everything produced today rips something else off in one way or another. Face it…these days anime is even ripping off other things (sometimes even other anime). Originality is something of an endangered species when it comes to visual entertainment.

I find it funny how everyone and their dog/cat will watch a pilot show and decide on the strength of that (and possibly an additional two or three episodes) if they will bother watching it. What show has EVER been as good in its first season as it is later on? Star Trek next gen was about the single worst piece of garbage I had ever wasted my time watching for two entire seasons. Then…WOW season three was just magic. So were several seasons after that.

If you want to talk about movies I would say that the first one in a series is almost ALWAYS the best…but on a television series? No way! The X-Files wasn’t as good season one as it was later on (though I didn’t like show after Mulder left).

Anyway…I’m sick to death of watching pristine visions of the future and phasers set to stun. I’m ready to see something more like what the human race will probably end up with, and guns with only one setting…BANG!

I hope this show makes a big name for itself, but it will probably be shunned by a large portion of the sci-fi community simply because it doesn’t involve aliens with huge latex head pieces, and there isn’t the occasional “warp core breach”. Sadly another great space drama (at least it was great in my mind) got the cold shoulder too…Space Above and Beyond.

Firefly’s pilot being only one hour tells me that they don’t intend to do much in the way of explaining things right off that bat, and will probably just drop all of us in the middle of things. Fine with me…figuring out things as we go is part of the fun. Besides…I’ll just be happy if the eventual end to Firefly isn’t as rushed as Outlaw Star. Outlaw Star just seemed to take it’s sweet time doing nothing until…OH NO…it’s the last two episodes we’ve got to wrap it up folks!

Message Ends,

Saxton
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Thu Sep 19, 2002 12:04 pm Reply with quote
Saxton,
Space ABove and Beyond was awesome, thanks for mentioning that! I was a little ticketed they took it off.
I'm with you on the whole "alien latex head" thing. Just show Humans in space, colonizing, by themselves.
Lowen Na

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 9:59 am Reply with quote
Everyone knows that aliens look just like humans, but have an extra organ on their forhead, and all of them have the same personality, ie: all of race A is money grubing, all of B is war like, all of C is super inteligent, etc...

Only Humans are allowed to vary in personallity.

Lets face it, Star Trek sucks, and the more I watch it, the more I wonder why I ever liked it.
JETBLACK87

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 11:22 am Reply with quote
okay I watched it and liked it. I'm not good at reviews so I won't give one.

I haven't seen all of OS and didn't really like it but one thing I noticed that was like bebop but not a ripoff was no aliens wich I like.
Laughing Hyena

PostPosted: Sat Sep 21, 2002 7:18 pm Reply with quote
I saw it, I liked it. It's not a rip-off, folks. This is the great Laughing Hyena of Outlaw Star fandom and a member of the small Takehiko Ito fanbase talking.

Tenchi, if you were hearing about Lensman and Captain Future: This is what Takehiko Ito admitted on his English sister website when we asked him about Future-Retro Hero Story. He said that E. E. Smith's books influenced the Toward Stars Era. Way before he even said this, a Lensman fan talked to a Outlaw Star fan about E. E. Smith on a anime Newsgroup. I also bought one of the books, and now consider myself a Lensman fan. Captain Future is not one of E. E. Smith's works, this series is by Edmond Hamilton. In fact FRHS closely parodies it. If anybody knows where I can find old used books of Captain Future, I'll be very happy.

If you read any of them, it might give you clues on what is going to happen later in Outlaw Star.

Darn, what does it take for Right Stuf to finally come out with Takehiko Ito's and Satoru Akahori's KO Century Beast?! I'm still waiting for it! .......

Need to buy another blank tape to record Firefly. Whee!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
SuperSkylineGTR

PostPosted: Mon Sep 23, 2002 10:12 am Reply with quote
Once again, I am retracting previous statements... This is a rather annoying trend, AHEM, anyway... I watched Firefly, and I have to say I liked it.
Well the only thing I did not like was the girl in the box, she was annoying (See, it's not an outlaw star rip off... Melfina wasn't that annoying)
Well, I guess taht closes this debate... never believe the previews...
Just look at Ballistic Ecks Vs. Sever and XXX, looked cool, but in reality sucked
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3