• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
R4 "Boys Over Flowers"?

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:57 am Reply with quote
Can anyone tell me whether there was every a R4 release of Boys Over Flowers? I can't find mention of one anywhere, but I thought one never knows. Wink
My wife and I would like to get a copy (of at least the first few discs) for a friend back home in Australia, and are wondering if looking for a R4 release is something that should be on our list of avenues to try...
(We have our own R1 set.)

Spanks.
madmangohan

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:36 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately there hasn't been yet.

Most DVD players sold in Australia are region free or can be unlocked with codes, so there's a good chance they could play your R1 copy already.
ailblentyn

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 1:21 pm Reply with quote
Thanks for the information!
It probably is fairly safe to assume that our friend can play R1 discs, like most of my friends and family in Australia. (I've always fond it so strange in America the way region-free players have been so rare.)
I was hoping to broaden the range of solutions to the task of acquiring this gift --- and the possibilities of finding a bargain somewhere! --- but I'll just keep looking in the obvious places for R1 stuff.

And no; there's no way I'm giving up my own set, however dear a friend this friend is!!!
madmangohan

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 6:13 am Reply with quote
ailblentyn wrote:
I've always fond it so strange in America the way region-free players have been so rare.!

Well the DVD Copy Control Association who set the manufacturer rules is based in California Wink

We're a little lucky here in that our Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) came out and said that DVD region locking may break our trading laws. Thus many companies just shipped them region free here or made codes readily available instead of risking the law.
Though the same can't be said for Blu-ray's right now, although I have heard of a few models slipping through.
Olyvia Saylor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2014 2:48 am Reply with quote
This is also my favorite and just like you, I have difficulty to get my copy as well. Can you please be so kind to give me a shout out once you get yours? I would want to have it as well. Thanks in advance.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2014 1:13 pm Reply with quote
Region coding isn't such a big issue in America generally anyway - in the larger world of disc-based media, most anything that anyone wants to watch (i.e. Hollywood movies and US TV) is out in there before anywhere else anyway.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1