• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Lucky Star Festival at Washinomiya Shrine.

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:37 am Reply with quote
Complete with a Lucky Star mikoshi. Oy.

http://www.japanprobe.com/?p=6114
BrentNewhall

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:24 pm Reply with quote
Y'know, I think it's really refreshing that the folks at the shrine saw this surge in popularity, and rolled with it. Nothing wrong with acknowledging the popularity of an anime series, and doing things to accommodate (and cater to) its fans, even for a shrine.

It's nice that they've metaphorically shrugged, said "Hey, these are customers, too," and reacted appropriately.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
fighterholic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:24 pm Reply with quote
According to legend, the shrine was founded by Amenohohi, a descendant of Amaterasu the Sun Goddess. One of the oldest shrines in the Kanto region, and was even visited by Tokugawa Ieyasu.
Furudanuki

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:26 pm Reply with quote
I remember reading articles about how some of the locals weren't especially pleased when the Lucky Star fans first started showing up at the shrine en masse. But things like this:
Quote:
Local shops have seen 150% increase in business, possibly because some restaurants are cashing in by naming dishes after Lucky Star characters.
seem to have made them become a lot more accepting of their odd visitors. Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Anime All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1