• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Report: Detroit Metal City Gets Hollywood Remake Offers

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SeinenAi

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 3:41 pm Reply with quote
fighterholic wrote:

Technically you could have all that if the movie was rated R.

Even if you can have that with the movie rated R, if many groups speak out against it, boycott etc. which hurts the movie's bottom line, thus they will make it as PC as possible so they can make as much money as possible. Mad
Nermal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:19 am Reply with quote
Ahhh I can see it now: Quentin Tarantino presents Detroit Metal City, starring DJ Qualls, Orlando Bloom, and Jonah Hill.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 2:03 am Reply with quote
SeinenAi wrote:
fighterholic wrote:

Technically you could have all that if the movie was rated R.

Even if you can have that with the movie rated R, if many groups speak out against it, boycott etc. which hurts the movie's bottom line, thus they will make it as PC as possible so they can make as much money as possible. Mad

I don't think a protest would hurt. Usually the people who participate in these boycotts would never go to see this movie anyway and it's not going to stop people like me from going to see it. I'm used to dealing with these kind people. They're the same ones who protest outside of rock concerts.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 8:09 am Reply with quote
But a movie theater plays usually 5 other movies besides this one and a protest would hurt their bottom line as movie goers don't like to walk thru a picket line to have some fun. Malls don't like to have controversy either. It would be easier for the theater/theater chain not to schedule it.
slickwataris

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:03 am Reply with quote
v1cious wrote:

i love that it's getting so much attention. six months ago, no one even knew what this manga was. i get to be one of those elitist jerks that says they were reading the manga before it was cool.

I am proud it be one of those elitist jerks, too. Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:46 am Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
But a movie theater plays usually 5 other movies besides this one and a protest would hurt their bottom line as movie goers don't like to walk thru a picket line to have some fun. Malls don't like to have controversy either. It would be easier for the theater/theater chain not to schedule it.

It didn't stop me from seeing Wayne's World when people were picketing Basic Instinct.
I've only seen 2 episodes of DMC and nobody has been raped. They just sing about rape and murder so I don't think it will be that big a deal.
SeinenAi

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 1:58 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:

Exactly. Sure some of us would like to watch the movie in it's original form, but a lot of people will not watch it for this reason. And even if they don't mind the picketers and see the movie anyways, the mall/theater won't want to take the chance.
samuraiwalt

PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 9:18 pm Reply with quote
SeinenAi wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

Exactly. Sure some of us would like to watch the movie in it's original form, but a lot of people will not watch it for this reason. And even if they don't mind the picketers and see the movie anyways, the mall/theater won't want to take the chance.

When was the last time you saw picketers at a movie theater?
Have you seen DMC? From what I've seen there's nothing that objectionable in DMC to warrant a protest. Even if there was a protest it would generate more publicity for the movie. Isn't there a saying "There's no such thing as bad publicity"
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2