• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Fairy Tail GN 2

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
minakichan

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:02 am Reply with quote
=/ Fairy Tail certainly doesn't break new ground or anything. I do have to admit that I like it quite a bit better than anything Weekly Shounen Jump is churning out these days because the characters are actually somewhat distinct and it doesn't take itself too seriously without going bonkers (and no long training arcs or 2+chapter battles). This from someone who has pretty much sworn off all shounen titles for life.
portgas

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:06 am Reply with quote
Reviewers have latched onto the One Piece thing and are just running with it. As a longtime reader of Rave Master, I see it and then I don't see it. Mashima's style has always been close to Oda's as far as I can see, but I guess one has to say something.

Texas horse thief! How's this different from other horse thieves?
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:39 am Reply with quote
Whatever, I'm enjoying Fairy Tail. The characters are humorous, and the fights are fun to watch. Also, I agree, the Oda comparisons are getting old.

"Watching the story hang limp and lifeless as Mashima tries to bludgeon emotion from the conclusion to the Everlue story will appeal only to sadists and masochists, both of whom probably have better ways of getting their sick kick"

Stereotyping like that was DEFINITELY uncalled for. Attack the work, not the fans.
joshuafer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:36 am Reply with quote
I enjoy reading this manga, but have never read one piece. Perhaps the two are similar. I do not feel Natsu is that one dimensional, I liked the scene where he went looking for that little kids Wizard father, and broke the bulletin board. I do not want him running around hugging bunnies and talking about his feelings all the time, he seems to care about people ( just enough, anyways ) and kick ass, that's pretty much all I want. Fights between super powered people is one reason I enjoy anime and manga, which is why I will probably check out the One Piece manga eventually. I am collecting the Funi DVD release, btw. Aimless is cool, too, IMO, main characters do not always need to be struggling against some big bad organization or brooding villain in a big chair, wearing armor 2 sizes to large for him. I thought the end of the everlue story arch was decent, and am not a sadist or masochist...I think...lol.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:24 am Reply with quote
Unfortunately, the first three volumes of the manga are more about introducing characters and showing off their abilities than actual story progression. Volume four of the manga will finally start to delve into one of the character's pasts which will hopefully turn around the opinions of the reviewer.

That said, I still enjoy Fairy Tail. These early volumes have been more than a breath of fresh air when I go back to them compared to the current manga arc of the story that just completed in Japan...which was less than stellar and ridden with horrible cliches.

Fairy Tail, despite its flaws, must still be holding up strongly in Japan if it is getting big promos in Weekly Shounen Magazine and the fact that it just surpassed its 100th chapter.
neuroticgothguy

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 12:54 pm Reply with quote
i tried One Piece and hated it, absolute hated it, the characters just annoyed the crap outa me. I love Fairy Tail on the other had and believe it to be far superior to One Piece.
Onsokumaru

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 3:45 pm Reply with quote
neuroticgothguy wrote:
i tried One Piece and hated it, absolute hated it, the characters just annoyed the crap outa me. I love Fairy Tail on the other had and believe it to be far superior to One Piece.

This
ZODDGUTS

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 6:35 pm Reply with quote
This series is does seem a bit like One Piece especially the last arc which was somewhat similar to Robin's arc except that Erza's arc in Fairy Tail sucked ass.
abynormal

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 8:21 pm Reply with quote
Fairy Tale comes off as more polished than One Piece to me. Less in terms of artwork but more in terms of composition and timing. Whenever I read OP, it's filled with panels where one character says something important, and then five other characters react with one-liners that clutter the panel and make the conversation hard to read. In other words, there's too much going on in the background.

FT's panel-to-panel flow feels smoother to me because the artist restrains himself and keeps the panels clean of clutter for the most part, focusing on the main characters in the conversation. Maybe it doesn't do anything new, but at least it's more enjoyable to read.
hiroyvalesti

PostPosted: Sun Sep 07, 2008 10:37 pm Reply with quote
^Well that's pretty much character development(whether it's main or fodder). It adds emotion and buildup towards later events. Dead reactions from chracters is just lazy writing. It's alot better than leaving certain chracter in the sidelines. Fairy Tail is fortunate though. It does not need writing like One Piece does since there isn't much life in the background. Not really a bad thing. Hiro just lacks weight in individual story arcs.

As for the review, these One Piece comparisons need to chilax. I see absolutely no resembles. Sure Hiro may borrow ideas here and there. but there's certianly isn't much resemblance. Plot and chracter development may be lacking, it it's still a fresh and exiting series.
Son-kun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:41 am Reply with quote
Agreed. There's just so much material to write about in the world of One Piece so I can understand a lot of the dialogue within 20 pages per week. There's so much material that Oda puts out there, some of which he hasn't even fully explored, I get worried that the series might not even end sometimes Laughing
Son-kun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:41 am Reply with quote
Agreed. There's just so much material to write about in the world of One Piece so I can understand a lot of the dialogue within 20 pages per week. There's so much material that Oda puts out there, some of which he hasn't even fully explored, I get worried that the series might not even end sometimes Laughing
Son-kun

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 7:42 am Reply with quote
hiroyvalesti

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 11:15 am Reply with quote
I'm not too worried Anime hyper Unlike Hiro, Oda already has a conclusion in plan and he intends on never changing it. Close readers can tell since so many things connect like a huge pre-planned puzzle.

Not saying anything is wrong with Fairy Tail going on aimlessly.
Onsokumaru

PostPosted: Mon Sep 08, 2008 10:21 pm Reply with quote
hiroyvalesti wrote:
Not saying anything is wrong with Fairy Tail going on aimlessly.

You trying to start a fight?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2