Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Blue Dragon Dub.DVD 1


Goto page 1, 2  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
Voice of Reason



Joined: 15 Jul 2008
Posts: 5
Location: Canada
PostPosted: Tue Sep 09, 2008 11:53 pm Reply with quote
Awesome funny review! Very Happy

I haven't seen Blue Dragon even though it's showing for free on YTV. Now I'll be sure to stay the hell away!
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Kyogissun



Joined: 17 Aug 2007
Posts: 676
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 1:01 am Reply with quote
Akira Toriyama is a great artist but...

If you much watch or witness something he created, either pop in a copy of Dragon Quest VIII or watch DBZ. Both will have some level of quality to them and at least with DBZ, you can jump around episodes, without fearing that you miss something important.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
GATSU



Joined: 03 Jan 2002
Posts: 14410
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:13 am Reply with quote
Yuji Horii created DQ. Toriyama just does the art work.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address
JohnBeton



Joined: 10 Sep 2008
Posts: 1
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:09 am Reply with quote
When I started reading this review I knew it would not get an A+, but a D- is pretty harsh. I watched a couple of episodes from the first disc over the last few days and I really enjoyed it. If I had to rank it compared to al the anime I've watched up until now, there would be way more anime below than above this series, way more. Yes, it's a kid's series, but imo it's time and money well spend as this series actually entertained me (but maybe that's because there's still a kid in me ^^'). Anyway I recommend checking out at least a couple of episodes (especially if they're showing them for free on TV) and see if you like it. Reviews are not always accurate as the only person that can decide for you if a series is good or not is well... you.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
BellosTheMighty



Joined: 27 Nov 2007
Posts: 767
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:30 am Reply with quote
I'm not gonna be the dork fanboy/viral marketer who goes on a tear because some critic gave a liked show a harsh review, but I think the point was missed here. He harps on how the show lacks originality, and it does, but face facts here people- the only anime nowadays that are halfway original land on DVD after doing the art-house circuit or play on Adult Swim to be held up as evidence that Williams Street wants to scuttle the block. When the shows that people over in the anime forum make threads dozens of pages long about are drowning in shonen cliches, such complaints start to lack credibility. I had fun with Blue Dragon precisely because it was a good old-fashioned fantasy story, with no pretensions to being anything else.

And by the way, I don't think "disingenuous" means what you think it means...
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
jr240483



Joined: 24 Dec 2005
Posts: 4013
Location: New York City,New York,USA
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 9:39 am Reply with quote
JohnBeton wrote:
When I started reading this review I knew it would not get an A+, but a D- is pretty harsh. I watched a couple of episodes from the first disc over the last few days and I really enjoyed it. If I had to rank it compared to al the anime I've watched up until now, there would be way more anime below than above this series, way more. Yes, it's a kid's series, but imo it's time and money well spend as this series actually entertained me (but maybe that's because there's still a kid in me ^^'). Anyway I recommend checking out at least a couple of episodes (especially if they're showing them for free on TV) and see if you like it. Reviews are not always accurate as the only person that can decide for you if a series is good or not is well... you.
Well said.This review is crap to me. Sure it aint good but it aint bad as well. I give it a B-.it's preety good.Sure it aint as good as the dub versions of zatch bell which everyone praises Viz for,BUT a D- is way too harsh cause this is at least it's better than the 4kids versions of one piece. though the may change their minds on the review if they released the original versions of the series though.

[EDIT: Bolding is meaningless if it's applied to an entire post. It's meant to emphasize single words or phrases.~Zalis]
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
KabaKabaFruit



Joined: 20 Sep 2007
Posts: 1580
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:10 am Reply with quote
I'm not gonna bother with the DVD nor the inevitable airing of this show on YTV because you know what? I'm fed up. I'm fed up with seeing Toriyama's offbeat sense of humour and art style being put through the ringer for the umpteenth time because of the fear of offense.

For crying out loud! The show was licensed after two episodes had run in Japan before the Toriyama fanbase could really get into it. The XBOX 360 game retains Uematsu's rich musical score and I believe the Japanese voices as well.

So if Viz is trying to get fans who played the XBOX game to get into this series, they're barking up the wrong tree.

I hate to say this but if Viz thinks this dub, edit only crap is going to work in this day and age, they're out of touch. I think they really should consider appealing to the Toriyama fanbase if they want a title like Blue Dragon to have some moderate success here.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
animepuppy



Joined: 23 Dec 2006
Posts: 33
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote
i actuly i like this show i dont know why u think it sucks but hey ur the reviewer Smile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Yahoo Messenger
BellosTheMighty



Joined: 27 Nov 2007
Posts: 767
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 2:57 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
I'm not gonna bother with the DVD nor the inevitable airing of this show on YTV because you know what? I'm fed up. I'm fed up with seeing Toriyama's offbeat sense of humour and art style being put through the ringer for the umpteenth time because of the fear of offense.

For crying out loud! The show was licensed after two episodes had run in Japan before the Toriyama fanbase could really get into it. The XBOX 360 game retains Uematsu's rich musical score and I believe the Japanese voices as well.

So if Viz is trying to get fans who played the XBOX game to get into this series, they're barking up the wrong tree.

I hate to say this but if Viz thinks this dub, edit only crap is going to work in this day and age, they're out of touch. I think they really should consider appealing to the Toriyama fanbase if they want a title like Blue Dragon to have some moderate success here.


Holy Crap, I got the most wicked sense of Deja Vu reading that. Dude, did you copy and paste from somewhere else?

I'm not joking, seriously, as soon as I read that I had a very clear sense of having read it somewhere else. What happened? Am I some kind of forgetful percognitive? That's a rather useless kind of precognition, isn't it?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
KabaKabaFruit



Joined: 20 Sep 2007
Posts: 1580
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:52 pm Reply with quote
Okay, you got me. I copied and pasted it from a random poster at Daizenshuu EX. Twisted Evil

EDIT: Just kidding. That is my opinion.


Last edited by KabaKabaFruit on Thu Sep 11, 2008 11:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger
walw6pK4Alo



Joined: 12 Mar 2008
Posts: 9295
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 3:55 pm Reply with quote
No japanese language track?

How about: F Minus, see me after class.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
belvadeer



Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Posts: 4678
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 7:57 pm Reply with quote
I think this anime is for those of us who played the game. Or those who like a big dragon with a bad attitude. I can't say really.

I suppose not including the Japanese audio was a gyp in and of itself, but really we're not missing much in Japanese. Trust me, I know, I've heard it. Just switch Shu's Yuri Lowenthal voice out for a girl-doing-boy voice and that's basically all you're getting.

Oh and panties, you get Kluke's panties, and Marumaro touching boobies. Let it be said Toriyama never forgets his love of undergarments, perversion and toilet humor. Pffffft. Anime hyper

Odd though, you say the dub is well cast, yet it gets a D-? Oookay, sounds like you're just cranky, reviewer.


Last edited by belvadeer on Mon Sep 27, 2010 3:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Top Gun



Joined: 28 Sep 2007
Posts: 3301
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:00 pm Reply with quote
I have to say, I think the fact that Toriyama designed the characters is more of a turn-off to me than anything the show could possibly do (not that I'd expect much from this sort of show anyway), though I often feel like the only person on a planet who strongly dislikes his character designs (at least for humans). Seriously...foreheads are NOT that big. Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Dorcas_Aurelia



Joined: 23 Jul 2006
Posts: 5344
Location: Philly
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 10:40 pm Reply with quote
belvadeer wrote:
Odd though, you say the dub is well cast, yet it gets a D-? Oookay, sounds like you're just cranky, reviewer.

That's not the rating for the dub, it's the overall rating for the DVD.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail My Anime My Manga
belvadeer



Joined: 11 Jun 2006
Posts: 4678
PostPosted: Wed Sep 10, 2008 11:51 pm Reply with quote
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
belvadeer wrote:
Odd though, you say the dub is well cast, yet it gets a D-? Oookay, sounds like you're just cranky, reviewer.

That's not the rating for the dub, it's the overall rating for the DVD.


Yeah yeah
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

 


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group