• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Gonzo's GDH Gets Capital, Reveals Crunchyroll Investment

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ryanvamp

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:48 pm Reply with quote
sdhd wrote:
GONZO's Blassreiter and Tower of Druaga are great anime among Last Exile, Welcome to NHK, and Pumpkin Scissors. Other people may have different taste, but I like them.

You're not alone in that statement. Although I wouldn't say GREAT ANIME, blassreiter and tower of druaga were good in what they aimed for, and besides, ALL STUDIOS make bad series (Sunrise's R2 anyone?), GONZO receives more credit in that area but from time to time they do make decent stuff.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:05 pm Reply with quote
So if I read this right Gonzo is doing well with CR.
Good to see a company doing well with them, and I wish more would follow suit.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
walw6pK4Alo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:07 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

GONZO is a open-minded company with a lot of western ideals and wishes. Most anime companies are backwards and would never consider it. It's just a shame that GONZO is extremely hit or miss or their shows.
Kireek

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:13 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

Yes........and no. See I just still dont like the idea of what crunchyroll was and to some extent still is. But thats bussiness
Goodpenguin

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:22 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

There's no indication of the return on CR's strategy whatsoever in the article. More to the point it states GDH was in recent danger of being delisted from the TSE, and staved off a low-stock induced take-over from a capital funds group by cutting them in to some degree. That's not a full picture for speculation, but those situations arise from fiscal/management trouble. It mentions GDH paid 2 million to acquire an interest in CR, which is a (theoretical at this point) service provider in an area they hope to expand. That's a pretty routine forward-looking move, how it's actually paying off right now is not addressed.
houkoholic

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 2:33 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:

Actually not at all, it's mentioned they accquired CR's share in April, which is just at the same time they started the whole worldwide release thing. So as Goodpenguin pointed out it's a routine strategic investment. And this is before the de-lisiting warning too due to bad debt as well. It could actually mean that this purchase was one of the things which put GDH in bad financial shape in the first place.

Now that the TOB has gone through and the new guy in charge is taking position as the CFO and is looking to bring the company back into the black, which means that some sort of restructing is probably inevitable. It's not uncommon that one of the first thing these new guys in charge do are selling off assets in the company for some cold hard cash. Now it would be really interesting if CR's share are sold off or not, now *that* would be more telling of how well they're doing for GDH.
einhorn303

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 5:24 pm Reply with quote
Why no mention of BOST TV? I consider BOST superior to CrunchyRoll, since they're the ones who actually do the translations, their downloads are encoded better, and they're 100% legit unlike CR.

But BOST never gets any mention in the blogosphere and advertising. It's always CR, CR, CR. I'd love to see some numbers on how much BOST has made Gonzo.

Is 2 million dollars really all that much, though, in anime industry terms?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 7:24 pm Reply with quote
I thought that GONZO also has a stake in BOST TV as well. Is this true?

My, my look how far CR has come. CR's staff should be congradulated.
Richard J.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 10:47 pm Reply with quote
Zac wrote:
You realize I will kick you out of here if you keep up this obvious and deliberate trolling, right?
Just let him post enough rope to make the noose Zac. It's better for everyone if what is inevitable happens sooner rather than latter.

Personally, I don't see this news as being a wise move in the long run. There are some potential short term benefits but much like the writer's strike, I think the gains will be pyrrhic at best.

Of course, I could be wrong.
samuelp
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 9:17 am Reply with quote
Richard J. wrote:
Zac wrote:
You realize I will kick you out of here if you keep up this obvious and deliberate trolling, right?
Just let him post enough rope to make the noose Zac. It's better for everyone if what is inevitable happens sooner rather than latter.

Personally, I don't see this news as being a wise move in the long run. There are some potential short term benefits but much like the writer's strike, I think the gains will be pyrrhic at best.

Of course, I could be wrong.

From what I gather in the t-leaves, it was either this or a a hostile takeover from the company.
By doing it this way and having it at least seem somewhat mutual on the outside the company saves a lot of face and investor confidence. I think the alternative would have been a true firesale.
kashicat

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 11:21 am Reply with quote
Quote:
So as Goodpenguin pointed out it's a routine strategic investment. And this is before the de-lisiting warning too due to bad debt as well. It could actually mean that this purchase was one of the things which put GDH in bad financial shape in the first place.

Although the timing does suggest this, the Tokyo Stock Exchange's decision to give GDH a one-year grace period before delisting was based on a judgement of whether the company appeared solvent after the whole previous fiscal year, which ended March 31st. The $2 million investment in Crunchyroll was something GDH did after that, in April. It may have been an attempt, even before the TSE decision, to try to create new potential revenue, but it wasn't what the TSE based its decision on.

Or rather, since the TSE didn't do the retroactive one-year thingie till May, the Crunchyroll investment might have played some part, but the decision was still based mostly on the longer-term situation.

Quote:
It's not uncommon that one of the first thing these new guys in charge do are selling off assets in the company for some cold hard cash. Now it would be really interesting if CR's share are sold off or not, now *that* would be more telling of how well they're doing for GDH

GDH also made a recent new investment in establishing a huge gaming hub in Singapore, to serve southeast Asia. It's going to be interesting to see if some of these projects get nipped in the bud, or just how it plays out. It's interesting to me that Iwakaze Capital still thought GDH/Gonzo was a worthwhile investment. So we'll see how everything goes.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime
LordPrometheus

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:38 pm Reply with quote
sdhd wrote:
GONZO's Blassreiter and Tower of Druaga are great anime among Last Exile, Welcome to NHK, and Pumpkin Scissors. Other people may have different taste, but I like them.

I would also add Solty Rei to that list. Vastly underrated show, yet it's one of my all time favorites. I never get tired of the characters, and I absolutely love the multiple plot twists.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 2:52 pm Reply with quote
That's great, now a release of Seto No Hanayome would be nice, Gonzo.
Shiroi Hane
Encyclopedia Editor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 12, 2008 8:36 pm Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Why no mention of BOST TV? I consider BOST superior to CrunchyRoll, since they're the ones who actually do the translations, their downloads are encoded better, and they're 100% legit unlike CR.

I was going to say the same thing, but I realised I already knew the answer and so do you:
Quote:
But BOST never gets any mention in the blogosphere and advertising. It's always CR, CR, CR. I'd love to see some numbers on how much BOST has made Gonzo.

CR has a large established userbase and a bigger internet presence, which they are fond of trumpeting in every press release.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
tuongcuop

PostPosted: Sat Sep 13, 2008 2:53 am Reply with quote
According to Alexa ranking, BOST TV probably has like 30 visitors a day lol Laughing
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3