• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Adult Swim Shifts Bleach, Geass, Moribito Timeslots

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Romuska
Subscriber

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:32 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I didn't realize that Fullmetal was a new hit show. Come on CN. Moribito isn't the best series but it just started! 5:30 am?!
Zhemos88

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:33 pm Reply with quote
People are finally realizing that Adult Swim is crap? lol Razz

Just do like every other anime fan, download subtitles, buy the DvDs when they're licensed if you like the show.
boznia

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:37 pm Reply with quote
So, they finally raised the white flag, huh? I was expecting this after they stopped showing anime reruns during the week back in April (or March?). At least they had the decency to guarantee R2 before this switch, albeit I'll probably only be watching it on their website now and taping Moribito.

As a longtime viewer, it's a shame to see it happen, even when you knew it was coming.
Joe Mello

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:38 pm Reply with quote
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Apparently Adult Swim and Williams Street wants to focus more on its own home grown properties than anything that is acquired from Japan.

There's a reason for that, you know. Licensing costs money, and if something is cheaper and attracts a similar number of viewers, guess what's getting aired.

I know we've discussed this before, but I'm betting that Code Geass and Moribito weren't pulling in the demographic. I bet there were some numbers, but not from the male 18-34 (because you know how college-aged guys love CLAMP) so this switch has been made in order to get the advertisers to continue to pay for ad space.

In this era of bandwagon television, originality isn't welcome, because networks and advertisers want sure things. FMA and Tim & Eric have been sure enough bets in the past, so there's no reason not to go back to them. After all, why make a clone of Tim & Eric when you HAVE Tim & Eric.

(Never liked Code Geass, anyway)
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:39 pm Reply with quote
Zhemos88 wrote:

Just do like every other anime fan, download subtitles, buy the DvDs when they're licensed if you like the show.

Or you could always download off X-Box Live, iTunes, or other sanctioned download services. Your choice.

I've watched [AS] for five years now, and up until '06, they actually KNEW how to handle anime. They promoted their shows the way you're supposed to. Now they're hell-bent on sabotaging anime and pushing the fans away due to their sheer incompetence and ineptitude. Why, [AS]? Why must they piss us off? This will NOT go unpunished!

Now excuse me while I go throw up my Ramune.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:44 pm Reply with quote
Haha. Banished! Twisted Evil

So, in exchange for anime headlining Saturday again, they banished the rest of it to the dreaded early morning hour.

They obviously didn't expect much from Moribito from the beginning anyways, so that was either they tried and failed or a contractual obligation for them to air it in the first place.

It's obviously contractual obligation that keeps Code Geass airing at 5am. If it was doing so badly for them, they would've dropped it altogether by now after sampling so many eps already. I guess this means Code Geass isn't/won't be taking off in America as much as it has captured Japan. Confused

penguintruth wrote:

Remember when Mike Lazzo put the stop to any further seasons of Big O?

It was the Japanese who couldn't provide funds enough for a 2nd season, so Adult Swim had to step in with some fund themselves. (Big O wasn't successful enough in Japan for the Japanese sponsors to produce a 2nd season). After that, AS didn't have enough money to go further.

penguintruth wrote:

Remember the stupid April Fool's Day pranks that often ruined first-run episodes? They have no respect for anime fans.

Although that one time they did fudge around their next week's schedule to re-air an anime episode when the wrong episode aired the previous week.

Last edited by enurtsol on Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:04 pm; edited 2 times in total
tobiasender

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:46 pm Reply with quote
What is this madness.

I ACTUALLY WATCHED CODE GEASS

I mean...I have seen it already and I still watch it...that's so...wrong.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Zhemos88 wrote:

Adult Swim is (well, has been) the best outlet for anime on American TV over the last 5 years or so (after they relaxed their editing standards).

Minimal if nonexistent content editing, fewer commercial breaks inserted into shows than even most Japanese networks do, quality shows (with some exceptions, such as any show they've ever aired with "Blood" in the title, for instance) on a high profile network, and so on and so forth.

Cartoon Network in general is in the process of weeding out anime, though. CN itself is basically devoid of anime not called Naruto these days, and [as] is cutting back to only the barest of essentials, half of which are probably only for the purpose of honoring pre-existing contracts (Geass and Moribito). I hate to join the doomsayers, but it seems pretty obvious that the days of an Adult Swim anime block are pretty well numbered.

It's pretty damn sad that our only real mass market alternative on TV is Sci Fi, since they really do treat their anime like utter garbage (of course, a lot of the anime they air IS pure garbage, especially those delightfully hilarious one shot OVAs they're wont to run from time to time Very Happy). But at least they air it at decent hours...

The only thing that might be promising is that [as] is having a lot of website problems right now. Apparently someone broke a lot of stuff on the site, so maybe (and it's a real big stretch) someone went into the schedule database to screw around with things. That's...really grasping at straws, though.

Last edited by MetatronM on Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:51 pm Reply with quote
Joe Mello wrote:
KabaKabaFruit wrote:
Apparently Adult Swim and Williams Street wants to focus more on its own home grown properties than anything that is acquired from Japan.

There's a reason for that, you know. Licensing costs money, and if something is cheaper and attracts a similar number of viewers, guess what's getting aired.

Licensing anime isn't really costing AS that much, or at all (the anime companies need AS more than AS needs the anime companies). They may even get a cut of the DVD sales.

It's the merchandising rights. AS doesn't own the merchandising rights to the anime, but they own everything on their own shows, so there's more money coming from merchandise.
gynocrat_rex

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:52 pm Reply with quote
I wonder if this has anything to do with FUNi getting ready to ramp up make their "channel" available to a wider viewing area?

Just a thought.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
MagusGuardian

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:55 pm Reply with quote
ok this last act of asshattery has done it fudge adultswim I'm sticking to buying the DVDs for bleach and geass since I'm not big on morbito, but seriously fudge adult swim and may everyones hopes of the licensing companies take it to other stations and tell AS to fudge off
prime_pm

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:55 pm Reply with quote
Where the hell has that channel been? All I hear is Funi channel this and Funi channel that. I'm stuck with comcast, so I can't find a single damn Funimation channel anywhere. Even onDemand! Comcast sucks.
MetatronM

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 12:59 pm Reply with quote
prime_pm wrote:
Where the hell has that channel been? All I hear is Funi channel this and Funi channel that. I'm stuck with comcast, so I can't find a single damn Funimation channel anywhere. Even onDemand! Comcast sucks.

I just got the Funi channel this week, actually (yay for FIOS installation).

It's...not that great, really. They show a lot of crap (not counting Mushishi and Beck), they seem to add additional commercial breaks into shows, and their logo in the bottom right is friggin' GIGANTIC. At least it's somewhat translucent. Very Happy
HQuest

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:03 pm Reply with quote
Tossing out my 2 cents, here.

The shonen shows seem to be the only anime to really pull an audience on AS, and my guess is that they moved Bleach to 11 in hopes to catch the younger demographic that probably watches it, tailing off the toonami block (if they even have that, still).

As for Code Geass and Moribito, I would imagine that they're doing pretty awful ratings wise, since anime has always done far, far worse than the rest of the AS comedy shows.

I think one reason for this is the serial nature of the shows, along with the fact that they're on saturday night. I completely gave up on AS's anime block after Paranoia Agent, because I just couldn't be at home to watch every episode every week. This doesn't necessarily hurt shonen series, because all the kiddies are more or less trapped at home every weekend.

Another factor is the result of the big anime market boom from a few years ago that has already severely damaged the industry. The distributors, and to a lesser extent the networks, fail to see that what's successful with the hardcore fansub-viewing audience rarely transfers over to the mainstream. After SEED failed in the states, Bandai Japan announced they were going to assemble a panel to discuss western tastes before they tried to relaunch the franchise in the US. I haven't seen 00 yet, and I don't know if it's the result, but from what I've seen of the art, and heard of the story, it seems to be much closer to Western tastes than SEED ever was.

With a few exceptions (FMA, Tenchi), the anime that has been popular in the states wasn't very popular in Japan, and this is a trend that goes back to the early 90s when the R1 distributors were just starting, licensing cheaper titles that hadn't succeeded in Japan. Weren't Outlaw Star and Cowboy Bebop more successful in the states than they were initially in Japan? Big O definitely was, but when it was revived here in the states, that second season didn't do so well ratings wise.

I think they should bring back a weekday action block of some sort in order to make the series more easy to follow along, and then screen their licenses a little more. It just seems pretty obvious that Code Geass wouldn't catch the AS audience...
Prodigiosus

PostPosted: Thu Sep 11, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
I hate it when they do this! It confuses the hell out of my DVR box! I just checked the schedule on my TV for Saturday night- Sunday morning, and everything in the channel guide is stil listed as normal (Shin Chan, Bleach, Code Geass, Moribito) so as far as the channel guide, the old schedule remains which means that my DVR is going to end up recording Tim and Eric and Aqua Teen or something. If they are going to switch the schedule around, can they at least inform the cable company so they can fix the channel guide and I can actually record the RIGHT shows. This is mindnumbingly frustrating.

And if they are going to get rid of anime, they should just do it. Unless they do all this switching to confuse viewers, lower the ratings because viewers can't find the shows, and thus justify the elimination of anime from the scehdule. (Eh, who am I kidding. They don't think that far ahead.)

I don't get the Funi channel, but I watch anime on IFC. It's commercial free and completely unedited. Right now they're showing Samurai 7 and Gunslinger Girl. Before they were showing Speed Grapher and Witchblade. They only run two anime at a time (Thursday's at 11 Est/Pac) but it's nice to watch it unfiltered, so if anyone has that channel and wants to watch those anime, they've got it. Also, the sundance channel and one of the showtime channels runs anime as well.

And why FMA again? I like the show and all but....it's been out for a while now. And do they even remember where they cut the series off?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 3 of 19