• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: U.S. Senate Committee Approves New Net Copyright Bill

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 5:08 pm Reply with quote
Alright, this is the first and last warning. For some reason this particular fansub debate is getting quite a bit more heated and vicious a lot sooner than they normally do. Whether this is because of a few new faces, or just people losing their patience on this topic, is hard to say. Accusations, attacks and insults definitely need to stop, the sheer nature of this discussion puts this thread on thin ice as it is, we don't need people taking personal jabs at each other or going even beyond that just because of an ideological disagreement.

To make a long story short; if it continues then this thread is done, so keep it civil. That kind of behavior ruins it for those who want to have a legit discussion on the topic like the past few posts above this one.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Kabuto Tokugawa

PostPosted: Sun Sep 14, 2008 9:17 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Alright, this is the first and last warning. For some reason this particular fansub debate is getting quite a bit more heated and vicious a lot sooner than they normally do. Whether this is because of a few new faces, or just people losing their patience on this topic, is hard to say. Accusations, attacks and insults definitely need to stop, the sheer nature of this discussion puts this thread on thin ice as it is, we don't need people taking personal jabs at each other or going even beyond that just because of an ideological disagreement.

To make a long story short; if it continues then this thread is done, so keep it civil. That kind of behavior ruins it for those who want to have a legit discussion on the topic like the past few posts above this one.

BEWARE THE WRATH OF MOD!!

Very Happy
________

<back>

This new bill, if it becomes law, will most likely end up being enforced like the Elcomsoft case, only this time I think the Feds might actually get their way.

Just my opinion. Smile

KT
cyberbeing

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:17 pm Reply with quote
Bush administration opposes RIAA-based copyright bill
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13578_3-10050080-38.html

Looks like there is now a good chance the Enforcement of Intellectual Property Rights Act bill is either going die or get a veto.
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 9:05 pm Reply with quote
Wow I'm liking the Bush Administration today. Glad to see them do something right.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 10:34 pm Reply with quote
Xanas wrote:
--------------------- kind of off topic, but fun to think about ----------------------
On that general topic though, I had a weird idea pop into my head that I don't know is workable. If I were to make a constitution, wouldn't a neat idea be to have a branch of government devoted to auditing? (I'd keep the 3 other branches too). This branch would question expenses, and would ensure that previous laws were followed in terms of taxation for specific purposes. Social security dollars, for example, couldn't be used for anything else. I'd probably make the group about the same size as the supreme court, but it'd mainly be there to question the executive and legislative branches. Part of their role would also be to find ways to improve current laws and offer suggestions on cost cutting measures. I know we have the GAO now, but it's authority isn't as high as I think it should be.

My other idea is that anything requiring an increase in taxes should go up for a popular vote, but I think giving auditors more power might even be better... possibly.

If people had to vote on tax increases then no one would ever be able to raise taxes. Currently taxes are an economic boogyman that's used to stir people up. There's too much misinformation and ill sentiment for a sensible tax plan with cuts and raises planned progressively to be approved. This is why to an extent it's good to have a representative republic. It enables people to ellect (ideally) the boldest and brightest of us who should be able to see short and long term consiquences. It doesn't work out that way so much in practice but I personally believe this is only because we haven't yet found a proper system to curb certain innate desires that lead people astray.

More to the point however is one has to look at this entire issue as one of economic crisis and not of theft or copyright infringement. If you really look at the core argument, the point of copyright infringement isn't that it's morally "wrong" to violate a copyright but that copyrights exist to secure the means to progress our society into the future.

So the problem isn't so much a moral one as one of low income, which may kill an entire industry if it isn't dealt with. Heavy handed law enforcement does not directly procure money in all cases (they can't ever hope to prosecute everyone, just enough to get people to tone it down) for copyright holders at all, and copyright infringement does not directly deprive the rights holders of money either. So the question becomes more a marketing question than anything. The issue is how do you turn interest into $$$? That's a question we've been trying to answer for time immemorial. Maybe subsidies are necessary or maybe some changes in how certain business mechanics work.

However to go after the public at large will never ultimately prevail. I actually read a very good article once on the subject that broke down the history of early U.S. physical property laws concerning ownership of land and it demonstrated very well how the no government here was able to stop people from breaking the law until they listened to their desires and remade the law to work with what people wanted and not just pander to the current status quo's demands.

In the end, no civilized society can ever truly hope to stop the desires of the public at large. Sure the nazis could, as could the soviets. The difference is that in both of those cases, they tortured and killed anyone who even slightly showed any possibly conceived signs of hinting at some form of dissent. So no modern nation could ever hope to be able to take such extreme measures.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:00 pm Reply with quote
britannicamoore wrote:
Wow I'm liking the Bush Administration today. Glad to see them do something right.

Stop kidding yourself. Really. Anime hyper
Fallout2man

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:27 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Stop kidding yourself. Really. Anime hyper

As the saying goes "Even a broken clock is right twice a day."
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number My Anime My Manga
Xanas

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 7:35 am Reply with quote
Quote:

If people had to vote on tax increases then no one would ever be able to raise taxes.

I don't really think that's accurate, but I do think it would be more difficult. I don't think it's accurate because in TX sales tax/etc. can be approved for increase and the last time this occurred in my area it was the citizens who voted to increase taxes, but for specified reasons.

So I don't think it would be at all impossible to increase them, I think it would just require that the legislation requiring the increase be sold to the public as something worth doing. Social security? I think many people could see paying for that. If the roads were really bad, I think people would be willing to pay more on that. And if they wanted socialized healthcare, they could approve a tax that would give everyone healthcare.

I don't see why that wouldn't work considering that those people are currently electing representatives that they believe share their more important core values. The entire problem is that these representatives then go off and do things that don't really fit what the people who elected them were counting on. Politicians are sometimes good at talking 2 different ways and hiding their real position. It's more than a bit annoying. But they are able to get re-elected anyway because of something they did do for another group they were more honest with.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7
Page 7 of 7