• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - I, Robot

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Moonsaber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:06 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:
Meygaera wrote:
Where did you get that Alicia Melchiott figure? How much was it?

Man, honestly I can't remember, one of the popular figure sites like toylet dot net or something. I kept missing out on getting a Valkyria figure, so when I finally had a chance to preorder one, I leaped at the chance. The price was standard for the size, probably $60-70.

I concur on the nice collection, and it looks like you fabricated those shelves as well, and did a good job! I have my anime stuff in a basement room with never enough space to show it all, and have tried taking pictures but I can never get enough light on them.

Also, agreed, I am envious of that Alicia figure, I love VC. Too bad we didn't get a release of the anime, but we did get both games so far and the artbook for the original.
nhat

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:08 pm Reply with quote
Kakugo wrote:
Um... did Tatsunoko do anything for Soul Eater except for in-between animation?

My wife can't look at Casshern Sins without wanting to vomit - something about "fish eye lenses" and "scratchy characters" and "OH GOD MY SOUL!!". I still feel like she's missing out on something beautiful, but if I have to make my house a one-man Casshern Sins love in, so be it.

Love the hell out of that show.

Wait so you liked Casshern Sins or not? lol
Kicksville

TitanXL wrote:
Except he's more or less right. If someone hates RPGs, you don't assign them the task of reviewing RPGs. Clear bias and hatred is why games like Godhand gets a 3/10 at IGN even when there's nothing really objectively wrong with a game. There is such a thing as "wrong reviewer for the wrong job" Look at all the hilariously misinformed and ignorant reviews for Hyperdimension Neptunia

Video games are a different enough animal that using them for a point of comparison here probably isn't going to help.

Anyway, since it got mentioned: Soul Taker's first two episodes are really good and I can see what one would mean by "expressive" there, but everything after that is !!!ANIME!!! tripe in the worst way. Quite a let down.

I've been ignoring Darker Than Black for years for some reason (it seemed to get mixed reactions back when it was new I guess), but hey, it's on Netflix on everything - sounds like it's worth checking out after all.

Err, well, later, anyway. I'm happy I'm at a point where I've got too much anime to watch again.

Last edited by Kicksville on Tue Dec 13, 2011 3:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shenl742

TitanXL wrote:
Conan-san wrote:
TL;DR - WHY IS THIS REVIEW NOT OBJECTIVE?! Q_Q GIVE ME BACK MY OBJECTIVENESS AND NOT BIAS AND THUS A DESCRIPTION OF A SHOW RATHER THAN A REVIEW!

You are the sort of person who can and will ruin reviews.

And this comes from someone who disagrees about Erin's views on Black Jack.

Except he's more or less right. If someone hates RPGs, you don't assign them the task of reviewing RPGs. Clear bias and hatred is why games like Godhand gets a 3/10 at IGN even when there's nothing really objectively wrong with a game. There is such a thing as "wrong reviewer for the wrong job" Look at all the hilariously misinformed and ignorant reviews for Hyperdimension Neptunia

Except that Ranka guy pretty much is wrong. Erin's got a right to say to say if something she watches sucks, especially if she's given clear, concise reasons for it.

It's Ranka who's assuming that Erin's taking a dig at the show's fans and internalising it.

All the whining, name-calling, and going "You hate this one title so you're the worst person ever!!" crap doesn't exactly give me a high opinion either. This is how you DO NOT respond to a review you don't like.

And in this case (and in several others), I really think the "wrong reviewer for the wrong job" idea is BS, since Erin's covered lots of different genres and series over the course of shelf-life and hasn't really seemed to show inherant bias towards one or the other.
Maigraith

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:06 pm Reply with quote
In regards to the Casshern review, I don't really care one way or another about the show, it's been on my list of "anime to check out" for a while, but I thought the point of reviewing the same thing twice was to see if there was any added bonus to getting this one rather than the old set. But your review added nothing, it was a recap of what you had said in your previous reviews. I mean, we know you don't like the show, fine, but are there any extras in this set that weren't on the last? is the quality of the blu-ray actually worth it? Is there anything that differentiates it from the previous one?

To the person with the shelves, they look nice, and this is the first time I've seen a Me2 poster. I was disappointed by the lack of a second volume.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 4:16 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:
Watching it with a hangover probably wouldn't help!

I didn't watch Casshern Sins with a hangover. The intro was slightly fictionalized to read a little more smoothly. I didn't watch anything hung over. Besides, I've reviewed Casshern Sins twice before, which you may have missed. (There are links in the review.)

eyeresist wrote:
The reputation of France as "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" (a phrase I think was invented by Seinfeld) is kind of weird and not really based in historical fact. It was basically a result of France refusing to vote for the invasion of Iraq, which in retrospect was probably smart of them.

A couple other people have pointed this out, the France thing predates the Iraq war. My friends (and perhaps relatives?) always joked around about France surrendering when I was growing up. I'm not saying that's a historically informed thing to do, but I think it's a widely held stereotype/joke that many Americans have (or do?). Seeing as how a lot of jokes in Hetalia are based in or around WWII stereotypes, and WWII is in living memory, I don't think it's that... well... ridiculous.

eyeresist wrote:
Italy on the other hand had a reputation for surrender dating back to World War One. The standard joke was that their tanks had five gears: four for reverse, and one forward for parades. (In fact, Italian military leadership and training were so mediocre that surrender was generally the only option for the PBI.) You would know this if you knew history!

Honestly, I don't know much about history, and I've learned a thing or two from Hetalia! In my crappy public school we mostly learned about American history (and then, only through WWII!), so there's an awful lot I don't know about the history of Italy. Could you give a few examples of famous battles or wars where Italians surrendered? I'm sure Hidekaz Himaruya can just name them off the top of his head, but I sure can't... What gave them this reputation?

Conan-san wrote:
And this comes from someone who disagrees about Erin's views on Black Jack.

I love the Black Jack manga, but not the recent anime adaptation.

TitanXL wrote:
Clear bias and hatred is why games like Godhand gets a 3/10 at IGN even when there's nothing really objectively wrong with a game.

What would be "objectively" wrong with a game? Like, programming mistakes? I suppose objective problems with anime could include DVD menus not working... Wink
JohnnySake

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 5:04 pm Reply with quote
Moonsaber wrote:
I concur on the nice collection, and it looks like you fabricated those shelves as well, and did a good job! I have my anime stuff in a basement room with never enough space to show it all, and have tried taking pictures but I can never get enough light on them.

Umino wrote:
I like the room because it looks clean and stylish. There are some that I've seen IRL and on the net that are just over the top with the amount of posters but this looks purdy. Nice collection!

Maigraith wrote:
To the person with the shelves, they look nice, and this is the first time I've seen a Me2 poster. I was disappointed by the lack of a second volume.

Thank you all for the kind comments. Let me share with you my notion that Ikea is the anime collectors' friend. The plain (cheap) pine wood shelves that were put together were from there, and they're great for simple stuff like dvd's or manga. And when you run out of room, buy another shelf and taller end pieces and rebuild it! The glass display case is from Ikea too. The four sides of glass altogether makes it to be one heavy s.o.b., but it does its job well.

The Me2 poster? I bought that direct from Sho Murase at the San Diego Comic Con a few years ago. She keeps going back there, so if you're fan, you can still see her and her wares there.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:33 pm Reply with quote
eyeresist wrote:

The reputation of France as "cheese-eating surrender monkeys" (a phrase I think was invented by Seinfeld) is kind of weird and not really based in historical fact. It was basically a result of France refusing to vote for the invasion of Iraq, which in retrospect was probably smart of them.

... wait, really? Not from... WWII? You know, when they surrendered to Germany? When Germany invaded their country... again... through Belgium? No?

I'm preeeeeeeeeetty sure that's where they get the white flag stereotype from.
Shenl742

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:48 pm Reply with quote
SakechanBD wrote:
eyeresist wrote:

... wait, really? Not from... WWII? You know, when they surrendered to Germany? When Germany invaded their country... again... through Belgium? No?

I think it was actually the Belgiums who were the ones who surrendered and left France vulnerable, as the French were busy trying to defend THEIR borders from Germany. France didn't so much surrender, more like they got completely screwed over.

And the "cheese eating surrender monkeys" line is from the Simpsons.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:35 pm Reply with quote
Shenl742 wrote:
SakechanBD wrote:
eyeresist wrote:

I think it was actually the Belgiums who were the ones who surrendered and left France vulnerable, as the French were busy trying to defend THEIR borders from Germany. France didn't so much surrender, more like they got completely screwed over.

And the "cheese eating surrender monkeys" line is from the Simpsons.

1. Belgians.
2. France signed an armistice on June 17, 1940 with Germany. That counts as a surrender.
3. I know what the line is from. But that stereotype has existed long before that line was penned.
Sailor S

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:46 pm Reply with quote
JohnnySake wrote:

Thank you all for the kind comments. Let me share with you my notion that Ikea is the anime collectors' friend. The plain (cheap) pine wood shelves that were put together were from there, and they're great for simple stuff like dvd's or manga. And when you run out of room, buy another shelf and taller end pieces and rebuild it! The glass display case is from Ikea too. The four sides of glass altogether makes it to be one heavy s.o.b., but it does its job well.

I'm with ya on that. I haven't gotten around to getting proper pictures of my collection, but other than my DVD cases, which I built myself, I have a bunch of those nice detolf cases for my figures, and a bunch of Billy bookcases for my manga. I always felt a certain measure of pride and accomplishment when I put together the detolf cases too, since the instructions claim it takes two people to build em, but I did it by myself. Because I'm awesome like that. And lack of friends, ect Razz
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:53 pm Reply with quote
I liked darker than black, because it was indeed dark. Most of the characters aren't very nice to each others, but that's quite realistic and it's a nice change from most other anime (which are more pink than black most of the time). And I liked how Yin got some very subtle character development.

Megiddo wrote:
As far as I know, the purpose and existence of "The Gate" is never explained.

If I remember correctly you get some more info in the second season. Too bad the rest of the second season was so horrible it made me lose interest in the whole series altogether v.v

Quote:
The explanation for why contractors have to perform a certain action (like smoking or vomiting or whatever) is never given.

It's just the price they have to pay for using their powers. And since life is unfair, some of them have really big prices to pay while others get away with drinking a beer or singing a song. I actually really liked the randomness of this.

As for Casshern Sins. It was ok. I was really looking forward to the series, because of the style and it seemed dark and "profound", but while I liked the atmosphere (and the music) and while it is certainly dark, story-wise it never really got as profound or as complex as I would have wanted it to. In the end, it kind of felt like ... kindergarten philosophy? Fine enough, but nothing that left a lasting impression. I'd put it on "rental shelf".
Kazemon15

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:13 pm Reply with quote
Maigraith wrote:
In regards to the Casshern review, I don't really care one way or another about the show, it's been on my list of "anime to check out" for a while, but I thought the point of reviewing the same thing twice was to see if there was any added bonus to getting this one rather than the old set. But your review added nothing, it was a recap of what you had said in your previous reviews. I mean, we know you don't like the show, fine, but are there any extras in this set that weren't on the last? is the quality of the blu-ray actually worth it? Is there anything that differentiates it from the previous one?

The bluray quality is definitely worth it. I have the combopack and I can tell the difference between the DVD and bluray quality on my HD TV.

The set is no different in disc than from the half sets. The discs actually say "Part 1" and "Part 2" on them still. It also has the same extras as the half sets and nothing else added.

I would suggest getting the combopack, though. It's in a MUCH more sturdier case than the cheap cardboard half sets.

The dub is excellent as well.

Hope that helps.
Greed1914

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:40 pm Reply with quote
Darker than Black became far more enjoyable when I realized that things like the Gate and why the real stars disappeared simply weren't that important. Sometimes people don't really care why something happened, they just accept it as part of their lives. As for the reason for payments, I thought they actually did explain that sufficiently. Contractors feel a compulsion to make their payment, and also I think there was the idea that not paying would kill them. I probably wouldn't skip a payment just to find out whether it would kill me or not.
erinfinnegan
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:48 pm Reply with quote
Kazemon15 wrote:
Maigraith wrote:
But your review added nothing, it was a recap of what you had said in your previous reviews. I mean, we know you don't like the show, fine, but are there any extras in this set that weren't on the last? is the quality of the blu-ray actually worth it? Is there anything that differentiates it from the previous one?

The bluray quality is definitely worth it. I have the combopack and I can tell the difference between the DVD and bluray quality on my HD TV.

The set is no different in disc than from the half sets. The discs actually say "Part 1" and "Part 2" on them still. It also has the same extras as the half sets and nothing else added.

You said it. Nothing was appreciably different. I should've emphasized that the extras were all the same.

As per eyeresist's comments on Hetalia, my husband has provided a handy list of France's many retreats:

Erin's husband wrote:
Battle of Agincourt (1415) – Henry V defeats an overwhelmingly numerically superior army with a rag-tag bunch of misfits, inflicts tens of thousands of casualties and loses a handful of his own men. This defeat is reversed when Joan of Arc beats the English back 14 years later, but alas the French get no glory from that victory as they ultimately burn their miraculous general at the stake.

Franco-Prussian War (1870-71) – Ends not merely with a French defeat, but with Kaiser Wilhelm I being crowned ruler of the German Empire in the Hall of Mirrors in Versailles; utterly humiliating for the French.

Battle of France (1940) – Axis powers skirt the Maginot Line (one of the dumbest ideas in the history of modern warfare) and quickly invade France. The French, despite having ample opportunity to rally and counterattack, fall victim to a pervasive sense of hopelessness and fail to muster a coordinated defense. Despite assuring Britain it would never pursue a separate peace with Germany, the French Prime Minister quickly insists on surrender and armistice. The new Vichy administration then busied themselves sinking the French navy so the Allies couldn’t use it against to defend against Nazi incursion.

Battle of Dien Bien Phu (1954) – The French surrender to the Vietnamese after a prolonged war of attrition. This paves the way for American involvement, to try to do what the French couldn’t. We know how well that worked out.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5