• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Dear Diary

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Divineking

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:17 pm Reply with quote
Got annoyed with the Future Diary review this week, but then I noticed she only watched one episode. Episode 9 should make that whole situation a bit clearer, and episode 10 is a nice breather episode.

I do kind of get the complaints about too much happening at once, but I guess that's the end result of trying to cram 5 years of manga into 26 episodes.
supercreep

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 6:21 pm Reply with quote
writerpatrick wrote:
I would be tempted to drop Last Exile but it's only suppose to be 13 episodes long so there should only about five episodes left. I think I can make it through the rest of the series and there is the chance that the ending might actually be worthwhile. I only really bothered with it because of it's relation to the original Last Exile but it's nowhere near as interesting. Although the flying sequences are interesting enough.

I didn't know that about Last Exile. That actually makes me kind of nervous; I thought there would be more time to develop the story and characters as I am already tired of it.

I enjoy Future Diary, thought I agree that the breeder diary was a little too ridiculous. I'm also really enjoying Un-go even though it could stand to be deeper.

Edit: is Chihayafuru really that good? I keep reading amazing things but the premise sounds so boring.
Spastic Minnow
Bargain Hunter
Exempt from Grammar Rules

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:16 pm Reply with quote
I don't know where the wiki author got the source but according to it, Last Exile:Fam will run for an oddly numbered 21 episodes
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:25 pm Reply with quote
Bamboo wrote:
I'd honestly rather be playing the video game.

This. Sharp looking series. Starts off with a good mystery type atmosphere, but then loses it. Some good ideas and some of the character designs are nice, but it kinda gets tripped up by its video game roots. I dropped Persona 4 around episode 4-5 because it felt like I was watching someone play a video game.

Bamboo wrote:
I say that every week. “This show is so pretty!” “I'm not captivated by it, but this show is so pretty!” “It's not you, it's me!” Ultimately, that's where I'm at with Fam, the Silver Wing. It's really gorgeous, but that's all I ever have to say about it.

I kinda felt the same way about the original Last Exile. I thought it looked great, and it wasn't horrible by any means but sometimes...I was terribly bored by it. I got the same feeling with Fam and dropped it early on.

The only thing on the list that I continue to have enthusiasm for is Chihayafuru, Fate/Zero, and Future Diary. As far as Future Diary:
Bamboo wrote:
I mean, a Breeders Diary? Really? Supposedly it helps someone control dogs that will break through windows and rip people apart, but I wonder how the diary itself works.

If I recall the manga correctly all the diaries spoiler[are just that--diaries. Most of them if I'm remembering correctly are passive and don't actually control anything. Most of the diaries have to do with each users obsessions or compulsions. The Breeder Diary kept track of the dogs, which was what the user was obsessed about. But I believe it did not allow for control of the dogs. I think the dogs had transmitters and voice commands could be relayed via the phone.] However, if they were following the manga then they did not explain the Breeder Diary very well in the anime.

The anime does feel a bit rushed since the beginning, but there are moments when things do slow down in the manga. Hopefully, that will show up as we go along. But you have to love Yuno and Yuki's reliance on her. The best part is that he can see himself getting sucked into this dependance and fears it, but doesn't know how to get out of it. Its delicious.
Leebo

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:29 pm Reply with quote
Maybe it's because I have played Persona 4, but it's weird seeing the "this is just like playing a video game" comments.

Either way, they're done with the new Persona character arcs for at least a few episodes.
Tanteikingdomkey

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:49 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:
Maybe it's because I have played Persona 4, but it's weird seeing the "this is just like playing a video game" comments.
Either way, they're done with the new Persona character arcs for at least a few episodes.

^this in fact they only have 1 or maybe 2 tops more people so they really did put them all back to back to back which really surprised me. any way it's now back to the mystery at full force!
Saffire

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 7:56 pm Reply with quote
supercreep wrote:
Edit: is Chihayafuru really that good? I keep reading amazing things but the premise sounds so boring.
Yes. Like the article says, just having the premise described to you doesn't do the show justice. It's easily one of the best shows this year.
maaya

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:26 pm Reply with quote
So you finally gave up on Majikoi. It's impressive you managed to continue this long. The first episode already felt like torture to me.

supercreep wrote:
is Chihayafuru really that good? I keep reading amazing things but the premise sounds so boring.

The premise is just the reason to get the characters together. The characters are the reason you watch the show. There's a reason this series already won some big awards over in Japan ^^ Just give it a try. Even if you hated karuta, it can hardly be worse than most of the other shows this season ... and this year ... and these last years ...

Quote:
It's series like Chihayafuru that keep me writing about anime.

Indeed. It's series like this that made me an anime fan in the first place and that keep me watching animes, and there simply aren't enough of them coming out Anime hyper
One-Eye

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 8:44 pm Reply with quote
Leebo wrote:

I didn't say it was like the Persona 4 game specifically, but it feels like a game or derived from one. The action in the first few episodes felt like a cross between a card game and video game which did not work for me personally and it felt like merchandising. Pulling out a card and having it turn into fantastic creatures/beings...well that is kinda game like isn't it? Leveling up and gaining a new persona kinda like a game, you know? Some of the settings for battles reminded me of video game backgrounds as well. The shift from murder mystery in the beginning, which I liked, to gaining personas wasn't working for me. Why, well because Imho it was spending a fair amount of time doing that and I found it to be repetitive. I just felt it wasn't telling its story in the most effective way possible. This does not mean the anime can't be entertaining for some people, and it doesn't mean the game is bad (has plenty of fans) its just wasn't working for me.
hooliganj

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 9:14 pm Reply with quote
Hunter X Hunter's Trick Tower story drags a bit even in the manga. It isn't the only time the formula-driven nature of the series takes over and the quality dips. However, it's almost over, and the next mini-arc is friggin' amazing. Wink
Keichitsu0305

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:05 pm Reply with quote
Megiddo wrote:
Keichitsu0305 wrote:
Question to the Hunter X Hunter manga fans: is Leorio a perverted idiot in the manga or is this a bad adaption of him?

He's a pervert, not an idiot. And this adaptation showed that he was quite intelligent, seeing through their plan with Majitani and finding a way to get that match settled quickly. Leroute was simply more cunning and used various means to unnerve him.

First, thanks for answering my question. Anime smile

Second, you're right about Leorio showing his intelligence not only in ep. 9 & 10 but throughout the anime.
I just thought in these two episodes, Leo seemed to lose his cool way more easily than in the earlier episodes therefore, I assumed the show was trying to portray him as "a perverted idiot". But it was, indeed, Leroute's cunning that dissuade his confidence.

I still like Hunter X Hunter so I'll stop complaining.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 10:25 pm Reply with quote
maaya wrote:

Quote:
It's series like Chihayafuru that keep me writing about anime.

Indeed. It's series like this that made me an anime fan in the first place and that keep me watching animes, and there simply aren't enough of them coming out >_<

I'm loving Chihayafuru enough that I'm strongly considering getting in touch with AmazonJP in order to import the Blu-ray release (which won't be completely unusual for me, since I'm currently importing two TV series [Tiger&Bunny and Hanasaku Iroha]). ^_^;
MaxSouth

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:23 pm Reply with quote
Even the first Last Exile had serious flaws (though in general was very good in production level), but this new series is seriously lame in many ways. It is basically for eight year old girls only.

So I agree that this show is gone completely from the watch list.
dtm42

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:52 pm Reply with quote
I could tell within the first six or seven minutes of the first episode that Last Exile ~Fam, the Silver Wing~ was not a very good show. Beautifully made with absolutely stunning visuals, but that doesn't mean squat.

And I'm surprised that a veteran such as Bamboo was suckered into Phi Brain: Kami no Puzzle at all, let alone as much as and long as she did. In the just the first episode the show went straight past 'stupid but funny' and entered 'by Jove, I can't believe it actually went there' territory.

Anime has had a long and bizarrely proud history of weird premises, but this was so moronic I could barely contain my gagging. A universe where solving puzzles no harder than those given to schoolchildren is considered to be of the most impressive and highest accomplishment . . . yeah. A Sudoku puzzle with that many numbers already given to you is easier than most of the Sudoku puzzles you see in the newspaper. I guess everyone is a hyper-genius . . . . . .
Mad_Scientist
Subscriber

PostPosted: Tue Dec 13, 2011 11:56 pm Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
It is basically for eight year old girls only.

Wait, what?

Now, I admit that I'm not caught up on the latest episodes and I haven't enjoyed the new series near as much as the first Last Exile, but I have to question this view. And given some of the fanservice in the show, I somehow doubt 8 year old girls was the target audience.

I mean, what? Do lots of cool looking air battles, and a cast almost entirely composed of attractive females, one of whom is shown stripping to her underwear in the very first scene, and maid outfits, and a plot involving politics and nations scheming, and all that really appeal to the 8 year old girl demographic?

8 year old girls are a lot different than I realized, I guess.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 2 of 5