• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
The Stream - Dear Diary

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
whoisfriend

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:05 am Reply with quote
Glad to see more love for episode 10 of Fate/Zero. It's probably going to make my top 5 stand alone anime episodes list. It also got a lot of undeserved hate from a couple message boards I read (mainly MAL), which I REALLY don't understand. I guess people wanted more of the main plot. I welcomed the change of pace.

Plus, Rin.
Razzuel

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:08 am Reply with quote
Bamboo continues to be spot on with Chihayafuru. Everything you said is the truth, like Taichi being so damn awesome. In the beginning, Taichi was kind of a jerk, but now as the show's progressed, instead of disliking him, I love him! Bring on next Tuesday; I'm ready for more!

As for Fate/Zero, I have to disagree with you on the latest episode. Don't get me wrong; it was extremely well executed, but I couldn't really care for Rin and her adventure. It just felt unnecessary when this huge war is going on with much, much more interesting characters than young Rin. I gotta say though, Kariya's appearance at the end of the episode basically made up for it, haha. I just really like his character and we haven't seen enough of him and Berserker yet.

I haven't really cared for Future Diary at all so far. I read half of the manga a long while ago and hated it; and then when Tokyopop died, I bought the rest of the manga and finished it. I ended up liking it in the end, since the story just goes crazy.

The problem is that the anime adaption just doesn't provide anything new for me. A good example of an adaption that blew me away just as much as the manga was Usagi Drop. I absolutely adore the manga, and the anime adaption evoked that same fervor. So I've been wondering why Future Diary is different, and I think it's because it's a very shallow show that's all about the crazy thing that's gonna happen next. Since I already know whats going to happen, all that's left is the story on its own merits without the shock value, which is just rather dull and somewhat annoying — and the characters don't make up for it.

Now, you didn't watch episode nine yet, but there's a battle of wits in episode nine that I really enjoyed in the manga. Revisiting it in the anime wasn't the same; the feelings of suspense and tension just weren't there like they were in the manga. It just felt boring to me. It also doesn't help that I absolutely loathe Yuno, but that's a whole different matter, haha.

I can't agree with you on Hunter x Hunter. I watched the original series first, and I was on the edge of my seat during Trick Tower, and this new version of Trick Tower is great too. I thought it was a good mixture of actual fights and battles of wits. Just wait though. The show just continues to get better and better. I can't wait for Yorkshin. I hope they don't screw it up, haha.

Oh, and I don't get all the Last Exile 2 hate. I'm thoroughly enjoying the show. Sure, I'd love to sit down and just burn through it, but I really like it, and I'd rather not wait however long it's gonna take to come out on Blu-ray to finish it, haha. I don't know; I feel like it has the same things going for it that made the first series great. Also, I really like Fam, Millia, and Gisey, so that probably helps, haha.

Ingraman wrote:
I'm loving Chihayafuru enough that I'm strongly considering getting in touch with AmazonJP in order to import the Blu-ray release (which won't be completely unusual for me, since I'm currently importing two TV series [Tiger&Bunny and Hanasaku Iroha]). Anime smile;

Do it! I already have the first two Blu-ray volumes preordered!
vinamara

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:25 am Reply with quote
I still can't see how Phi brain can score higher than Un-Go. Sure the supernatural content could be a minus but regardless, the mystery offered enough bait to be really invested in what's about to come next, whereas Phi brain doesn't even tickle your mind in any way despite being a puzzle-based anime.

And Bamboo seems to have a high tolerance for Mirai Nikki 'cause really, I'm tired of the so-called lead character do nothing but whine. This series amounts to nothing more than cheap pulp fiction imo. A thriller is supposed to thrill, which the series does not do.

Really sad to see that Bamboo jumped the gun and dropped Kimi to Boku because the previous week's and especially this week's episodes were amazing. Truth be told its been a long while since I've seen such a subtly nuanced romance anime. This week's episode really enticed me with its subtlety with stickers. Its amazing how friendship can start with such mundane beginnings. I love a romance bereft of pretentiousness brimming with its own sense of originality.

I gave Last exile the axe after watching two episodes and did the same with Ben-to after three episodes. I've also stopped watching Gundam Age and am tempted to dispose of Phi-brain because of its tiresome pattern.

Anyway I agree that Chihayafuru and Fate/zero deserve top billing.
dtm42

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 12:35 am Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
...a cast almost entirely composed of attractive females, one of whom is shown stripping to her underwear in the very first scene...

And just a few minutes later, we get these:

[Apologies for the crap quality, this Hi10P business is really annoying.]

Yeah, I really don't think this was aimed at eight-year-old girls. I've just got this gut feeling that it isn't the case.
zaeris

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:04 am Reply with quote
it must be me when we get to an age where viewer believe everything is sexualise because said character is half naked... which can translate to art to some people. Although from watching episode 1-8 I can say this series doesn't aim for fanservice, which at point, most scenes such as this is taken seriously instead.

And yes, this is no traditional magical girl series aka precure nor do we see hamster up to mischief, ^^, which concludes the demographic is not 8 year girl but more to the point I don't see it as fanservice pandering which is what you believe it to be.
bglassbrook

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 1:17 am Reply with quote
And now the reason behind some of the rankings falls into place...
Quote:
Caster, in particular, is devastatingly fun to watch, [...] I imagine his eHarmony profile would read, “Loves candlelit dinners and slaying innocent children.”

One guilty pleasure followed by six shows of major minor mayhem.

Ah well, the sooner these shows wrap-up, the sooner they can hit home video, and the sooner Aniplex's shows can hit the holiday sales for a mere 150-200% of their worth.
Leebo

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:11 am Reply with quote
One-Eye wrote:
Leebo wrote:
Maybe it's because I have played Persona 4, but it's weird seeing the "this is just like playing a video game" comments.

I didn't say it was like the Persona 4 game specifically, but it feels like a game or derived from one. The action in the first few episodes felt like a cross between a card game and video game which did not work for me personally and it felt like merchandising. Pulling out a card and having it turn into fantastic creatures/beings...well that is kinda game like isn't it? Leveling up and gaining a new persona kinda like a game, you know? Some of the settings for battles reminded me of video game backgrounds as well. The shift from murder mystery in the beginning, which I liked, to gaining personas wasn't working for me. Why, well because Imho it was spending a fair amount of time doing that and I found it to be repetitive. I just felt it wasn't telling its story in the most effective way possible. This does not mean the anime can't be entertaining for some people, and it doesn't mean the game is bad (has plenty of fans) its just wasn't working for me.

I typed up a thing about how the things people are calling "video game like" aren't restricted to video games, but I deleted it. I should probably just drop it, because P4 is my favorite game of all time, and I think the anime is doing a pretty great job considering the nature of the plot.

So I'm biased and I'm just not going to get it.
Ingraman

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 2:18 am Reply with quote
Razzuel wrote:
Ingraman wrote:
I'm loving Chihayafuru enough that I'm strongly considering getting in touch with AmazonJP in order to import the Blu-ray release (which won't be completely unusual for me, since I'm currently importing two TV series [Tiger&Bunny and Hanasaku Iroha]). ^_^;

Do it! I already have the first two Blu-ray volumes preordered!

I will. I just need to get around to it. ^^;

BTW, I should have said that I'm currently importing three series. Since I don't have more of 'em pre-ordered, I was forgetting about Usagi Drop. I've got the first two Blu-rays (and their cute mobile phone decorations ^_^ ) for that show...
Henry Jones

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:06 am Reply with quote
I like Fam the Silver Wing just fine, but yeah, it's nowhere near as good as Last Exile. The characters don't distinguish themselves that much, and there are interesting elements like ways the child empress is being manipulated and how people react to it and it has flashes of this being more fascinating than it is, but it hasn't reached out to that. Plus, this series doesn't want to reveal anything except the most basic "good guys/bad guys/neutral guys who speak Russian" type thing. Hopefully, with the integration of more characters from the original, it'll start to open up a bit. I will say the music is every bit as good as the original series, though.

Persona 4, well, playing the game, I have an active and integral part in developing who the character hangs with, how their persona develops, and so on, so the passive activity of watching it in an anime doesn't really work for me, so I dropped it fairly early. I'm sure it's just fine, but I'll stick with the game.
ANN_Bamboo
ANN Contributor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:08 am Reply with quote
vinamara wrote:
I still can't see how Phi brain can score higher than Un-Go. Sure the supernatural content could be a minus but regardless, the mystery offered enough bait to be really invested in what's about to come next, whereas Phi brain doesn't even tickle your mind in any way despite being a puzzle-based anime.

And Bamboo seems to have a high tolerance for Mirai Nikki 'cause really, I'm tired of the so-called lead character do nothing but whine. This series amounts to nothing more than cheap pulp fiction imo. A thriller is supposed to thrill, which the series does not do.

And a mystery show is supposed to have suspense. And I guess that's where I'm not jiving with Un-Go, because I feel like it has zero suspense. The show is trying to be everything, without actually succeeding at anything. It has a LOT of promise, but I feel the actual execution of the series doesn't live up to the potential. I want Un-Go to be a lot better than it actually is. Whereas I have no expectations for Phi-Brain.
maaya

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 4:43 am Reply with quote
MaxSouth wrote:
Even the first Last Exile had serious flaws (though in general was very good in production level), but this new series is seriously lame in many ways. It is basically for eight year old girls only.

It's definitely not. But maybe it feels like it. Lots of anime feel like children shows even though they're aimed at adults.
writerpatrick

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 8:38 am Reply with quote
maaya wrote:
MaxSouth wrote:
Even the first Last Exile had serious flaws (though in general was very good in production level), but this new series is seriously lame in many ways. It is basically for eight year old girls only.

It's definitely not. But maybe it feels like it. Lots of anime feel like children shows even though they're aimed at adults.

The show strikes me as very much moe. It's all about the cuteness and not that much about story.
zensunni

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 10:22 am Reply with quote
I still enjoy Fam each week, but I embraced the fact that my tastes have more in common with my pre-teen daughter than with many adults my age a long time ago... (I usually refer to it as embracing my inner teenage girl, but that seems a bit creepy...) The most recent episode, where Gisey is going to go home, Fam gets depressed, and Millia decides to get them to think straight by cooking for them, was really quite good and had a great deal of character development. Not to mention another original series character coming in at the end.

That said, I can understand where Bamboo is coming from with wanting to wait for the BD. It is fortunate for her that she will probably get to do it gratis, since she can request to do a review of it when it comes out! (Lucky!!)

Of the shows not on the Stream's radar, I have been really enjoying Haganai. Just caught up with the Funi stream of it last night and the show has some seriously fun episodes, and the main triangle between Yozora, Kodaka, and Sena is getting very interesting. spoiler[The back-story between Yozora and Kodaka is funny and sad at the same time. One wonders how long it will be before he realizes who she actually is. As for Sena, and her father, there seems to be something more going on there than meets the eye too. It is obvious that Sena's dad and Kodaka's dad are really close friends, and they both have blond kids... One wonders if there is a connection between Sena's mom and Kodaka's?] The over-riding sense of loneliness and sadness in the characters prevents this from just being a silly harem romp, but even as that, it is fun.

Shana III is fun, but it seems to be trying to fit too many novels into too few episodes! I know they have to get to the end, but does it have to be at the expense of making sense? (Looking back, the original and the 2nd season had plenty of times when they didn't make much sense either... Maybe it is too much story to fit into anime... I should read tha books...)

Chihiafuru is still my favorite of the season. It is heart warming and, even when you know the outcome, like with the regional tournament, it is still fun and tension packed.
HeeroTX

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:05 am Reply with quote
I'm REALLY curious what Future Diary is going to be doing for the second half (since I haven't read the manga). People keep saying that there's so much to squeeze in in the time alotted, and I watched them burn through so many characters in the first 10 that I really wonder what happens for the rest that takes so much time. I can only assume it's a thorough examination of Yuno considering that the show lives and dies (metaphorically, but also literally I guess) on her. Yukiteru is Shinji and he is not compelling (or even interesting) to me right now, but Yuno is, so it'll be interesting to see where it goes. But yeah, didn't feel the need for a spoiler[Kaworu] clone in this one. (-_-)

But one thing that hasn't (yet) abated, I was counting characters to myself, how nuts is the show when if you're noting characters by "type" when you count "the psychopath", you're left to pause and note: wait, who ISN'T a psychopath.
MarineCorps

PostPosted: Wed Dec 14, 2011 11:43 am Reply with quote
Should have done ep 8-9 of future diary at the same time
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5