• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Sammy's Hard Boiled Slot Machines Get Anime, Manga

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icepick314

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:06 am Reply with quote
i TRIED to follow plots in those pachinko/slot games but i just can't...

am i missing something?
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger ICQ Number
v1cious

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:25 am Reply with quote
the hell? Shocked slot machines have stories? come on Japan.

promo looks pretty good though.
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 11:33 am Reply with quote
Haw, for a second there...I was thinking this was a bastardization of John Woo's masterpiece...

Thank lord it's just a pachinko machine... Laughing
Tenchi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:39 pm Reply with quote
Based on a slot machine? Maybe it'll be a story about bells, cherries, and the number 7?

SPOILER: The lemons are the bad guys.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
daxomni

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 9:48 pm Reply with quote
I never bothered with pachinko parlors until my third visit. My impression? You won't win anything and you also won't be able to tolerate the incredible noise unless you're deaf or be able to breath unless you love stale smokey air. It's a waste of time and money in every possible way. It's best to just leave your friend with a gambling problem and head out to a nearby restaurant for some fresher air and a gaijin-sized biru. Then when your friend is penniless and sour you can buy them a beer to cheer them up. That's how pachinko parlors work, apparently.

As for the anime stuff? It's nothing new IIRC, but whatever tie-in they have is over my head and didn't make much if any sense. Yeah, so there's posters and stickers of NGE on the machine. So what? Oh, it made a noise that sounded similar to the anime. And that means? Beats the hell out of me. Seriously, the world would be better off without so many yen-sucking noise-making lung-clogging gambling rooms.
Who Is This Guy!?

PostPosted: Wed Sep 17, 2008 10:18 pm Reply with quote
daxomni wrote:
I never bothered with pachinko parlors until my third visit. My impression? You won't win anything and you also won't be able to tolerate the incredible noise unless you're deaf or be able to breath unless you love stale smokey air. It's a waste of time and money in every possible way. It's best to just leave your friend with a gambling problem and head out to a nearby restaurant for some fresher air and a gaijin-sized biru. Then when your friend is penniless and sour you can buy them a beer to cheer them up. That's how pachinko parlors work, apparently.

As for the anime stuff? It's nothing new IIRC, but whatever tie-in they have is over my head and didn't make much if any sense. Yeah, so there's posters and stickers of NGE on the machine. So what? Oh, it made a noise that sounded similar to the anime. And that means? Beats the hell out of me. Seriously, the world would be better off without so many yen-sucking noise-making lung-clogging gambling rooms.

Harsh. If we didn't have pachinko, we wouldn't have Gintama...
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Page 1 of 1