• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Best Manga Art Thread!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Pariah

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:23 pm Reply with quote
Laughing

Just wanted to start a discussion here. I'm interested in what manga people think has the best art they've ever seen. Mine is anything done by CLAMP. Their art is just beautiful. But I'm also a fan of Chiho Saito's work in Utena and Narumi Kakinouchi from Miyu. What about the rest of you?
Tempest
I Run this place.
ANN Publisher

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:37 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I'm surprised no one has answered this thread yet.

Artistically, I'd have to give a lot of credit to Shirow Masamune, some of his Manga are beautifully detailed and colored. But his style, varies a lot from one Manga to another. The best examples of his art are his posters, which can be absolutely stunning, hence the popularity of Intron Depot.

I also happen to like the Mnga artwork of Ryoichi Ikegami, he did the artwork for Crying Freeman, Strain and Sanctuary.

When I think "Good art" those are the two names that stand out immediately. Without a doubt, if I went and sat down in front of my Manga collection I'd be able to name many more artists that I like...
ShockWave

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 4:38 pm Reply with quote
I have to put down a vote for Fujishima Kosuke's work. My favorite is You're Under Arrest! (Taiho Shichauzo!) as I am a car nut and his renderings of vehicles and movement are stunning. It's got to be tough keeping all the various elements of a vehicle in place and lined up correctly and he does it so well. In addition, he does fantastic character design. I love his characters in Oh! My Goddess (Ah! Megamisama) and Sakura Wars (Sakura Taisen).

And I'd like to put in an honorable mention for Ben Dunn, creator of Ninja High School. I have always enjoyed his work as nothing's safe with him.
henmi

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 6:19 pm Reply with quote
I tend to read manga less than I watch anime (I only really own one series), so there's not a whole lot I can say here. But I like the art in Nausicaä.
Armblessed

PostPosted: Mon Mar 25, 2002 3:38 pm Reply with quote
For detail on buildings, backgrounds, and techno-junk, I'm going to have to go with Yukito Kishiro's Battle Angel. As for people however, I got to go with Masakazu Katsura. He did Video Girl Ai among other things. His females are definitely "to die for".
Ragunoroku Megido

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 2:16 am Reply with quote
Wow..lots of names mentioned that I happen to be sort
of a fan of.Really,some great artists. n_n
I just don't think I can pick one I've seen as having
the best art..So many different styles for one thing.. n_n;;;;

Um..Anyway,I also happen to really like the art in
Blade of the Immortal/Mugen no Jyuunin.
It's just so..wow. n_n;; Can't really describe
it that well tonight(/this morning).
But Hiroaki Samura does an excellent
job I think. n_n
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number
Ogami Itto

PostPosted: Tue Mar 26, 2002 1:23 pm Reply with quote
i'm not too much of a fan of Manga, I guess I prefer anime. Well my faveourite artwork has to be by Yoshiaki Kawajirii for Ninja Scroll, and of course, Masamune Shirow for Ghost in the Shell.

Oh and Macross Plus totally blew me away, didn't that have similar character design to Eva? I sort of recognised some of the characters, Tojii has an uncanny resembelence to Guld. Anything by CLAMP's excellent as well.
Yuriko

PostPosted: Thu Mar 28, 2002 6:12 pm Reply with quote
Yukito Kishiro for Battle Angel Alita, I really liked the covers for it, Alita's eyes are sometimes creepy though, I haven't seen the film yet, they're showing it this weekend :) . I liked the manga for Hyper Police too, granted I can only read... bits(my Spainish is limited to about 6 words :p), but I still like the artwork, Minoru Tachikawa does well, I think they were right to size the breasts down a bit in the anime. Yuki Kaori for Angel Sanctuary, which I have notes from people who translated it.
And of course my favourite manga is Vampire Miyu/Yui/Dahlia by Hirano Toshihiro and Kakinouchi Narumi.

Does anyone have any of the Cowboy Bebop manga? Is it worth getting?

I own more manga than anime, mainly because it's cheaper... ad there's more of it available to me.
ashram12

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 10:47 pm Reply with quote
My favorite manga artists:
Hiroaki Samura (Blade of the Immortal). I love the shading he does on some of the picture. Also the art style has a sketchy quality that I like.
Yukito Kishiro (Battle Angel Alita). Also some very nice art.
Overall, I have to say that a lot of the comics for boys (or men) that I've seen are really well drawn.
However, in my opinion, girl's comics suffer in the art department. For example, Vampire Princess Miyu,in a lot of the panels, I can't quite figure out what is depicted because the outlines are so vague. Also in Sailor Moon (for example), the bodies' proportions are off. Granted the art is not supposed to be realsitic, but sometimes the elongations of the limbs seem too "out there". And also, perspective sometimes isn't handled very well. Anyway my favorite "shojo manga" artists are:
Kaori Yuki (Angel Sanctuary)
Kazuya Minekura (Saiyuki)
The mangaka of Yami no Matsuei whose name escapes me for the moment.
I think these mangakas have a better grasp on drawing the human body.
Well, that's my list.
KawaiiSylphiel

PostPosted: Fri Apr 12, 2002 11:10 pm Reply with quote
Clamp is awesome! I deffinitely love their work Smile

Watase Yu is most excellent at what she does as well.... she draws Bishonen oh so nicely Very Happy

And lest we forget Rumiko Takahashi... creator of Ranma and Inu Yasha. Her artform is so simple, yet wonderful. She has a wonderful eye for angels too! Try reading the first volume of Ranma and then immediately watch the first few eps of the anime. They actually take and just copy some of the things she drew because she has an eye for a good shot.

These three have to be my top picks for manga artists. Very Happy
LordByronius
ANN Columnist

PostPosted: Sat Apr 13, 2002 12:30 pm Reply with quote
Tut tut! Let us not forget that most of our venerable anime directors have churned out a good manga or two.

My vote goes for Katsuhiro Otomo. Domu is just freaking creepy. And the Akira manga is an outright classic, despite your feelings towards the film.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
sacchan

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2003 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Definitely Obata Takeshi's art from Hikaru no Go. I'm surprised no one mentioned him.

I read mostly shoujo manga, and my favorites in terms of art are:
- Nakajo Hisaya (Hanazakari no Kimitachie)
- Shitou Ryoko (Bud Boy)
- Ohya Kazumi (Dream Kiss, Citrus Eyes)
I love how she draws faces. Her drawings of bodies are a little weak, though.
- Tamura Yumi (BASARA)
A distinct, flowing art style. Very easy to recognize.
- Hiwatari Saki (last few volumes of Please Save My Earth)
In my opinion, her artwork went downhill from there. It became sloppy.
- Yoshiwara Yuki (O-bo-re-ta-i, Hah-hah)
She writes slightly-ecchi comedies for ladies. Her stories are not deep, but I like her art style.
- Yoshimura Akemi (Bara no Tameni)
- Saito Chiho (Koi Monogatari, Waltz wa Shiroi Dress de)
Beautiful art. I like her short stories, but her longer stories can get boring.
SkullKnight

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:58 pm Reply with quote
Shirow all the way! his ability to draw women in the scifi action genre is awesome. I have 3 posters and 2 calenders of his on my wall at this moment, 2003 calender is great. His work has the same flare as Dave Stevens does for his female work.
Responsible for comics such as the Rocketeer and helping to resurrect Betty Paige.

I like the artist behind the Berserk Manga I forgot his name.
Clamp's work is good, there older stuff was iffy but there starting to evolve stylistically in a way that I like.
Laughing Hyena

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2003 8:49 pm Reply with quote
Masashi Tanaka, just look at 'Gon' at your local book/comic store to see what I mean. This man can certainly draw details and animals well, hooboy!

Takehiko Itoh, because I'm a nut about his work and artstyle. Volume 8 of Future-Retro Hero Story really impressed me, the last battle between Juji and King Brass was just simply stunning. Itoh is that good with drawing fast paced action.

There are also many artists that I like as well and I really haven't come across anyone who does bad artwork. There are some certain artstyles that I don't like which is more about personal taste to me. For example, Clamp's big eyes and art doesn't turn me on and I have a huge dislike for Akira Toriyama's artstyle. But that's just me.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Asano Rain

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 3:56 am Reply with quote
As much as I love CLAMP's artwork (or more specifically, Mokona-sensei's), I have to say that there are more talented mangaka out there...

Shurei Kouyu, the woman who draws Alichino... frickin amazing! Alichino has the most gorgeous artwork I've seen in manga... ever.

Also, Yuki Kaori's highly gifted... her beginning work on Angel Sanctuary was a tad bit sketchy (still fantastic), but good lord... does she improve drastically and wonderfully later. *drool*
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> General -> Manga All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2