• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Cartoon Network to End Toonami on September 20

Goto page Previous    Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jr240483

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
Mad_Scientist wrote:
babynaruto1 wrote:
What's going to happen to Naruto now? Episodes 200-220 still need to be english dubbed, and then there's Shippuuden! Not to mention the movies and OVAs/Specials!

I guess I'll have to wait until the episodes come to DVD, or when Toonami Jetstream finally catches up to them, or when Toonami gets revived or when another channel picks them up Anime cry.

I doubt Naruto is going away. I mean, as far as I know it's pretty popular, and it sells a fair amount of merchandise. Even with Toonami gone, Naruto will live on somewhere on the CN, I think.

EDIT: Just re-read the article, and yep, there's an episode of Naruto sceduled for after Toonami ends, on Oct 4th. And the Batman thing they are showing before it is actually an anime too. So the end of Toonami doesn't mean the end of anime on Cartoon Network.

True enough,but what i'm worrying is that it may mean the end of mainstream anime as we know it. Naruto would've been a lot more popular if people didn't made fansubs and posting it on free websites.Not to mention the errors made by 4kids which caused people to hate dubs completely.I just hope that this doesn't mean that it'll cause the shippuden series to be scraped from CN.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:15 pm Reply with quote
From what I said on ANN FF about the matter:

Quote:
Gal, just barely found out about all this...... I mean it was just so sudden, they didn't give us 2 weeks notice or anything like that, it just up and left...... And I just barely found out about it!! I mean what the crap!? I even caught a glimpse Naruto back on Saturday night not even comprehending that it was going to go under, and joked about how they were still on the same OP and couldn't wait till they started doing Yura Yura. Heh, little did I know, huh? How tragically ironic.....

So yes, as one who he himself was not only brought into anime through Toonami but was pretty much raised as an anime fan by it I would for sure like to give it my belated and unexpected farewell. Thanks for all the good times, you surely will be missed. I just wish I could have been there for your swan song. Crying or Very sad

Although I did actually see that farewell when I clicked on that link to it on YouTube here. I just wish I could have been there personally is all. Stupid real life business......
Top Gun

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:39 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
True enough,but what i'm worrying is that it may mean the end of mainstream anime as we know it. Naruto would've been a lot more popular if people didn't made fansubs and posting it on free websites.Not to mention the errors made by 4kids which caused people to hate dubs completely.I just hope that this doesn't mean that it'll cause the shippuden series to be scraped from CN.

Um, Naruto is licensed by Viz, not 4Kids, and its TV broadcast was very lightly edited in the grand scheme of things.
Hagaren_Otaku726

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
This is really really sad. I grew up with Toonami (No, seriously, I did grow up with it =D). It's probably what influenced a lot of my anime obsession habits...

I still remember recording Kenshin sneakily because mom didn't like me watching the sword fighting =D. Dragon Ball Z was good for mindless Huraaagh-ing power ups that took episodes on end (And I still enjoyed every second of the mindlessness), .hack//SIGN was one of the first anime I ever watched (and totally misinterpreted the opening to), and Cyborg 009 was just darned cool.

I will sorely miss this programming block. Farewell Tom (or whoever it is now.) Anime cry
Rednal

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:45 pm Reply with quote
I vaguely recall watching Sailor Moon whilst very young... it might have been on Toonami. ^^; Earliest direct anime influence, I believe.

...Dangit, it just doesn't feel right. I would give up quite a lot to be given control of a two-hour timeslot Saturday Evenings, one ad every half hour as well as some online, final say on what gets aired when and for how long, and somebody to help me with negotiations with the anime companies. >.< I bet I could have anime on Cartoon Network without Adult Swim and still turn a profit for 'em to convince them to let me keep doing it.
hurricanefransee

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:12 pm Reply with quote
i seriously shed a tear when i read this. toonami is what started me down the road of being a otaku. i remember my first anime was outlaw star. this really is a shame i had hoped that they would have taken on Busou Renkin. i just hope that this means that they will not play anime at all soon on cartoon network.
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:04 pm Reply with quote
Shiggity wrote:
Warstar77 wrote:
heres plan
1, got piece paper and got it to CN
2. Tell cartoon network to make a new block just for anime from 7:00 pm to 11:00 am weekdays and weekends
3. anime blocks on cartoonnetwork. things like gundam seed and gundam seed destiny, and old shows like sailor moon seasons 1-4, naruto, dragonball-dragonball gt, like shows from funimation, viz and other places in america and with this anime block we made on cartoon network. There ratings will skyrocket that toonmai replaced to that we made anime block on cartoon network..
4.people got last seasoned of sailor moon on cartoon network.
come on all anime fans nows the time to replace toonami block with anime block. i need your help people and i am encourge people to wrote to cartoon network to make anime block 7:00 am to 11:00 pm weekdays and weekend and we can make this anime block on cartoon network a really

As much as I, as well as probably everyone else, admires your determination to bring back "Toonami" in some way, shape or form, I really doubt they're going to bring it back. You can try, but it's not going to happen. Like I said in one of my previous posts, I loathe Toonami for airing such crappy dubs, but at the same time it's made me curious about what the original was like, and I'm grateful for that.

I love Sailor Moon in Japanese, and seasons 3 and 4 in English aren't horrible, but I prefer them NOT to have unnecessary scenes cut. Also the voices are horrible. Should they redub the series with better actors that show as much emotion as their Japanese counterparts, then I'd buy the entire series solely for the English version. As it stands right now though, Hell will freeze over before that happens. It's also got alot to do with the US censorship remember...

Toei needs to put that mess to the side and get on with the future. If anyone were to rescue Sailor Moon and breathe new life into this old classic, I'm placing my bets on FUNimation, seeing as how they and Toei are tight like that. Hell, I'd kill to see ALL of Sailor Moon get licensed (Including Sailor Stars--WHY WASN'T IT BROUGHT TO THE STATES GODDAMN IT?!), digitally remastered, and given a new, uncut dub, and released in season box sets on both DVD and Blu-Ray.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Shiggity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 1:54 pm Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Hell, I'd kill to see ALL of Sailor Moon get licensed (Including Sailor Stars--WHY WASN'T IT BROUGHT TO THE STATES GODDAMN IT?!), digitally remastered, and given a new, uncut dub, and released in season box sets on both DVD and Blu-Ray.

Was that rhetorical or do you really not know why SM Stars wasn't licensed?

Seasons 1-4 of SM are available (on DVD at least) and I believe the dub is uncut. Don't quote me on that though.
Teriyaki Terrier

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:47 pm Reply with quote
I'll admit, I haven't watched Toonami in a while, hearing news of Toonami ending does make me slightly sad. Cyborg 009, Rurouni Kenshin, Tenchi Muyo, Dragon Ball, Dragon Ball Z, Dragon Ball GT, Yu Yu Hakushu, Hamtaro and even non- anime titles like the Justice Legue were among my favorite shows.

Thank you Toonami for showing shows I normally wouldn't be able to see elsewhere in English. Dragon Ball included, I doubt I'll be able to find that on television any time soon, but at least Netflix might have this series. Only shame is the new generation won't be able to find anime station this great for several years to come.

Thank you for the great memories, eleven years is a long time.

Toonami 1997-2008

Great memories indeed.
tygerchickchibi

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:05 pm Reply with quote
Shiggity wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
Hell, I'd kill to see ALL of Sailor Moon get licensed (Including Sailor Stars--WHY WASN'T IT BROUGHT TO THE STATES GODDAMN IT?!), digitally remastered, and given a new, uncut dub, and released in season box sets on both DVD and Blu-Ray.

Seasons 1-4 of SM are available (on DVD at least) and I believe the dub is uncut. Don't quote me on that though.

And here comes another SM Fan.

Season 1 and 2 are uncut in subtitles only. S and SuperS are available in bilingual format uncut, though the English dub dialogue remained mostly the same.
Shiggity

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 11:10 pm Reply with quote
tygerchickchibi wrote:
Shiggity wrote:
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

And here comes another SM Fan.

Season 1 and 2 are uncut in subtitles only. S and SuperS are available in bilingual format uncut, though the English dub dialogue remained mostly the same.

Ahh good to know. I never want to watch the dub.. EVER AGAIN. lol.
enurtsol

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 12:39 am Reply with quote
All good things have to come to an end.

DBZ propped up Toonami for years... then the gals started leaving... so CN created Miguzi... but that didn't pan out... and along the way, Toonami kept shrinking... while Adult Swim took some of its thunder away... so Toonami became less and less special... with no major changes for years and years making it somewhat stale....

It's about time for a change. This coming from someone who was there from the start. I need a change too. Laughing
PunkDaddy

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:22 pm Reply with quote
Iritscen wrote:
PunkDaddy wrote:
Williams Street works for Time/Warner.[...]There's also his ego to consider.

Shocked Um. You do know Williams Street is not a person, right?

Embarassed *sigh* Nothing like a misunderstanding like this to shoot one's credibility to hell. I thought Williams Street was some broadcasting mucky-muck. I've met a few people over there, but it's been 5 years, so I figured "he" was new. Sorry for being a retard! I still stand by my general comments though.

Iritscen wrote:
Anyway, three thoughts:
1. Canceling Toonami was a shock for me, too, but, with everything that's been said here, was it really a bad thing considering how the block had ended up? Now we get to see if we can become less "mainstream" (we were never mainstream, but the point is, now we'll be further in a niche than for the last few years). I kind of look forward to that. This blow-out of the last couple years in the R1 industry was (in hindsight) as inevitable as the dot-com bubble burst. Now let's let the dust settle and go back to hunting a little harder for our animé; it won't curb our enjoyment of it, right? It might even increase it.

2. The less animé CN airs, the less I have to watch their channel at night, which means the less promos for their drivel I have to watch; seriously, the level of stupidity in their programming is unrivaled on TV and even what I see in the commercials offends me (and yes, I *do* skip them, now, after having been offended enough times).

3. If CN's animé gets any more scarce at all, I'm canceling my TV service altogether. Seriously. That's not a statement of fanatical reactionism, it's just a sad fact that I only watch 2-4 shows on other channels. CN's animé was the major part of my weekly TV viewing. So, without it, I have even less justification for paying that monthly bill. This is not a bad thing, again: it simply means that I will have to find my animé through other channels (yes, legal, paid channels). Even with having to buy or rent everything I want to see from that point on, I will still probably save money if I cancel TV. So bring it on, CN, make my day and I'll cancel my subscription faster than you can, I don't know, switch shows to horrible timeslots.

1) I think you are absolutely right. It would be like the comics book world. There are a few big titles that everyone knows but everything else struggles to find room in some comic book store and doesn't really escape. It was a big deal when Manga became mainstream because the comic book stores (mostly, some exceptions) didn't really embrace it untill Borders and Barnes & Noble did. We'd be so niche, we'd be like a closed pocket. Trapped.

2/3- I can't comment effectively, I don't have cable, I, like TheShaggyFreak, have Netflix. I get what I want, when I want, but it's not as convenient...

I'm also 38, but I didn't get into anime until my college friends decided to "educate" me one summer. I'm probably not as hard-core as most people who say they like anime and I've gotten pretty picky, but I still like to watch. I just watch more with my kids...
The_PSJ_Anime_Fan

PostPosted: Tue Oct 14, 2008 11:09 pm Reply with quote
11 years of fun and finally its over. I will definitely miss Toonami. It was because of Toonami that I became a fan of anime. It would be cool if they released a "Best of Toonami" DVD but I don't think it will happen.

So long old friend, you will be remembered by all
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Wed Oct 15, 2008 9:41 am Reply with quote
FireChick wrote:
Why is Toonami being taken down? Sure I don't watch it much, but that's because I can't stay up late.

Probably ratings.

used to watch Naruto on Toonami back when the show was in like the 30s. I missed a week and decided to go on youtube to see if I can find it. Imagine my surprise when I found over 150 were available. That marked the first and last time that I ever watched the broadcast version.

I don't think thats a rare and I think its a major issues. Theres no point for people to tune in to a broadcast when I can get the entire series on the net. Why wait a week for a cliffhanger when you can literally go out a grab a torrent or start a stream within like 3 minutes of web browsing?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous    Next
Page 19 of 20