• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
INTEREST: Saturday Night Live's 'J-Pop Talk Show' Spoof Returns

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Curtle

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
TnAdct1 from the AQS forums noted that there is a Negima pillow in there as well. Its the one on the left side of the right couch.

Last edited by Curtle on Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
v1cious

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:43 pm Reply with quote
Not as funny as the first one, but I still laughed.
icomeanon6
Subscriber

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 1:47 pm Reply with quote
It was moderately amusing but overly long the first time they did a sketch like this, and this one doesn't add too much.

SNL's really gone downhill since the '70s.
mimosa_usagi

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:01 pm Reply with quote
I did not really find anything other than the dude playing the Japanese girlfriend to be funny. Not because they were making fun of anime fans, but because it was just not funny. Also they have two of the new cast members who suck the most doing the sketch. But for some reason it is the type of fan that they are making fun of that makes me want to hide my anime fandom. So there impersonation is pretty on the nose, it is just not done in a funny way. At least that is just my two-cents. Also I agree with you icomeanon4 70s SNL was the best cast Wink
spoony

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:02 pm Reply with quote
The set looks a lot better this time! I still don't think it's particularly funny, though. Not because I'm offended, just because it's not all that clever and I can tell the creators don't know a lot about what they're trying to parody. Anime fans could have done it much better. =P I guess then we'd be the only ones who got the jokes, though...

I do like the professor. He's funny, and at the same time he takes it out of offensive territory (offensive to Japan, not to overzealous American fans). He kind of reminds me of my Japanese history professor.
Nayu

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:11 pm Reply with quote
"YOU'RE WHITE PEOPLE!"

Nailed it again SNL.
CareyGrant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Oh, mercy that's funny! And sadly, embarrassingly accurate for part of our demographic.

"The Dickheads!" Too funny.

spoony wrote:
...I can tell the creators don't know a lot about what they're trying to parody. Anime fans could have done it much better. =P I guess then we'd be the only ones who got the jokes, though...

For me, that was dead on. I think anyone into anime or manga knows (or may be) someone like this: that hardcore Japanophile who doesn't speak Japanese (beyond the broken fragments they've heard and appropriated and use willy nilly when speaking in their native language to be more Japanese), whose perception about Japan comes almost entirely from anime, manga, or Japanese popculture media; but desperately wishes they were Japanese or lived in Japanese nerd culture.

And if "fans" had done the sketch you're right, it would be nothing but industry or convention in-jokes, with a liberal helping of portal references about cake thrown about. It would basically have been a bad con panel with very mixed results.

spoony wrote:
I do like the professor. He's funny, and at the same time he takes it out of offensive territory (offensive to Japan, not to overzealous American fans). He kind of reminds me of my Japanese history professor.

Oh, I'm sure there are plenty of American fans who found that offensive. And I agree, the professor was an inspired, hilarious touch.

Last edited by CareyGrant on Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Hannish Lightning

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:24 pm Reply with quote
Wow, that skit is a spot on representation of how weeaboos are actually like.
Emma Iveli

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:27 pm Reply with quote
I actually have that Negima pillow, so that made me laugh (My mom got it for me), but still the teacher was once again the funniest part of the sketch.
Redlinks

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:28 pm Reply with quote
Hannish Lightning wrote:
Wow, that skit is a spot on representation of how weeaboos are actually like.

Exactly what I was gonna say.
Aura Ichadora

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:35 pm Reply with quote
Watched it this morning - so messed up, yet so hilarious and true at the same time. Anime hyper

My brother is tempted to find the same outfit the guy wore in the skit and get one of his friends to act as the professor when we go to Anime Central next year. Personally, I think it'd be great if he, or anyone, does that at a con.
jmfsilenthill

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:36 pm Reply with quote
Wish someone had a youtube link of this Wink .
mewpudding101
Industry Insider

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:37 pm Reply with quote
XDDD There is no Japanese in this skit, be warned. Why are they putting dodo at the end of their sentences...?
Gasero

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 2:48 pm Reply with quote
I have enjoyed both of the sketches. As someone who has middling anime fandom, I see both sides. The people who are into it TOO much and the people who have no interest at all. I am one of those people who occasionally finds an anime to enjoy, but usually sticks to the most popular titles (shonen action related).

I got a few good laughs out of it, but I hope they do not do it too much. Certainly no more until next season.
SaiyanHero16

PostPosted: Sun Dec 11, 2011 3:04 pm Reply with quote
I couldn't stop cracking up when I saw the Chopper pillow Laughing
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3