• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Anime Weekend Atlanta 2008 - Funimation Entertainment

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
zanarkand princess

PostPosted: Sun Sep 21, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Viz lost the bidding war to the anime. They have no right to bitch.
I have a feeling that viz does have a say in what CN does and so if funi is talking to CN they might also be talking to viz.
Alex_Strife

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 12:39 am Reply with quote
zanarkand princess wrote:
Quote:
Viz lost the bidding war to the anime. They have no right to bitch.
I have a feeling that viz does have a say in what CN does and so if funi is talking to CN they might also be talking to viz.

What do you mean by that? Are you saying that it's always up to Viz to decide which manga properties FUNi can obtain from them and it's practically the reason why they let FUNi have D Gray Man and One Piece in the first place?
Whoisthatguy?! An idiot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 1:04 am Reply with quote
Quote:

You must be a pretty clever little not-so-nice-person to come in here and start calling me thickheaded and my posts "poorly thought out". Maybe you don't realize this but you're giving Cartoon Network FAR too much credit here. The show WON'T work on a regular afternoon or early evening block. Renaming the Black Order to some other organization and watering down the show's concepts doesn't change the fact that it is a dark show that deals with darker concepts. Casual and non casual anime fans WILL notice this and WILL raise a stink about it. Wake up! This isn't 1998 anymore! I'm still even amazed that you want to see a show censored in this day and age.

Where did I say I wanted the show censored? I said what they could do.

I think you are misinformed and seem to confuse CN with 4kids. I know what has aired on CN because I have watched it since Toonami's conception. Again Yu Yu Hakusho with its god awful pacing and villains was a very dark show. For all the jokes made about him Orchimaru is a very dark villain himself and so was Gaara.

Most casual anime fans won't care they simply want a quality show to follow. Do not confuse Bakugan and Blue Dragon with every anime that airs on the network. And toning down that element of DGM won't ensure its failure as a show.

Don't put words in my mouth.
KabaKabaFruit

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 10:22 am Reply with quote
Sorry for putting words in your mouth as I hate having people put words in mine but I have to ask you something: did you even watch D.Gray-Man?

Cartoon Network won't make the show work because their editing department is not going to have a field day with this show, they're going to have a field week! Censoring every last bit of religious imagery and terminology is going to take a lot of work considering that the main characters are proud to be exorcists and wear the rose cross on their uniforms. In addition, you also have Allen Walker's brief blessing that is used as a tagline for the show.

There is also the matter of the origin of Innocence and the origin of the Noah family. To change all that around would mean that the show would be turned into a generic demon hunting anime that won't really distinguish it from other demon hunting anime.

What really distinguishes D.Gray-Man from other demon hunting anime is the fact that the show revolves around exorcism and fighting a war against the descendants of a holy chosen individual while being accompanied by a noble that may or may not be the embodiment of Satan with a few demons thrown into the mix. The results of some of these battles can get really, really dark and just would stand out on a kids block.

CN and Williams Street will take one look at this show and realize that it just won't fit on an afternoon or early evening block without heavy editing that they really don't need. Besides, D.Gray-Man is not really an insanely popular Shonen like Naruto or Bleach. Viz's release of the manga is under "Shonen Jump Advanced" meaning it is specifically aimed at an older audience.

I've met other people on other boards who insisted that Death Note should've been on Toonami and that was far more frustrating for me to deal with than a show like D.Gray-Man.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:23 pm Reply with quote
Which is really dumb. So it's okay for Naruto to be shown relatively unedited when spoiler[Kabuto rips his own heart out, Itachi slaughters innocent people and then stabs opponents for 72 hours, Gaara talking about the only meaning in life is killing people, the whole fact that 12-year olds are fighting each other to death, etc.] but some religious references and demons (the latter of which is present in Naruto anyway and also left unedited) are too much?

"I've met other people on other boards who insisted that Death Note should've been on Toonami and that was far more frustrating for me to deal with than a show like D.Gray-Man."

Laughing I've heard those arguments.
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 2:50 pm Reply with quote
Another convention, still no Gintama, surprise surprise. Gintama is the definition of fun shonen. As well, I'm so totally surprised no one came out and said they had a property set to air on Canadian Television Rolling Eyes Time to go back to Zatch Bell!, Naruto, and Bleach Rolling Eyes

Don't hold FUNi responsible for One Piece on TV, they don't have the broadcast license, that is owned by surprise, surprise, Toei, or so FUNi reps said once upon a time.

Unless Shinchan gets another broadcaster, it's dub will probably go the way of Detective Conan/Case Closed and get canceled.

As well, I'm a Toriyama fanboy, and I couldn't care less for Boob Dragon then I already do, why? All AT did was design characters, he
teh*darkness

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:07 pm Reply with quote
BellosTheMighty wrote:
Plus, there's the fact that these shows tend to run for ages, which is a huge commitment in financially strained times. I think it's going to be very difficult to get an open-ended shonen series on the air for the next few years.

D. Gray-Man is 103 episodes. Unless they make more later, it is hardly open-ended.

Whoisthatguy?! An idiot wrote:
Again Yu Yu Hakusho with its god awful pacing and villains was a very dark show.

Yes, but the difference being that it started unedited on [adultswim], drew too many young viewers so it was heavily edited during the next arc and moved to Toonami on weekdays, then when that also failed or drew too many complaints, the last two arcs were still heavily edited and relegated to the 5-6 am Saturday morning deathslot along with Gundam SEED.

As for the content of D.Gray-Man, yes it could be edited/censored down to work on a non-[as] timeslot, but I normally don't see Funi doing this. In fact, has any original Funi license been on CN ever? IIRC, every show they've put on that channel has gone to [as]. The only exceptions being One Piece, of course, which they got from 4Kids, and YYH, which was removed from [as]. ***EDIT: And yes, another exception being the Dragonball franchise, which they also obtained from another company, namely Pioneer, so my point still stands... /EDIT*** Another big non-quanitifiable factor is the animation quality. YYH looked much more 'cartoony' and therefore not as sinister, whereas DGM is very dark, both in content and animation style, and looks much better for it. You can edit the dialogue, and to a certain extent, the video of a series, but there's no way to edit the atmospheric darkness that permeates DGM as a series concept. It will either be on [as], some other latenight block as I proposed in another thread, or it won't air on CN at all...

Last edited by teh*darkness on Tue Sep 23, 2008 6:46 am; edited 2 times in total
Primus

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:08 pm Reply with quote
^DragonBall, DragonBall Z, and DragonBall GT did not air on [AS] as far as I know.
Deadmangunner

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 10:33 am Reply with quote
Well they could always air it on sic-fi or anime network. Which in turn would make it so they wouldn't have to edit it.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:28 pm Reply with quote
teh*darkness wrote:
***EDIT: And yes, another exception being the Dragonball franchise, which they also obtained from another company, namely Pioneer, so my point still stands... /EDIT***

Pardon the Internet meme, but lolwut?

FUNimation jointly held the license to the Dragonball series with Kidmark and/or DiC and had an agreement with Saban for leverage in getting the shows on the air in the first place. The only agreement with Pioneer that they had was when FUNimation decided to enter the home video market by putting out Dragonball Z tapes (namely the films). Pioneer only did the distribution (with their names on the boxes but still FUNi's property.) That agreement lasted a year or two until FUNimation decided that the company had become large enough to handle their own distribution, so they ended the agreement with Pioneer.

In short, they didn't buy the license off of Pioneer as they did with ONE PIECE. They held the license (first jointly, then completely independently) almost since the company's founding.
RogueJedi86

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 4:32 pm Reply with quote
I though teh*darkness was referring to the Canadian Dub of DBZ, where the "Over 9000" meme came from(Brian Drummon's Vegeta). Didn't that come before Funimation's dub? Or did Funimation simply get Ocean to dub it before taking on the duty themselves?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:17 am Reply with quote
RogueJedi86 wrote:
I though teh*darkness was referring to the Canadian Dub of DBZ, where the "Over 9000" meme came from(Brian Drummon's Vegeta). Didn't that come before Funimation's dub? Or did Funimation simply get Ocean to dub it before taking on the duty themselves?

FUNimation used to outsource their voice-talent to Ocean (a lot of people used to) but they brought it in-house, I want to say, somewhere between 1999 and 2000?
KH3Chaser

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 9:32 pm Reply with quote
it is time for cartoon network to step down all they have is dumb crap that no one understands its time for the good anime to get a new home time to bring back places like tech tv plases that are all anime all the time no dumb crap dark anime like d gray man dosnt deserve to be downgraded by an unappriecative freak like audlt swim who would edit the religion out of it so u wouldnt get the real d gray man i think adult swim can be as bad as 4kids to anime time to cast aside the burden that is A.S. there is no longer toonamie and it seems to me like there animes are desintigrating of the lsit its time for anime toget an appriecitve home, darker than balck, d gray man, fma2, code geass r2, oran highschool, bleach, naruto shippuden and many more need a better home than cartoon netwrok/as tech tv someone come up from the dust of ur g4 grave or someone and save anime from hell and bring them into the light of a warm caring hometime to let as just have its freak retard show(not including fmaily guy) and leave anime for the pros.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2