• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Shelf Life - The Jungle

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
Wait, I was paying too much attention to the figures before. Unless I'm just not seeing it, this guy doesn't own Cowboy Bebop, owns a bootleg of FLCL, and owns all of what's been released of Naruto so far. Forget the figures, his wife should be mad at him about that! Geeze.

Agreed with the second (down with bootlegs!), but even though Bebop is my favorite anime, I don't expect everyone to like it. And likewise, you should not expect everyone to dislike Naruto (I own the 9 boxsets and two movies that have been released so far). Different strokes for different people, dude.
stopher87

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:44 pm Reply with quote
By the look of his shelves he has more then a few bootleg DVDs to be ashamed of.
pixiebell

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 3:57 pm Reply with quote
I could never get in to "One Piece" either it is just not my thing I guess.

That is quite a large collection but it would bug me to no end to have to move several figurines in order to actually watch any anime. Confused
Mohawk52

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
and has let me come to understand my own personality in ways that spandexed superheroes simply cannot.
Yeah spandex can never compare to a cotton G-string. It's just not as absorbent

Last edited by Mohawk52 on Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:11 pm; edited 1 time in total
driverstart

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:09 pm Reply with quote
I'm getting Shin-Chan Season 1 Part 2 as soon as I have enough money for it.

For the collection this week, I must admit, that's a lot of girl figurines. Why do people ever spend money of these things? You can't read them like manga or watch them like anime. You just... look at them. It's just something I'll never understand.

From the collection, I have is Lucky Star, Naruto, School Rumble, Shuffle, Spirited Away, Naussica, and Mushishi. Not a single volume of manga I own that this person has.
Craeyst Raygal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:33 pm Reply with quote
It's very simple to understand, driverstart - he likes the characters and/or character designs.

When you're a fan, you own merchandise. Simple as that. I paid a handsome price for a cel of Mihoshi, not only from the Tenchi Muyo OAV, but from episode 4: "Mihoshi Falls From the Land of Stars" which is her first appearance in the franchise. The cel is from the first scene where she appears in her trademark sleeveless pink blouse and tan khakis.

It's the iconic image of her character - my all-time favorite character - and I own it. That's one of the major draws of figurines, posters, busts, action figures, and cels.

Other draws include the different interpretations of characters (a Bome rendition of Belldandy, for instance, is pretty different from a Max Factory Belldandy) or non-canon renditions of characters that pose them in a fun and uncommon setting (my buddy G-man has a Rei and Asuka in military garb pair, for instance).

Sometimes, enthusiasm goes beyond watching or reading. Sometimes, it's cosplay. Sometimes, it's fanart or fanfiction. And sometimes, it's merchandise collections. Welcome to fandom.
DuelLadyS

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 4:35 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
Other issue is some people like chocolate. Some people like vanilla.
Not everyone will like One Piece.

Which goes back to my original point... if I watch the first 2-4 episodes, say "I don't like it that much", most likely I'll be told 'keep watching, it gets good when X arc starts.' In other words, I'm expected to put in another half a day's worth of viewing before I hit the part where I might get into it. It's nothing personal against the show or anyone who likes it- goodness knows I have my fair share of shows people roll their eyes at (*Glances at her Astroboy box set*). I just think that if my attention isn't grabbed within the first few episodes, it's silly to expect me to stick around.

And for the record- Harry Potter's never sounded interesting enough to me to actually read. I attempted LoTR after reading and kinda liking the copy of The Two Towers grandpa gave me, but gave up about 3 chapters in when I tried Fellowship... it seems hobbits bore me something awful.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:34 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
Which goes back to my original point... if I watch the first 2-4 episodes, say "I don't like it that much", most likely I'll be told 'keep watching, it gets good when X arc starts.' In other words, I'm expected to put in another half a day's worth of viewing before I hit the part where I might get into it.

But that's not really the point most of us are trying to make. I know virtually no OP fans who actually dislike the early OP episodes. Just because a series gets progressively better doesn't mean there was anything wrong with its beginning.

If you actually disliked the series based on its first few episodes, I could understand. But to expect it to be incredible right from the get-go is a tad unreasonable. If you think it's good but not as good as what the hype was hinting at, that's probably (but not always) because you haven't reached the hooking point yet. The term "hooking point" isn't meant to convey that this is where the story suddenly becomes worthwhile, it's more of a "this is the point of no return, you are now hooked to this series". Generally, virtually no series are capable of hooking people in its first few episodes. You can tell there's potential for greatness as the series goes on, but it's unusual for it to be grabbing your full attention that early on.
Shadowrun20XX

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:42 pm Reply with quote
DuelLadyS wrote:
CCSYueh wrote:
Other issue is some people like chocolate. Some people like vanilla.
Not everyone will like One Piece.

Which goes back to my original point... if I watch the first 2-4 episodes, say "I don't like it that much", most likely I'll be told 'keep watching, it gets good when X arc starts.' In other words, I'm expected to put in another half a day's worth of viewing before I hit the part where I might get into it. It's nothing personal against the show or anyone who likes it- goodness knows I have my fair share of shows people roll their eyes at (*Glances at her Astroboy box set*). I just think that if my attention isn't grabbed within the first few episodes, it's silly to expect me to stick around.

And for the record- Harry Potter's never sounded interesting enough to me to actually read. I attempted LoTR after reading and kinda liking the copy of The Two Towers grandpa gave me, but gave up about 3 chapters in when I tried Fellowship... it seems hobbits bore me something awful.
The series isn't for you,if you can't get into the somewhat,slow character development.But like the title says,One piece is truly a grand adventure.It's not meant for those,who don't want to wait for the story to develop.It's over 360+ episodes already.You can't just try a few episodes of this particular anime,because everyone in Luffy's crew has a deep backstory,that is explained (ellipse to childhood) to a degree that will make you laugh,cry and cheer.This series has a lot of emotion.You watch as Luffy builds his crew,acquires a ship and then sets out for One Piece.It's like a huge RPG,and you just quit a couple of hours into it.You say you have the Astroboy box set? I'm guessing it's the newer show.(My buddy just picked that up.) If you have the patience for Astroboy,I know you can watch at least 50 episodes of One Piece.Or maybe you weren't feeling it that day.I say it could also be the last series you just wrapped up,or are still on that can have an effect on what you watch next.

Shelf Life shelves:Nice collection of PVC.I've seen pics of all of your resin kits,when they were first introduced,throughout the years.I thought to myself "someone's gotta be buying these" and sure enough,the proof is in those pics.

Last edited by Shadowrun20XX on Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:55 pm; edited 1 time in total
narutoismybrother

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:43 pm Reply with quote
Wow. I don't know if your wife is understanding or completely oblivious.
Keonyn
Subscriber

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 5:53 pm Reply with quote
I've never understood the appeal to One Piece personally. My friend loved the show, and made me watch a good 30 episodes or more, and I never got in to it. In fact, I found it to be a chore to sit through at times, as entire episodes were sometimes the prelude to a fight or just banter tossed between two characters until someone did their special move. It was as artificial, and unimpressive as anything I've watched. Consider how horrible the dub was supposed to be, I'm really glad I never saw that version, as the fansubs were awful enough.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
skyesage

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:13 pm Reply with quote
This guy has awesome taste in anime, but his figures are raaaather terrifying. I mean...I dunno. I'm impressed.

But the thing about superhero comics kind of bothered me. Maybe its just superhero comics today or something--but a lot of superhero comics are actually fairly interesting on an emotional level as well (see: Runaways, for example).

And also that there are, of course, some amazing American comics being put out or that were put out (see: Maus and DMZ).

I don't know, maybe superhero comics are rather emotionless/hollow/whatever, but I still sort of see that as a blanket statement about American comics as a whole, which really isn't all that fair.

....Aaaaaand this isn't Answerman. Great column this week--I kind of want to try Shin-chan some time.
ikillchicken

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:27 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Who said it wasn't good BEFORE that? It's just at that point it goes from good to great and keeps getting better as time goes on. So it might be at "rental" level right now, but it soon goes into "buy" level as time goes on.

Now for those of fully caught up with the series, we shake at our heads at those who are judging it simply by earlier episodes and don't realize what they're missing out on.

In fact, can't this be said about tons of anime, or fiction altogether? Bebop's first 4 episodes aren't as impressive as the ones afterwards. Harry Potter's first two books pale in comparison to the later books. But neither one is actually bad in the early stages, ut's simply not as good as what comes later. That's not poor writing, that's taking time to establish story/characters and THEN getting to the really good stuff.

Well, I guess that's the main point of dissension. For me, Bebop's first 4 episodes were definitely still highly enjoyable. The first two Harry Potters didn't have the same level of depth as the latter ones, but they were still a hell of a lot of fun to read. It took more than that for me to become truly hooked on either of those things but I still enjoyed them a lot to begin with. With OP, it just wasn't particularilly good. If you feel like it was still pretty entertaining right from the start then yeah, I can understand where you had no problem sticking with it. You have to factor in the length here too though. Even if the first few episodes of a 26 episode series are just okay, that's a pretty short amount of time. I'm willing to give something a few episodes to develop. With shounen series though you're talking about a lot more time. You can't really fault people for not being willing to stick it out and put that much time into something that they don't really enjoy much in the first place just because it improves later on. Something that takes that long to develop is pretty poor from their perspective. it comes down to a question of whether or not it is enjoyable enough that you don't mind sticking with it. Some people think it is, some don't.
Monster in a box

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:36 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
Monster in a box wrote:
Wait, I was paying too much attention to the figures before. Unless I'm just not seeing it, this guy doesn't own Cowboy Bebop, owns a bootleg of FLCL, and owns all of what's been released of Naruto so far. Forget the figures, his wife should be mad at him about that! Geeze.

Agreed with the second (down with bootlegs!), but even though Bebop is my favorite anime, I don't expect everyone to like it. And likewise, you should not expect everyone to dislike Naruto (I own the 9 boxsets and two movies that have been released so far). Different strokes for different people, dude.

I never said I didn't LIKE Naruto (I'm at work when it's on, so I've only seen up to episode 70some), but to own THAT MUCH Naruto (and other shows of lesser quality) when you can get Cowboy Bebop for $30 just isn't right. Hmph.
Rednal

PostPosted: Mon Sep 22, 2008 6:49 pm Reply with quote
For One Piece... true, the beginning few arcs aren't especially noteworthy (I dunno about the first episode; through a strange series of coincidences, I've never seen it). However, once more of the characters are added to the mix (roughly, oh, about the time the characters enter the Grand Line) and you start seeing the real opponents, the series is definitely one I believe most people should watch. And not just because it features a stretchy guy. Anime hyper All I can say is 'Keep at it'.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5