• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
How would I take a site down?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 8:40 am Reply with quote
I found a anime website that sells 100% bootlegs. Not one legit item in their store. My question is, what would I do and/or who would I write an e-mail to to get rid of this site?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
littlegreenwolf

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 12:43 pm Reply with quote
I don't think there's much you can do to get them taken down. If they're paying for their webspace, the web server probably can't do anything. And well, if they're originated from Hong Kong or wherever bootleges come from, it's probably legal there. I'm not good with legal stuff. I dunno, maybe give the link to a company that sells the legit version and see if they can shut them down.
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 3:43 pm Reply with quote
Jinchuu wrote:
I found a anime website that sells 100% bootlegs. Not one legit item in their store. My question is, what would I do and/or who would I write an e-mail to to get rid of this site?

if they sell bootlegs of licensed titles, report them to the various companies whose rights they're violating (Viz, ADV, Geneon, whatever).

if they only sell unlicensed animation, you can still report them directly to the Japanese companies (if you're aware of who holds the license, and if you speak Japanese to a degree capable of explaning what's going on).

that's about the best you can do. when reported, the companies usually act quickly to defend their product rights.. even the japanese companies, when informed, will move to defend themselves.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
GirlyMan

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:01 pm Reply with quote
grr...I really do hate bootlegs.
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 4:26 pm Reply with quote
The best solution for immediate action is to call their ISP and let them know what's going on on their servers. I took down a guy who was bootlegging hollywood films and calling them "pre-release DVDs" that way. His ISP took one look, shut him down, and reported him to local law enforcement and the MPAA

He got nailed too Smile
Rozzer

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:33 pm Reply with quote
Whoa, nice Very Happy
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 8:05 am Reply with quote
Well, I sent a few e-mails yesterday to the companies that license the anime's which are being bootlegged. Hopefully one of them will be inclinde to stop getting ripped off and shut that place down.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address My Anime My Manga
Rozzer

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 1:53 pm Reply with quote
You did the right thing, I'll keep my fingers crossed for ya Anime smile
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 5:02 pm Reply with quote
Well, thank you. While I have not been sent any reply and the site is still there, If anything occurs then I'll be sure to post it here.

I would have to say, this place is pretty full of boots. All FX and MAC stuff. :!:BUY LEGIT PEOPLE:!:
Sword of Whedon

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 9:58 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Whoa, nice

Yeah, the guy was nice enough to post his business license to his website which included his home address and phone Wink
Rozzer

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 10:54 pm Reply with quote
Sword of Whedon wrote:
Quote:
Whoa, nice

Yeah, the guy was nice enough to post his business license to his website which included his home address and phone Wink

Good for him, now he'll be easier to track down and be hung by his finger nails and whiped with a wet noodle Anime smile + sweatdrop
GirlyMan

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 11:05 am Reply with quote
Nice to see justice done.
RedvsBlue

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 3:35 pm Reply with quote
Wow, I forgot I made this Anime smile"

I got a reply from the company who does a majority of the bootlegging on that site, someone "claiming" to be a represenative of FX the well-known bootleging company. They said I cannot shut them down because where they are based it is legal to bootleg.

I personally think it's a crock of s*!t and I know that there really isn't many places if any you can bootleg legally. But does anyone have any other suggestions? No one replied to my other e-mails and none of the companies actually seem to care.

If anyone else would like to try help me out and send a few e-mails, I can give you name of the bootlegging website *NOT to buy stuff from them* and then we could all try sending some e-mails to the owners of the anime which is being bootlegged there.

Any help?! Smile
Emerje

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 4:31 pm Reply with quote
Jinchuu wrote:
They said I cannot shut them down because where they are based it is legal to bootleg.

I personally think it's a crock of s*!t and I know that there really isn't many places if any you can bootleg legally.

Unfortunalty this is true. In Hong Kong they don't follow the international licnesing laws (though they claim they do) and a blind eye is turned on these practices.

Attacking them at the root won't get you anywhere. The best thing to do is to report domestic sites that sell them. Forign sites are out of reach and too costly to persue, but one on the same shores as the companies being violated are more likely to get nailed. Stop the sales end and the producers are more likely to feel it through a loss of profit.

However, the only thing that can really stop these bootlegers is law enforcement in their own countries. There's little that we as a whole can do over here to touch them.

I do find it a bit odd that distributers will go after a nonprofit fan sub group as soon as they get the slightest notion of them subbing licensed titles, but go slower when it comes to stores selling bootlegs. Maybe they just figure it's easier to threaten kids than to take legal action against adults. Confused

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
cookie
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Mon May 31, 2004 7:04 pm Reply with quote
Although I know the Japanese government has giant mecha available at its disposal, I don't think China would accept a military invasion in the name of preserving anime companies.. and that's really the only way to guarantee a drastic change in policies over there.. the only other possibility is to wait it out and hope that less corrupt politicians come into power and use their authority in a proper manner.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Industry -> Retail All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2