• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Crunchyroll to Premiere Time of Eve in English/French

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Takeyo

PostPosted: Tue Sep 23, 2008 10:58 pm Reply with quote
@hikaru: Do we know that Eve no Jikan won't see a traditional R1 release? There are still four more parts to be released in Japan, after all. I could see all six segments being compiled onto a DVD and released in both regions once it has finished its run. Also, don't forget that this is an ONA, which typically don't see a "traditional release" anyway.
Big Hed

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 2:53 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Also, don't forget that this is an ONA, which typically don't see a "traditional release" anyway.

I was kind of upset about this too, but you do have a point that it's an ONA. Having said that, I don't think such releases in general bode well for the future of traditional distribution channels. However, no matter how much I love DVDs, I concede that the shift to digital probably is -- and rightfully so -- inevitable. And in the end, what I care most about is actually getting my anime, not how I get it.

Back to the topic at hand, this is cool news. I've been interested in Time of Eve since it was announced, so I'm happy to be able to download it to own legally, DRM free. That's a solid step in the right direction. Yeah, the show is a little pricey if the $2 number is referring to each 15 minute act, but that will still only come to $12 for 90 minutes overall, which is comparable to today's DVD prices (not to mention faster availability, albeit without a dub).
Kireek

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 4:32 am Reply with quote
abstract-alchemist wrote:
I'm still unclear as to why corporations still are promoting/supporting Crunchyroll

Money.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:47 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
@hikaru: Do we know that Eve no Jikan won't see a traditional R1 release? There are still four more parts to be released in Japan, after all. I could see all six segments being compiled onto a DVD and released in both regions once it has finished its run. Also, don't forget that this is an ONA, which typically don't see a "traditional release" anyway.

ONAs do see a traditional R1 release. Zaion ~i wish you were there~ was an ONA in R2 that saw a traditional release in R1 IIRC. However, Time of Eve sold off its internet rights in R1 and R2(France) to Crunchyroll for the quick buck so it's not as desireable to the R1 or R2 (Europe) distributors who won't have the whole package. Remember these guys sell their titles over the internet now also and CR is now impinging on that aspect of their business. It would have gotten more business with placement on iTunes by an R1 distributor. It will only have some hope of a traditional R1 release now if they don't go beyond Acts 1 and 2 on Crunchyroll.

We can see the effects of this by watching to see how long ToD, Blassreiter and Strike Witches take to get a traditional R1 release.

Edit: It also would have been cheaper on iTunes (prob $7.99 for its entirety if its repackaged as a movie which was the cost of Robotech: The Shadow Chronicles or $1.99 x 3 if its broken up into 3 episodes of 2 vignettes each).

Last edited by hikaru004 on Wed Sep 24, 2008 7:11 am; edited 1 time in total
hikaru004

PostPosted: Wed Sep 24, 2008 6:54 am Reply with quote
Kireek wrote:
abstract-alchemist wrote:
I'm still unclear as to why corporations still are promoting/supporting Crunchyroll

Money.

GONZO also has a stake in it now.
Flaed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:50 am Reply with quote
My first thought: that's great! Second thought: Crunchyroll? Confused

Dang. I've been. . .well, not exactly boycotting, but avoiding the Crunchyroll legal streams and downloads until I'm sure they've shut down the other side of their business. On the other hand, I really want to see this, and a not unreasonably priced, DRM-free download sounds awfully tempting. And I guess I owe Crunchyroll something for footing the bill to finish the dub of Welcome to the NHK.

I guess I'll wait and see what people say about the video quality, because I've been really interested in this ever since I first heard about it.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 10:43 am Reply with quote
Flaed wrote:
And I guess I owe Crunchyroll something for footing the bill to finish the dub of Welcome to the NHK.

Mind sharing your source of this tidbit? I was under the impression that releasing the end of NHK was strictly between FUNimation and Sojitz, with CR just reaping the benefits thanks to the GONZO backing.

As another person who's avoiding CR until it removed the unauthorized content from its site, I'm still holding out hope that Eve no Jikan will be made available on another site with a less questionable history.
Flaed

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:04 am Reply with quote
Takeyo wrote:
Flaed wrote:
And I guess I owe Crunchyroll something for footing the bill to finish the dub of Welcome to the NHK.

Mind sharing your source of this tidbit? I was under the impression that releasing the end of NHK was strictly between FUNimation and Sojitz, with CR just reaping the benefits thanks to the GONZO backing.

If I understand him correctly, Greg Ayres. Relevant text:

Greg Ayres wrote:
14:01:42 <bay> Crunchyroll... thats a weird topic... because they moved legal...
14:01:50 <bay> Gonzo and ADV are trying it out...
14:01:57 <bay> thanks to that... I just finished recording NHK this week

I also thought this came up at Otakon, but I can't find anything definite about that. There is this, though:

Crunchyroll wrote:
13:33:02 <bay> q: dubs with any other companies?
13:33:18 <bay> a: adv did the dub but.. yea... dubbing is very expensive... baby steps and all
13:33:30 <bay> right now, where we're at, we can't recoup those costs, but maybe in the future

I mean the dub specifically, for what it's worth; the dub was finished before ADV lost its license to the show (I think). The work on the dub was stopped for a time and then re-started, so if I'm reading that right then Crunchyroll helped to complete the dubbing of the show. I could be completely off, though, which would be nice because then I guess I would owe them nothing at all.
Takeyo

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 11:47 am Reply with quote
Interesting. I guess maybe CR did have a part to play in finishing the dub, then. I hate to think that the fate of the dub was in question even before the ADV-Sojitz fallout, though. I hate even more the thought of CR riding in like a white knight to save the day. . . . >.<
hikaru004

PostPosted: Thu Sep 25, 2008 9:40 pm Reply with quote
Well you won't know the details on the financing until ADV spills it. Besides if CR really funded rest of the dub, it would find its way back on CR or they will be in the credits on the DVD release.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2