• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Bandai Entertainment to Ship Sola, True Tears in DVD Boxes

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 10:43 pm Reply with quote
Emerje:
Quote:
If a series doesn't get a dub I black list it which is too bad because there's a lot of shows that I'd like to watch but just can't manage to undivide my time for. Plus I feel like I'm being cheated, they charge the same price on DVDs regardless of if there's a dub or not so I like to get my money's worth.

You're missing out on Memories and Millennium Actress that way.

Quote:
Plus I feel like I'm being cheated, they charge the same price on DVDs regardless of if there's a dub or not

And they charge the same price on regular dvds, regardless of whether or not there's a commentary or other extras. What's your point?
Mr. sickVisionz

PostPosted: Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:39 pm Reply with quote
Taiyz wrote:
Dorcas_Aurelia wrote:
Kougeru wrote:
rip off prices

$45 for 15 episodes is not a rip-off. Especially not for initial release.
At least it's CERTAINLY better than paying that price for 4-6 episodes which is what Bandai Visual was gonna do.

However, I will be there in a heartbeat when they get around to pushing Shigofumi out the door.

I've always come into great deals on getting new stuff. I got an Eva boxset for $45 (retails at 69.99) and Elfen Lied box for $19.99 thats usually $34.99.

Beacuse of that, $45 for 15 episodes seems like a bad price. I'll wait until true tears is in the $20s. I'd buy Shigofumi once it hit the 30s though. I enjoyed all of the early episodes.
Emerje

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:23 am Reply with quote
GATSU wrote:
You're missing out on Memories and Millennium Actress that way.

I'll live somehow.

Quote:
And they charge the same price on regular dvds, regardless of whether or not there's a commentary or other extras. What's your point?

What, full price on a "regular" DVD with no extras isn't a deal breaker for you? It is for me. If they want my money they've got to make it worth it to me.

Emerje
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 2:37 am Reply with quote
Dargonxtc wrote:
Quote:
There is no new word on the status of Shigofumi.

Hopefully because they are dubbing it. I think this one may warrant it.

Considering the social issues covered in that title in a "no holding back" manner, I'd agree that it deserves a dub and better packaging. Honneamise should also be the one to release it at a reasonable price to silence the Honneamise critics.
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:51 am Reply with quote
Uh, ain't Anime Legends the boxset label for things that have been out for Yoinks?
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 9:15 am Reply with quote
Conan-san wrote:
Uh, ain't Anime Legends the boxset label for things that have been out for Yoinks?

Looks like they've expanded their label to include "subtitled only releases that are going to cause us to lose money if we release it normally, like Media Blasters". Laughing
ZeetherKID77

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:13 am Reply with quote
At least we may get Shigofumi dubbed...
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 10:29 am Reply with quote
ZeetherKID77 wrote:
At least we may get Shigofumi dubbed...

Yep, gotta cross the fingers and toes and hope that Shigofumi avoids the AL brand and gets a dub.

I'm also hoping that Honneamise releases it at a reduced price so that we can get some good packaging, extras and a box (released with the first press of vol. 7 apparently). But that title hasn't fully released in Japan yet so waiting will definitely bring the price down.
kashicat

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 11:46 am Reply with quote
einhorn303 wrote:
Just goes to show how much anime is devalued in America...anime DVD's SHOULD cost 60-70 dollars per volume. That is the normal and natural price.

In the free market ideology, there is no such thing as a "normal and natural price." A price, supposedly, is whatever the market will bear.

So if the majority of people refuse to pay (or are unable to pay) a certain price for something, according to market ideology, it must go down. The lower price becomes the "normal and natural" price because the market (i.e. everyone who wants/doesn't want to buy the item) decides it is.

The thing everyone who talks about pricing always seems to forget is that sometimes people just don't have enough money. The companies keep trying to think up new ways to grab more and more and more money out of people's (often kids') pockets -- but at some point, there simply is no more money in those pockets. And all the "marketing strategies" and "streaming ads" and so on won't invent it.

So, as Bandai Visual USA discovered, the "normal and natural" price for DVDs in Japan was waaaaay different from the "normal and natural" price in North America. Their refusal to recognize what their own market had decided was likely one of the reasons they went belly up.
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger My Anime
Flaed

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:15 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Considering the social issues covered in that title in a "no holding back" manner, I'd agree that it deserves a dub and better packaging. Honneamise should also be the one to release it at a reasonable price to silence the Honneamise critics.

A dub is one thing, but - what's so bad about Bandai bricks? They are compact, fairly sturdy, and do a good job of keeping the discs safe. You don't get as much artwork, to be sure, but I feel better about my Cowboy Bebop brick than my Full Metal Panic!: The Second Raid digipack, which looks like it will fall apart if I breathe on it the wrong way - getting the discs in and out is a nightmare. I certainly feel better about it than my digipack for Gunbuster, as the discs have come loose from their hubs at least twice there. Confused

I mean, my favorite sort of release is an ADV-style thinpack, but as long as the discs are held securely I don't really see a problem. That's what packaging is for, right?
ConanSan

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 1:02 pm Reply with quote
hikaru004 wrote:
Conan-san wrote:

Looks like they've expanded their label to include "subtitled only releases that are going to cause us to lose money if we release it normally, like Media Blasters". Laughing
Oh right, thier "Abandoned on the snow filled streets of London because it's not Voltron" label?
vega427

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:07 pm Reply with quote
I can live with Sola not being dubed. I'm just happy that I can afford it now. $250 was just way too much for me.
Bluebeard

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 4:58 pm Reply with quote
Ooo, I've been waiting to hear news on titles I'm actually interested in Very Happy Well despite the Anime Legends box sets not exactly being aesthetically pleasing to the shelf, we'll finally be able to get some of those limbo-series' we've been waiting for. Looking forward to True Tears and Shigofumi, and $40-$45 (Retail) for a full set is a deal. Especially since it'll be closer to $30 or less if sales are taken advantage of.

Well, 2 down and 5 more series' I'm still hoping to hear news from.
hikaru004

PostPosted: Sat Sep 27, 2008 6:30 pm Reply with quote
Flaed wrote:
hikaru004 wrote:

A dub is one thing, but - what's so bad about Bandai bricks? They are compact, fairly sturdy, and do a good job of keeping the discs safe. You don't get as much artwork, to be sure, but I feel better about my Cowboy Bebop brick than my Full Metal Panic!: The Second Raid digipack, which looks like it will fall apart if I breathe on it the wrong way - getting the discs in and out is a nightmare. I certainly feel better about it than my digipack for Gunbuster, as the discs have come loose from their hubs at least twice there. Confused

I mean, my favorite sort of release is an ADV-style thinpack, but as long as the discs are held securely I don't really see a problem. That's what packaging is for, right?

No. Packaging is a part of the cost and selling point of the releases along with physical and video extras. Now Nozomi puts out nice thinpacks and their series are just as niche so there is no excuses for sloppy packaging nowadays. Even Viz can manage to put out a digpak that doesn't feel like it's going to fall apart with the cover art for each singles volume (Bleach). So again, no excuses for cutting corners.

kashicat wrote:

So, as Bandai Visual USA discovered, the "normal and natural" price for DVDs in Japan was waaaaay different from the "normal and natural" price in North America. Their refusal to recognize what their own market had decided was likely one of the reasons they went belly up.

Actually, they did pretty good in their first year. The merger was prob a simplification and precautionary measure. Bandai Ent also lost Anime Village in the merger so more was going on in the background than was said publically.
W-General

PostPosted: Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:21 am Reply with quote
Wow that's an amazing deal. $40 for True Tears. Bandai has my pockets in this one...except i am kinda sad that it's going straight the budget release without any extras. I love True Tears Anime cry
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5