• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: Gun Blaze West GN 3

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
GATSU

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 10:49 pm Reply with quote
Quote:
Churning out superhero-ripoff characters without any regard for plot,

You do know a big chunk of the bad guys in Kenshin were swiped from Marvel, right?

Quote:
trying to guess what the target audience wants instead of telling one's own story from the heart,

No, that's Buso Renkin. Rolling Eyes

Quote:
No more worrying about side characters, no more trying to develop the world and the backstory—it all comes down to Viu vs. Armor Baron, which is pretty much the best part of the book.

No, Armor Baron's a lame part of the book for people who only care about instant gratification. The setting and side characters are for people who want to get the most out of the experience.

Quote:
a guy equipped with bulletproof armor and powered by rocketry. (Forget historical accuracy; if you've read this far into the story, you don't care about that anymore.)

Ever seen Brisco County, Jr.? Or even Wild Wild West? [Ok, the second one's a bad example, but I'll still take GBW over WWW, at least.]

Quote:
Then comes a page-wasting battle between Armor Baron and a throwaway villain—look, if you want to show how strong he is, why not just show it in a battle with the main character?

Because that's not the point. It's to show what Van is up against in general.

Quote:
Yet even the way he wraps things up turns out clichéd, right down to a gimmicky cameo from a long-gone character.

Well, that depends entirely on how you interpret what happened to him in the first volume.

darkness: Actually, I thought Zombie Powder's art starts to blow half-way through the series.

slick:
Quote:
I've gotten used to this from Watsuki manga. He is the definition of "hack."

That's how I feel about Katsura and Oda.

Fronzel: I stopped liking KS's films after the Jay and Silent Bob comic book.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2