• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
REVIEW: One Piece DVD Season 1 Part 2

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ligene

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 8:05 am Reply with quote
Tempting, but no.

I've been waiting a while for OP reviews so that I'll be swayed one way or another to actually buy it, but I'll have to go with no. Your review made me almost reconsider it, though ;p
sena_h_dei

PostPosted: Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:05 pm Reply with quote
Funny, I marathon-ed the whole box set just today! Very Happy

God how I love this show! It'll always be #1 for me!
CCSYueh

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 12:46 pm Reply with quote
Funny, I don't see OP as a kids' show as much as a family show like The Flintstones was when I was a child or all the Looney Tunes cartoons. There's something in there for everyone to enjoy, but mom & dad don't have to worry about the pirates raping in their pilaging & plundering. There are a few bits that slide over the heads of the little ones that the teens can appreciate better, but it doesn't detract from anyone's enjoyment of the series.
Any adult comfortable with their age should have no problem enjoying anything they want to. Heaven knows I never look at the age or ratings of a movie. One can tell pretty much by the previews who the studio is aiming at which is usually defined even more with a television show by the slot it's plopped into.
However, thank you for the review. It did more to capture OP fans feel about the title-that it is fun. Not everything one does with one's life has to be deep & meaningful. Considering what's going on politically & fiscally in the US, we all need something fun we can laugh at while we wait for the next bank to implode.
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 1:13 pm Reply with quote
CCSYueh wrote:
but mom & dad don't have to worry about the pirates raping in their pilaging & plundering.

Actually, in a later episode (around 340), spoiler[Nami does get attacked while in the bathtub. Nothing happens, of course, but the attacker's intentions were pretty obvious].

I hesitate to call One Piece a "family show" even. When I think "something for the whole family", I think Pixar, Avatar, things like that. A show with a good amount of blood and fanservice doesn't really scream "family-viewing" to me (heck, a few One Piece scenes I'd probably feel uncomfortable watching with my family, like the scene described in the first paragraph). Of course, I'm sure some parents don't mind even stuff like that, but I know mine sure would have when I was little.
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 10:59 am Reply with quote
Oh dang, that reminds me, I gotta figure out when I'm gonna pick this thing up....... I'm mostly stocking up for Anime Banzai right now so my budget is very, very thin, and I might have to pick it up after the con craziness is all done and over with. But it's probably going to be the first thing I'm gonna go after, that's for sure!

I just gotta say though, in response to the part about how much Kuro oozes with villainy, that's pretty much true with all the villains in OP. One of the greatest things about it to me is just how horribly despicable they are and how much they really, really make you hate them, and then to see Luffy and crew come along with that fiery attitude of theirs and beat the crap out of them, I mean it doesn't get much more heroic and invigorating than that!
Toshirodragon

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 9:16 pm Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Wyvern wrote:
The difference is that One Piece KNOWS it's a kids show, and chooses to embrace and have fun with this fact, while so many of its contemporaries chose to descend into pretentious whininess (keep in mind that this show made its debut during the heyday of Evangelion-style "serious" action shows.)

Yeah, but Evangelion wasn't a kids' show, and it was aimed at an older audience... you know what? Let's not argue. One Piece is fun, and just because (at age 24) I've sort of outgrown it doesn't make it any less so.

I'm 43 and adore the series, well except for Skypeia, that thing dragged on FOREVER!
But the first part of the series is pure cracked out fun!
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger My Anime My Manga
Kid Ryan

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:55 pm Reply with quote
I have seen episodes 1-23 of this version so far, and I must say that I love the animation & visual quality and sound a lot better than the 4Kids version.

I didn't agree with some of the main character's voices at first, but I eventually got used to hearing them to the point where they sound decent/alright Anime smile.

If I could rate this, I'd give it a 8/10. The reason why it's not a 9 or 10 out of 10 is because its a long series and has fillers (Grrr).

By the way, does anyone here know when the One Piece Season One Third Voyage DVD will be released? I'd like to know ahead of time so I can start saving up the cash needed to buy it Very Happy. (I plan on pre-ordering it at a store.)

Last edited by Kid Ryan on Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:20 am; edited 1 time in total
Brack

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 3:37 am Reply with quote
Son-kun wrote:
I also love how the directors handle the filler by usually adding it at the end of every major story arc so that won't interrupt in the middle of an arc. Something that Studio Pierrot (Naruto, Bleach) really needs to learn.

To be fair, One Piece's structure lends itself to inserting original material more than Naruto and Bleach do. One Piece has natural conclusions (the Straw Hats leave whatever island they are at) whereas Naruto and Bleach tend to be one long flow of story.

Which is why I love One Piece so, the various distinct stories with their own conclusions have kept it fresh for 10 years.
jr240483

PostPosted: Sat Oct 11, 2008 3:48 am Reply with quote
vashfanatic wrote:
Wanna know why One Piece "isn't revolutionary, insightful, or even particularly smart or original" and "just massive fun"? Because it's a kid's show!!!

I know, a lot of people don't believe this, but I've had several Japanese people confirm this for me. It's aimed at the 14-and-under crowd. Not that there's anything wrong with that, you can love a show that's meant for younger kids (I enjoyed it early on, I'll admit), but don't try to pretend this is super mature or anything.

Anyhoo, I eventually got bored with it when it started to draaaag, a problem in a lot of long-running series (and why I have stopped watching most of them). Fortunately this section is before that happening, and I remember it fondly.

And that's why there was the 4kids version(Which i enjoyed to watch and will watch over again) in order to bring the younger audience to the series like with naruto,However, viz media should've gotten the license for the series from the start and do the same thing to one piece like what they naruto.Don't you think so?
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
jr240483

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 12:48 pm Reply with quote
Monster in a box wrote:
I thought Edward Elric did a good job with the OPs. The EDs aren't great, but they could be worse.

Actually they said that it was Vic who did the OP. They're fine cause it's mostly a habit of funi to do that,though the 4kids OP for one piece was a little more addictive. However what i really hope is that they used the Original Openings and Endings. The're more superior.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
doctordoom85

PostPosted: Fri Nov 28, 2008 9:01 pm Reply with quote
jr0904 wrote:
Monster in a box wrote:
I thought Edward Elric did a good job with the OPs. The EDs aren't great, but they could be worse.

Actually they said that it was Vic who did the OP.

Um, Vic IS Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist).
jr240483

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:59 pm Reply with quote
doctordoom85 wrote:
jr0904 wrote:
Monster in a box wrote:

Actually they said that it was Vic who did the OP.

Um, Vic IS Edward Elric (Fullmetal Alchemist).

Really.I though it was Eric Vale who did Edward Elric. My bad.
Mr Sinister

PostPosted: Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:17 pm Reply with quote
Is there any news for a Third Voyage review anytime soon if at all?
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2