• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
NEWS: Italian Volleyball Team Puts One Piece on Uniforms

Goto page Previous  1, 2

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BrothersElric

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 9:41 pm Reply with quote
Ha ha! I think I've just found my One Piece T-shirt I've always wanted to buy! Anime hyper Awesome to hear some much needed love for One Piece here. Now someone just has to wear those uniforms with Naruto on it and it'll be all set! Anime hyper
AirCooledMan_2006

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:36 pm Reply with quote
Jacut wrote:
GATSU wrote:
Wouldn't it make more sense to have them wear Captain Tsubasa shirts?

Wouldn't it make more sense to have them wear Attacker You! shirts instead? Remember that Captain Tsubasa is an anime about football and not volley ball, and Attacker You! is incredibly popular in Europe even now (it's called Jeanne et Serge in France, Mila e Shiro due cuori nella pallavolo in Italy etc...). Moreover, Monkey D. Luffy is the rubber boy, so it relates to volley ball somewhat, where players must jump higher than their counterparts, so it may not be such a bad idea...

For a minute there I was thinking of real American football, not what we call soccer. Why can't Europeans call it SOCCER instead? What do they think will happen?

But that aside, seeing as how Luffy's a rubber man, and volleyball players have to jump pretty high, the shirts make sense. I think it's pretty damn boss for volleyball players to wear them.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Repute

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 10:45 pm Reply with quote
I personally believe this is cool, and all, but I can't help but feel this isn't plainly a couple fans saying adolescently "Hey I'm a One Piece fan!", and am sure there is some underlying message.

This is the typical result of what happens when one---two obsessed fans feel that their most favoritest thing in the world, doesn't get the attention they feel it deserves. They do something so outright and absurd, in attempts to somehow promote it, or metaphorically speaking "wave a flag saying: "C'mon, watch One Piece. Buy One Piece. Screw Dragon Ball & Naruto. Stop watching & buying Dragon Ball.""

I've rarely seen this sort of thing done with anything else, and if I have, I'm sure the probable cause to it is that the entire athletic team is in some way, shape or form, passionate about the icon they like to "flash / show off", and in no real fashion are they attempting to promote it, possibly because it needs no assistance in promotion[Fact being, it's actually popular, and making money]. This, is like, an act of jealousy, or one of the bias tendencies of fans inside the anime fandom. As I said, it's pretty typical.

Contrar to this, it's obvious there are other similarities, one being that a member pointed out Volleyball can relate to Luffy's special abilities. It still seems like a stretch though. This sort of relationship of elements & similarities can be present in many things. This, is just bizarre.

If I were the coach of a highschool football team, I'd run a vote on who watches Dragon Ball. I'd probably find that 80% of them do, and then I'd tell them we're going to have Goku placed on the back of the jersey of the QB, Vegeta placed on the back of the jersey of the running back, and Piccolo placed on the back of the jersey of the defensive. Goku, being the backbone of the cartoon who always launches the hardest hits, Vegeta being the offensive anti-hero looking to earn the points for himself, and Piccolo being the saint who protects his allies Rolling Eyes. Oh, also that in football, people launch small objects from their hands and run at fast speeds! +2!
kynoki

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:17 pm Reply with quote
were dose dragonball fit in to any of this Laughing
britannicamoore

PostPosted: Wed Oct 01, 2008 11:29 pm Reply with quote
I would love one of these. I hope they are available to buy, it'd get one.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
CruzMissile

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 3:07 am Reply with quote
wow I want one lol.....

isn't it distracting for the other team though to have luffy staring at you the entire game? hahah
Akagami Kite

PostPosted: Thu Oct 02, 2008 9:26 pm Reply with quote
This post is not trying to be rude to anyone so please.

Repute wrote:
I personally believe this is cool, and all, but I can't help but feel this isn't plainly a couple fans saying adolescently "Hey I'm a One Piece fan!", and am sure there is some underlying message.

To be honest, half of the One Piece Fan Base Watched Naruto before One Piece, and dismissed it as nothing more than a stupid show. But when they actually got to watch it in its Original glory, they loved it. The fact that most Naruto Fans only watch just Naruto and whats on TV and think that Naruto is the single best show since Dragon Ball.

The fact that practically the latter quarter of the Naruto fans are testosterone charged tweens that haven't even watched One Piece and the other quarter is full of people who call One Piece Dumb leaving a good 50% of the fans who have watched One Piece and other Series besides Naruto.

Quote:

This is the typical result of what happens when one---two obsessed fans feel that their most favoritest thing in the world, doesn't get the attention they feel it deserves.

Now-Now, don't be jealous that One Piece has the spotlight because it is popular outside the states.

As in America. The fact that One Piece wasn't portrayed the way it is supposed to be in the U.S. practically gave that right to the series (But it never did get that). The fact that it was butchered by two companies. Viz and 4kids.

Quote:
They do something so outright and absurd, in attempts to somehow promote it, or metaphorically speaking "wave a flag saying: "C'mon, watch One Piece. Buy One Piece. Screw Dragon Ball & Naruto. Stop watching & buying Dragon Ball.""

Yeah, and it's not like Toei is the one who animated Dragon Ball. Oh wait, they did..

But seriously, you're saying that Toei cannot do this but Marvel can? Toei isn't saying "Screw Dragon ball! Watch One Piece!" because they wouldn't do that to their first top selling series. Naruto I understand because that series is becoming too over-hyped.

Quote:

I've rarely seen this sort of thing done with anything else, and if I have, I'm sure the probable cause to it is that the entire athletic team is in some way, shape or form, passionate about the icon they like to "flash / show off", and in no real fashion are they attempting to promote it, possibly because it needs no assistance in promotion[Fact being, it's actually popular, and making money]. This, is like, an act of jealousy, or one of the bias tendencies of fans inside the anime fandom. As I said, it's pretty typical.

Hah, this is not an act of Jealousy on Toei's side. IF it were, Toei would be sponsoring the whole match. This is not a bias tendencies of the fans inside the anime fandom. If it were Naruto and everyone on the team wore Naruto icons, then it is a bias tendency. Overall, it is not typical, it's normal. Get over it. Don't blame One Piece for getting the love in Italy and not other series getting it. This is its moment, not others.

Besides, this is a good turn for ONE PIECE because the fact that America "Gave it the finger and Kicked it in its groin", it is show that One Piece is still known some where else.

I'm just surprised that the Haruhi Fandom haven't reached that yet in Italy.

Quote:

Contrar to this, it's obvious there are other similarities, one being that a member pointed out Volleyball can relate to Luffy's special abilities. It still seems like a stretch though. This sort of relationship of elements & similarities can be present in many things. This, is just bizarre.

And Also the fact that Luffy wants to be the person with the most freedom. And with that, "Libero" usually means free or freedom. IN Latins Case, Freedman. Luffy is known to do freely what he wants. And the fact that he freely switches with his crew when in battle so he can fight. It's just plain coincidence and the fact found that Luffy is much closer to the "Libero" out of most of their Character Roster.

Times mentioned Naruto in Post: 11
Times mentioned One Piece in Post: 11
Times mention Toei in post: 5
Hon'ya-chan

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 1:06 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:
For a minute there I was thinking of real American football, not what we call soccer. Why can't Europeans call it SOCCER instead? What do they think will happen?

Rioting and Hooliganism.

----------------

Also, TOKYOPOP can fund some Drift cars in Formula D with Initial D......ah wait, nevermind.

http://speedhunters.com/archive/2008/06/10/gallery-gt-gt-d1-tokyo-drift-demo-runs-performances.aspx

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PI99dVRhFjg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHBtlbpG7qo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nP7xgwJ2YJs

They will never do something like this without [expletive] it up royally.
Moonsault

PostPosted: Fri Oct 03, 2008 6:16 am Reply with quote
AirCooledMan_2006 wrote:

Nah, find another name for your American Football then. I know that American media always says that 1 billion people around the world watches the Super Bowl ... what the f... ? No one outside the USA wants to watch American Football, so find another name. What about "SFFP = Sports for fat people"? Wink
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2