• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - M.D. Geist

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
braves

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:58 am Reply with quote
I saw this one last night, and it was truly a masterpiece. This anime is definitely one of those "so bad, that it's good" pieces of work. It was all just mindless violence. I've never laughed that much at how bad something can be. Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

And this trivia in the Encyclopedia, and that was mentioned in the article, makes me sad:

Quote:
MD Geist was one of the first anime titles to break into the Billboard's Top 10 video charts in the US. This success paved the way for a director's cut and the funding of the unfinished sequel.

Though, I guess people bought it thinking that it would be a great comedy to show their friends. Neutral

Sci-Fi will be showing the sequel on Monday. I'll definitely be tuning in. Cool
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 12:23 pm Reply with quote
Please note that it doesn't say which Billboard video chart. I never once saw this mysterious chart in my years at CPM, and I'm SURE it would have come up at some point.

BTW, Salaryman Joe, I don't for a minute buy that story about the licensing of Odin. I think that was licensed as part of a package from Gaga Communications back in the day.
Hunter Sopko

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 2:54 pm Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:
Please note that it doesn't say which Billboard video chart. I never once saw this mysterious chart in my years at CPM, and I'm SURE it would have come up at some point.

Same, but the one featuring Battle Arena Toshinden was always prominently displayed!
The Unknown 24

PostPosted: Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:01 pm Reply with quote
I borrowed(from a friend) and copied MD Geist 1 and 2 to a vhs tape back in the day. I wanted both shows on one tape.

It was just a show to watch and waste some time. In my own opinion it is worth seeing once or twice.

Back when it came out on vhs( 1992), the anime industry (as far as getting a market in the USA) was still in it's infant stage.

Now we have a lot better anime selection to choose from.

MD Geist was not all that bad considering the way anime was in that time period.

But we all have our own opinion, you like what you like and I like what I like, etc...

Very Happy Twisted Evil Very Happy
lord-darkseid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 8:52 am Reply with quote
Did you do Odin for the Buried Garbage segment yet?

That's become my nominee for worst anime ever.
jsevakis
Former ANN Editor in Chief

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:31 pm Reply with quote
No Odin yet. My personal rule is that I have to watch at least half of a Buried Garbage (without skipping around or fast-forwarding) if I'm going to write as if I've evaluated it fully. I have yet to be able to get through more than 10% of Odin.
Descent123

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:22 pm Reply with quote
Harmagedon when you have the chance. Razz

Terrible.
Lee1981

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:54 pm Reply with quote
How about Cybernetics Guardian, and that way you'd have the whole trilogy of Koichi Ohata? Smile
Descent123

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 5:15 pm Reply with quote
Lee1981 wrote:
How about Cybernetics Guardian, and that way you'd have the whole trilogy of Koichi Ohata? Smile

I can't call it crap, but it's not good either.
LeoKnight25

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:31 pm Reply with quote
Forget the hate for M.D. Geist, what's up with all the hate for Odin? While not on par with Yamato, it's still a fun movie. I've seen the movie at least 5 times since it came out and I've never been bored with it. Sure, it's a bit long in parts at 139 minutes but, that's nothing compared to Final Yamato at 161 minutes. Anyway, length aside, I still stand by enjoying the heck out of both Odin and M.D. Geist. Admittedly, the director's cut for Geist and part II are both trash but, the original first part is fun. This is what I don't understand about most anime fans: how damned judgmental they are about certain periods of anime's history. Sometimes folks just take things way too far. I think everyone and their dead grandmother has reviewed M.D. Geist, Harmageddon and Odin; and I personally believe that the bashing is just getting a bit old.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger
lord_darkseid

PostPosted: Sun Oct 05, 2008 11:16 pm Reply with quote
Well, for me personally, I loved Final Yamato, and hated Odin. After collecting for 20 years, I don't bash on periods of anime, but not everything in those periods was good to me. I enjoyed the space opera film era, but not all of the films, hence my dislike for Odin. Biggest waste of resources I've ever seen in an anime. One day I'll have to write a piece about it. Harmageddon... hmmm.. I bought it but haven't sat down to watch, even though I liked Rin Taro's 80's films. Ah well, one day...
Kruszer

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 2:44 am Reply with quote
*Shudders* Hmm...yeah I saw this one on Sci-Fi last week as well and have to agree it's pretty awful.
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:53 am Reply with quote
LeoKnight25 wrote:
This is what I don't understand about most anime fans: how damned judgmental they are about certain periods of anime's history.

I'll echo lord_darkseid's comments that it's not so much bashing any one specific time period. If anything, I'll err on the sides of older stuff from the seventies and eighties but not all of it was gold, hence why there's Buried garbage as well as treasure. Each title, no matter its time period, should be viewed and examined on its own merits.

But hey, if you enjoyed Odin and Harmageddon, more power to you. Don't let us detractors ruin your fun (as I'm sure you're not).

jsevakis wrote:
BTW, Salaryman Joe, I don't for a minute buy that story about the licensing of Odin. I think that was licensed as part of a package from Gaga Communications back in the day.

I'll have to double-check where I heard it. I know it was one of the AWO interviews and I've narrowed it down to two, I just can't remember which. In the meantime, I'll edit my original post to note speculation and poor memory.
Anime World Order

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:09 am Reply with quote
jsevakis wrote:

SalarymanJoe wrote:
I'll have to double-check where I heard it. I know it was one of the AWO interviews and I've narrowed it down to two, I just can't remember which. In the meantime, I'll edit my original post to note speculation and poor memory.

You probably heard the story during the Odin review with Mike Toole, though it should be noted that the anecdote was prefaced with some sort of "I have no proof that this is true" type disclaimer. I'm somewhat skeptical that Gaga Communications was involved with the Odin deal, since a trailer for it wasn't included on that infamous promotional tape of theirs. MD Geist was though, under the name "Thunder Warrior." I get a kick out of that trailer because it describes MD Geist as "high energy, high CONCEPT animation" (I think that's the quote) while somewhat awkwardly editing around all the gory violence. Sure, Gaga Communications could have conceivably been handling titles other than what was on that tape, but based on what Rob Fenelon said regarding his interactions with Yoshinobu Nishizaki and his West Cape Corporation, I don't think "The Nish" would have left the licensing of one of his properties in the hands of anyone else.

Based on what's on the tape, I assume that the titles CPM licensed as part of the package deal with Gaga is as follows: Crystal Triangle, Project A-Ko, They Were Eleven, Yotoden, Roots Search, The Humanoid, and MD Geist. Each and every single one of those is Buried Treasure/Garbage!
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website My Anime My Manga
SalarymanJoe

PostPosted: Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:36 am Reply with quote
Anime World Order wrote:
You probably heard the story during the Odin review with Mike Toole, though it should be noted that the anecdote was prefaced with some sort of "I have no proof that this is true" type disclaimer.

I thought it was during the Odin review but I wasn't thinking of Mike Toole. I'm sure you're right, seeing as you did the review

Sorry for putting words in anyone's mouth or mistakingly promoting something that's hardly, remotely true.
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
Page 5 of 6