• remind me tomorrow
  • remind me next week
  • never remind me
Subscribe to the ANN Newsletter • Wake up every Sunday to a curated list of ANN's most interesting posts of the week. read more

Forum - View topic
Buried Garbage - M.D. Geist

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Note: this is the discussion thread for this article

Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JackLee1978

PostPosted: Tue Oct 07, 2008 10:11 pm Reply with quote
I own the Mech Masters set and the only thing worth anything on it are the two soundtracks included. M.D. Geist is bad, but not as bad as I've heard. Cybernetics Guardian is ok, but I think that maybe because it's not to long. Genocyber is too confusing , but too bad for me to watch again.

The thing that pisses me off the most is that so much love was given to this crap but not to Dominion Tank Police and Record of Lodoss War: Chronicles of the Heroic Knight.
Lee1981

PostPosted: Thu Oct 09, 2008 5:36 pm Reply with quote
I actually think Cybernetics Guardian is okay, but there are just so many problems with it, one of which is how the music not only fails to put you into any given scene, but completely takes you out of it. I also think they could have developed that cult a little better than they did as well. I figured since a lot of people hate it and you don't see too much praise for it then maybe it might be an okay candidate for the Buried Garbage segment. I don't know.
Ganheddo

PostPosted: Sat Nov 01, 2008 10:12 am Reply with quote
Despite his human appearance, Geist is a true technological product, constructed to perform and function.
Devoid of any human feelings, he isn't one of those macho anti-heroes (he doesn't even seem to have a libido), so insults like chauvinistic or sexist entirely miss the point.

Furthermore Ohata's movie indeed doesn't give a shit about sophisticated plotlines. Instead it is about machines and technology, displayed throughout relentless fighting.

So yeah, if someone needs said deep plot or doesn't have an admiration for the mechanical designs, then there's probably not much to like about MD Geist. Especially considering how uncompromising it is, I can see how people might be more than a bit offended by watching it.

But it's this bold rigour, with which Ohata conveyed his vision, that gives it its expressive power, and like Chris Crawford once wrote: "Movies can show text and play music, but text and music are not central to cinema as a medium of expression. Visual action is the essence of cinema; everything else is secondary."

I personally think that this little gem has more artistic merit than most other anime stuff released nowadays (and maybe even back then).

PS:
Is there a DVD release of the original, unaltered 1986 OAV (preferably english subbed)? I'm probably missing something, but all those DVD releases only seem to include the 1996 version?
mrsticky005

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 7:18 pm Reply with quote
MD Geist is one of the greatest anime ever.
Yeah. I said it. Screw the haters. MD Geist is gold!

That said I would LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE
to see a MD Geist reboot. Not that it needs one
but it deserves one. But only one that respects
the trilogy.

Yes I said trilogy. Everyone knows about MD Geist and
MD Geist 2: Death Force. Well there's also a prequel
comic called MD Geist: Ground Zero. It's excellent
and IMO it brings a whole new light on the MD Geist trilogy.

If they had a MD Geist reboot I would say

first movie: MD Geist Ground Zero
second movie: MD Geist 1
third movie: MD Geist 2: Death Force

The reason why I put the prequel first is because
I think watching it will give people a better appreciation
for the MD Geist story since it explains quite a lot.

Also I would like to see maybe some more background
on Vaiya. She is to me the only real low point in the story
but yet I think she COULD be a really awesome character.

But anywho for the few MD Geist fans out there.
I wrote a poem about MD Geist. Here's a link. Enjoy.

[url]mrsticky005.deviantart.com/art/Most-Dangerous-Geist-Poem-207891954[/url]

[/url]
Reply to topic    Anime News Network Forum Index -> Site-related -> Talkback All times are GMT - 5 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6
Page 6 of 6